1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My loaded came with a pretty ugly GS to frame fit. I have read about people doing all sorts of things to their mil-specs, but not much on the loadeds. So my question is what GS (brand) has the appropriate radius for the loaded model? I would rather fit the safety to the frame, so is there an oversized GS that will work? If anyone has done this on a loaded, could they please post their pics
Thanks!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't know of any oversized GS for Springfields. I would just send it back and have them fit it. It will look good and cost you nothing. Sorry I couldn't help. I have added BTGS to my Milspec but the loaded comes with it, so to get an oversized to fit closer to the frame tangs would be difficult.

Good Luck

Dog

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I don't know of any oversized GS for Springfields. I would just send it back and have them fit it. It will look good and cost you nothing. Sorry I couldn't help. I have added BTGS to my Milspec but the loaded comes with it, so to get an oversized to fit closer to the frame tangs would be difficult.

Good Luck

Dog
I seriously doubt that the SA custom shop would fit a new GS for free. The gap in the Loaded models isn't a flaw, its just the way it is.

jeffrice, you might be able to get a nicer fit out of a Smith & Alexander GS, but it really depends on how much has been cut off on the frame tangs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Agent,

I agree, I felt there was a difference between "Ugly" fit and a normal factory fit. If it's a normal factory fit, as in the one I own, it looks pretty darn good, certainly not in the "custom fit" catagory, but looks nice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're going to need a .220 radius to fit the Springfield frame. Check out Smith & Alexander.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Agent,

I agree, I felt there was a difference between "Ugly" fit and a normal factory fit. If it's a normal factory fit, as in the one I own, it looks pretty darn good, certainly not in the "custom fit" catagory, but looks nice.
I was looking at a Loaded the other day in my local shop and noticed how big the gap was between the GS and frame. And you're right, its not that its ugly, as in sloppy, but its just that its a mass produced guns and the fitting isn't very careful.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
You're going to need a .220 radius to fit the Springfield frame. Check out Smith & Alexander.
.220" from S&A is only for the GI and Mil-Specs. I haven't fit one myself, but from what I understand and have seen, it doesn't look the same as a properly fit .250" radius would.

If you have a loaded and want a different non-Springfield GS, I'm afraid you're either going to end up with some unsightly gaps in the finished product, or you're going to have to cough up the bucks to have the tangs welded up, recut, GS fit, and then refinished.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I called S&A and they confirmed that their GS is a no-go. I talked to Wilson and they told me that their GP fitted with their jig should be "perfect" that they install their part# 298 on many springfields. Has anyone fit a Wilson to their Loaded?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Ok, so I called S&A and they confirmed that their GS is a no-go. I talked to Wilson and they told me that their GP fitted with their jig should be "perfect" that they install their part# 298 on many springfields. Has anyone fit a Wilson to their Loaded?
Did S&A say their special Springfield grip safety was a no-go on the Loaded, or that all of their grip safeties were a no go for the Loaded?

I believe the Wilson #298 is just a standard .250" radius grip safety. S&A also makes standard .250" radius grip safeties. I would call S&A back and ask them again. The last time I called, I received a 15 minute discertation on how S&A used to supply Springfield grip safeties and other parts, then Springfield kind of screwed them and started casting the exact same grip safety in-house to save money, how Springfield doesn't really have a SS grip safety, just a chromed steel one that mimics SS, yada yada yada......and I finally had to just hang up the phone.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kevins_garage
The lady at S&A told me they have no GS for the Loaded, or at least none that would fit/look good.

Chuck S
The issue with my loaded is that the GS is quite loose (jiggle back and forth) as well as the unsightly gap.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Chuck S said:
What's the issue with the Loaded?

Looks just fine to me. This isn't a $2500 Pro Operator.
Yeah, looks great. :confused:

jeffrice said:
The lady at S&A told me they have no GS for the Loaded, or at least none that would fit/look good.
S&A sells both a .220" and a standard .250" radius GS, so if neither of theirs would fit/look good on a Loaded, it is pretty safe to say that a standard .250" radius GS from anyone else, even the Wilson #298, won't fit/look good on a Loaded either.

Those are the breaks when you buy Springfield though. If you want a standard GS, break out the checkbook, or settle for a fit that would make an established smith puke :barf:.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Jeffrice, do you have a pic of your grip safety? If it looks really bad, and has too much play, send the pics with a detailed description of your issue to Springfield and ask them.

If it is really bad, the tangs can be welded (material added via solver soldering) and recut for a new beavertail. This will be an expensive option (check out Chuck Rogers' work for an idea of what to expect.

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts