1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was initially looking for a Ruger sr1911 to tied me over until my Dan Wesson returns from some cosmetic warranty work. I found it in the local gun shop for $865. Knowing absolutely nothing about Springfield's other than they seemed to be well liked by some of the local IDPA shooters, I went ahead and bought it. I use it solely for IDPA. The gun has turned out to be very accurate and reliable.

I put 30 rounds through it prior to my first weekly club match. I found the trigger to be really nice, the groups to be tight (we rarely shoot over 15yards).

The first club match went flawlessly. We shoot 38 rounds. These are weekly matches held at an indoor range and the turnout averages over 20 shooters. A club member turned me on to the Dawson mags when I first got the Dan Wesson (also 9mm). These magazines just run great.

I purchased a S&A magwell at the recommendation of this group and some vz etc frag magwell grips. I did not research the needed parts that well so I did not have the right parts to fit the magwell. Luckily for me I work close to John at http://jplprecision.com and he was able to fit it for me on very short notice.

I shot the monthly match in Renton yesterday and was becoming even more familiar with the pistol. The only bobble was that my Barney mag does not have a base pad and I did not properly seat it and as such a round was not chambered. Other than that I did not experience any issues in the 83 round 7 stage match. On a side note huge fan of the new electronic scoring.

Shortly after the match I went to a weekly practice session, again the accuracy and smoothness is great. I did notice twice my empty mags did not fully eject from the pistol. Not having my mags numbered I am not sure if it was a mag issue or because I have not yet clean the pistol. 129 rounds were fired at practice.

So 280 rounds fired with no malfunctions. I am really liking it so far. I think a new fiber front sight and extended slide release are my next purchases.

The grip safety rattles audibly when walking around it a bit annoying so I will likely look to have it fixed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384719242.827942.jpg

·
Registered
744 Posts
Another item that works for me is an extended mag release. .you have a great looking gun. I am also in the market for a 9mm target 1911

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You release the slide with your support hand thumb.

I just bought one of these. Sharp as a box o' razors. Slide is so tight it won't always go forward when releasing the slide stop. Gonna take a lot of time and $$$ with SACS to get it up to speed for me.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My choice for action pistol & IDPA. I put in an S&A magwell, Harrison short trigger, slim grips (small hands) and a Dawson FO front sight. The only problems have been either mag or bad ammo related. Trigger is almost as light and sharp as my TRP. I keep thinking I should get it touched up, but why? Besides I'm shooting too much to send it out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I ran about another 41 rounds through the gun at another indoor IDPA shoot. The accuracy is very good and the mags not dropping was not an issue.

After 300 plus round including some super smoking lead I decided it needed a quick cleaning.

I went ahead and cleaned and lubed in in preparation for the Movember Classic Charity match which was held at Renton Fish and Game yesterday. It was a USPSA/IDPA hybrid outlaw match 202 round count minimum. One stage had 40 pieces of steel. The gun ran into a few small issues. One mags not dropping fully when released and the first malfunction occurred during the steel stage and it was a double feed of some sort I will look at the helmet camera footage to see if I can better isolate the issues.

500+ round, so far one malfunction.

I like the gun its a keeper. the only annoying thing is the way too loose grip safety.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to RickB and his mag cleaning episode on the Powerfactor Show

I looked at all my mags last night to see why they were not dropping freely. I did the check Rick mentioned to see if the area in front of the feed lips was splayed open. They were not. I use the Dawson mags and their design , I believe would make this difficult to happen. I did find that on occasion a quick push of the magazine release would cause a binding and the mags to not drop. The mag release is for better words gritty and has a very strong spring. Any ideas on how to fix this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts