1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new loaded champion for 825. Its SS with night sights. Usually i research about a gun before i buy it but this one felt so good in my hand and i thought the price was really good. Anyone have any bad experience with these? I got for a carry pistol, my fullsize Springfield was just a little too big for me. I was determined to get a kimber but again i thought this was a good value. Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I think you made a fine choice!

A good price on a hard to find model. That is cheaper than I have seen on the net, when you actually find them that is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Loaded Champion is definately one of my favorite pistols. Mine has been 100% with any ammo I feed it and is very accurate, as well. I feel certain you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Congrats on a fine pistol! (now lets see some pics) :)

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Good price I just saw a new Champion for $950.00. IMHO they are far better than Kimber, and I should know as I have one of each. The Kimber is a safe queen, and my Champion SS Loaded is my EDC. Not that you will need it but S/A Warranty is for the life of the pistol, Kimber is one year. Rest easy you done good real good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was another reason i went with SA...Well i broke it in. was putting back together and put the infamous scratch on it. Oh well its a carry pistol not a safe queen...still upsetting though.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have had one for a few months. You'll like it! Have a 3", a 4, a 4.25, some 5's and a 45ACP revolver ... the Champ is the accuracy king!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Welcome to the club. Look at it as a character mark. Mine was used and already had the scratch. If it's not too deep you might be able to polish it out with some flitz. That's the good thing about polished stainless steel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Champion in waiting

I just ordered one last week for 895. Have been watching and wanting one for over a year now. You got a very good deal!! It wil be around Christmas before I get mine. I can't wait. Congrats ivie...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Never had a problem with any of my 4 Champions and the oldest is about 10 years old now and has 40,000 rounds through it. Well it may look like hell, nothing more than general maintenance has been performed and springs replaced.

·
Registered
673 Posts
now let springfield do a bob job for ya--they did mine and i really like a bobbed 45--a poor mans ed brown

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Damn, Combat Vet.

That is an awsome collection! Did Springfield gave you any discount coupon when you made any purchase???? Care to post why you stayed with their brand???? Just curious, don't mean to start any flame war.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Damn, Combat Vet.

That is an awsome collection! Did Springfield gave you any discount coupon when you made any purchase???? Care to post why you stayed with their brand???? Just curious, don't mean to start any flame war.
DArBad,

Thanks for the nice words. Unfortunately, that's not the entire collection as there are 3 that are away at the custom shop and/or being repaired.

I do not want to start a flame war either. This is just my opinion and I have been a faithful product owner for over 15 years.

I will try to bullet point why I have chosen Springfield as my 1911 manufacturer:

1. Lifetime warranty
2. Excellent Customer Service
3. One of the best Custom Shops in the world for a production gun manufacturer
4. FBI adopted Springfield pistols in their trial for the HRT (Sure a lot of controversy over this one, but SA stood up and said we will take care of you for the life of the pistol where other manufacturer's decided it was not in their best interest to continue as with any Government contract)
5. Consistent quality control/manufacturing
6. Forged slides and frames standard in production
7. Most custom guns are built on Springfield platforms (along with Colt)
8. Primarily made in America by Americans! Sure the forgings are from Brazil and some pistols are primarily finished or assembled in Brazil; so are a lot of other manufacturer's.

That's the primary bullet points. Sure, the SA 1911 is the Ford F150 line of pistols they can hold their own and any job you can throw at them.

Every problem ever experienced with a Springfield has been rectified by SA above and beyond the call of duty without question.

I've had Kimbers, RIA's, and Colt's. Out of the group, Springfield has done me right every single time; which I cannot say for the other brands. So I have sold off the other 1911's over time and tried others and kept going back to SA.

With some of the manufacturer's I have gotten so upset with their pistols and the run around with Customer Service and repairs (Colt, Kimber and HK) that I sold them off after all the drama.

I would not hesitate to recommend Springfield, trust my life or others lives with their product offerings. Basically, I found something that works well for me and I have no intent of straying from what works and I like. Of course, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Combat Vet,

Thanks for the response and the insight. I always respect people who walk their talk---- meaning, those who recommend a certain brand and owns & continually buy said brand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Combat Vet, thanks for the info.

I am considering putting Crimson Trace on my loaded micro compact, but to do that I have replace or modify the ambi-safety. Any tips?

And thanks for your service.

Retired US Army Infantry 1SG; served with the Corps for four years, 'Nam '65-'66; then gave the Army another 20!!!!

Hoo-aah!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Combat Vet, thanks for the info.

I am considering putting Crimson Trace on my loaded micro compact, but to do that I have replace or modify the ambi-safety. Any tips?

And thanks for your service.

Retired US Army Infantry 1SG; served with the Corps for four years, 'Nam '65-'66; then gave the Army another 20!!!!

Hoo-aah!
I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, sorry!!!

Tawcat, Thanks to you for your service as well!

I don't care for ambi safeties on a gun for the main reason that when bumped from your strong side can easily disengage and the risk of AD/ND/Injury/Death is too great.

My carry pistols only have single sided safeties. If you look closely there are 9 or so 1911's that only have a single sided safety.

My preference to safeties come from Ed Brown and also for ignition parts; however, I like the geometry of Wilson hammers.

My personal recommendation is have a competent gunsmith fit a single sided Ed Brown safety to your ignition group.

I have seen first hand, safeties that have had the pad trimmed to "miss" the laser on the right side of the weapon, but it takes away from the symmetrical look of an ambi safety and IMO it was nearly not functional for a "combat" weapon.

Good choice on Crimson Trace. I have seen way too many "internal guide rod" lasers fail in my time locking a weapon up.

Basic philosophy, KISS!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I am sorry but, that dog just don't hunt. Ambi safety are no more prone to disengagement than a single sided safety. When properly fit they function and stay on safe. I carry concealed everyday with a Champion SS Loaded with ambi safety for almost a year now. I have not found the gun off safe, ever. Sitting in a car getting in and out still good. It has never hung up on cloths either. Besides as long as you maintain good trigger safety it doesn't matter if the thumb safety is on or off. As far as lasers go, IMHO they break the KISS rule and Murphy's Law. What will go wrong will go wrong at the worst time possible. Batteries will be dead when you need them most. Put the money in ammo and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am sorry but, that dog just don't hunt.
That dog hunted for me once. I prefer single sided safeties because of the hunting of that dog:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts