1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could tell me a little about the Loaded Chamber indicator. SA's website has very little information on it, as far as I can tell. Basically, I have two questions:

1. Where on the frame is it located?

and

2. Is it possible to get rid of it? What part(s) would I need to do so?

Thanks guys.

(By the way, I am interested in purchasing the Mil-Spec model, PB9108L.)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Marbo. Actually, it was those very same pictures that were confusing me: I couldn't tell what I was looking at!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My 2001 SA Champion has it.
In essence, it's a small slot cut that will allow you to see a portion of the brass casing should a round be in the chamber. Pretty simple design really.

When I first read the description I expected it to be similar to the Beretta design which, I believe, is a raised pin kind of thing. I never could figure that thing out.

Mac

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well can you "feel" if there's a round in the chamber? If not, that's kind of a wash...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The indicator is just a milled slot at the top rear of the barrel hood.

If you see a brass reflection - it's loaded. If not - not.

It's not an elegant approach - but certainly functional.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. It's located on the barrel, not the frame.
2. You can replace the barrel to get rid of it.
In essence, it's a small slot cut that will allow you to see a portion of the brass casing should a round be in the chamber. Pretty simple design really.
Does this mean that there is a hole in the slide as well?

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's for California, Massachusetts, New York, etc.... The states that require certain features in order to be sold there. Sig, Glock, HK, et al are also doing it. Have pity on our less fortunate brethren that have the misfortune to live in those states. Don't forget, with some bad luck, it may be you some day.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Must be the marketing...otherwise they'd have made it usable in the dark!
Don't need it anyway...Just wrap yer' fingers around the top at the rear sight and pull...stick yer' lil' finger in the port...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Originally posted by GI-45:
Does this mean that there is a hole in the slide as well?
The cut is at the face of the chamber/barrel hood on the top side. It is aligned with the back edge of the ejection port on the slide so no cut is needed there.

Mac

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's NOT just a marketing gimick! As FLSi pointed out, some states require it as a "Safety Device" so that your average school shooter will KNOW that his gun is loaded BEFORE he initiates his intended mass murder. Oh well, it makes sense to THEM!

Then again, several competators were "called" at this weeks IPSC match for "press checking" their guns with either a hand, arm, or finger in front of the muzzle. The Springfield cut would have prevented the embarasement.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
Nra Golden Eagle

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I've got enough holes thanks...One in, One out...LOL...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts