1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does adjusting the trigger hex screw do? I assume it lengthens or shortens the trigger but there is no explanation anywhere. Does this change the amount of travel or just reset where the trigger physically sits?

Secondly, once someone kindly tells me what adjusting the screw does, which direction of turn does what (looking from the barrel end)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Trigger Adjust Screw

The screw in the trigger is an overtravel adjust screw.....and typically the user has no reason to adjust it unless you're into competition shooting and need a quick trigger reset. Basically how it works is that the overtravel adjust screw limits how far back the trigger will travel...the screw makes contact with the magazine release "button" internally in the frame.

Turning the screw clockwise (in) reduces the travel of the trigger and makes for a quicker reset....turning the screw counter-clockwise (out) increased the trigger travel. NOTE: unless you really know what your doing...I wouldn't recommend adjusting it (it may very well be loc-tited as it is). If you decrease the trigger travel too far (turning it in) you may very well find the nose of the sear hitting the half-cock notch of the hammer as it falls....this is a BAD thing. If you adjust it way to far..you'll actually prevent the hammer from dropping because the trigger can't disengage (i.e. push back) the sear.

Typically what I do when adjusting the travel screw is to turn it in until I feel the nose of the sear contacting the hammer as you lower the hammer by hand (by holding onto it as you lower it) and then start backing the screw out slowly until I don't feel the nose of the sear contacting the hammer anymore....then I turn it an additional 1/4 turn to make sure I've got clearance.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Re: Trigger Adjust Screw

vapors750 said:
Typically what I do when adjusting the travel screw is to turn it in until I feel the nose of the sear contacting the hammer as you lower the hammer by hand (by holding onto it as you lower it) and then start backing the screw out slowly until I don't feel the nose of the sear contacting the hammer anymore....then I turn it an additional 1/4 turn to make sure I've got clearance.
Thanks for the info. I had mine adjusted too tight -- not enough overtravel.

Mike

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This is just a "fun" / plinking pistol, so I'll probably wait and see if it causes a problem before I Locktite it. It may have been Locktite'd before -- it was very hard to turn and doesn't give the impression it's going to move.

Then again, I have had the FLGR on my "Loaded" loosen up, and grip-screws, so I guess you never know.

Question -- I installed the "Loaded" adjustable trigger in my Mil-Spec on Sunday, and dry-fired it maybe 100-200 (not exactly sure) times since then -- with the overtravel set too low and a slight "drag" on the half-cock notch.

Is there LIKELY any damage?

Mike

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Michael_Aos said:
Question -- I installed the "Loaded" adjustable trigger in my Mil-Spec on Sunday, and dry-fired it maybe 100-200 (not exactly sure) times since then -- with the overtravel set too low and a slight "drag" on the half-cock notch.

Is there LIKELY any damage?

Mike [/B]
Probably not. If it was only dragging slightly, you're probably fine...if it was really hitting the sear nose, it might have peened it a bit..but you'd probably notice the trigger pull get more creepy as it happened.

Guy here at work got a new S&W 1911, they put the overtravel screw in from the back (don't know if that was intentional or a screwup on S&W's part) but the adjustment was not correct and you could feel the sear nose catch the half cock notch hooks as the hammer was thumbed down. When I looked at the sear nose, I couldn't see any signs of damage.....that was after about 200 rounds of live fire.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the Mil-Spec .38 Now.

With the addition of the "Loaded" trigger, it feels more like my SA Micro-Compact .45 and SA "Loaded" full-size stainless in .40 S&W.

The trigger-pull measures right at 4lbs, and pretty darned crisp -- and now very little overtravel as well.

Woo hoo!

:D

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts