1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a WC Protector, and it obviously came with WC 8 round mags. Plan on carrying the gun for personal protection and keeping around the house for home protection. How long should I keep the mags loaded. Should I buy several more so that they can be rotated often. Concerned about weakening springs.

Thanks
Junior

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
IIRC springs weaken through use ie unloading and loading magazines. I've never had any magazine spring related problems and have kept them loaded constantly for several years at a time, with the exception of actually shooting. Never had any problems. However if you think it's better to rotate and load and unload and it gives you piece of mind then do so.

Sorry if that sounded snippy as that was not my intent.

Gator

------------------
www.afn.org/~guns

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Springs left compressed will indeed take a "set". Leave one compressed for a month or two, then take the spring out, and compare to a new one. It will be shorter.

I change all my mag springs once a year.

PS - FBI who carry 1911's have been instructed to change their mag springs every 6 months.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Magazines will continue to function for decades after being left fully loaded.

Constantly loading and unloading is what stresses the springs.

I've never seen a mag that failed to function because it had been loaded too long. I've seen mags loaded in WWII function flawlessly in 1998, a shotgun loaded right after the Korean War function perfectly last year, Mags loaded during the Vietnam war function like new in the 1980s, and I recently found 7 AR mags that had been loaded in 1981 that worked perfectly 20 years later (and continue to do so).

Look at a new Wilson mag spring. Now load the mag and leave it that way for a week or two. It will be shorter, as it takes the set it's supposed to take in order to function correctly. Should it be replaced? No way!

The FBI works on manufacturer's recommendations, and I've noticed the trend everywhere to recommend new springs way too often. It seems like Wilson was claiming a new pump shotgun spring was needed every 6 months if kept loaded. I'm sure if this is true, we all have "useless" shotguns sitting around somewhere. Hmmmmmmm...it seems like Wilson supplies the FBI mags don't they?

Remember that the FBI is spending your money, so they can afford to blow it on unnecessary items.

Troy over at AR15.com is a magazine wizard, and can clue anyone interested into the true facts concerning magazines.

I've got 1911 .38 Super mags that were cycled roughly 250 times(each) a year from 1970 to 1997 without a problem. The only reason they got new springs was to increase the capacity.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Sorry Walking Point, I tend to disagree. I have had Wilson mags that I have kept loaded for 10-12 months and CONTINUOUSLY had problems with last round getting hung up. I changed to new mag spring, and the problem dissapeared. I have had similar experiences with my Paras. I chalked it up to the so called double-stack un-reliability factor (which I dissagree with too!), but a change of mag springs cured this problem too. I now make it a habit to change my mag springs once a year. I have NEVER had a mag feed related problem in 5 years since I adopted this rule.

NOTE- these mags were not in my regular duty cycle. They did sit compressed for the 10-12 months I mentioned. Unloading and loading was never a factor.

Besides, for the cost of a new mag spring, why debate if you are right, or I am.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi jbjunior.
I have to agree with swampgator and Walking Point. Mag springs wear from cycling the spring, not from leaving them loaded. A new spring will always take a set after being compressed the first time. A good quality spring will stay at that "set" length until it has been cycled passed it's life time, then it will shorten drasticly. This life time for my springs is usually about a 100 cycles or more in my competition mags. The gun and mags used for personal protection should be used, (test fired) on some sort of regular time frame that you are comfortable with. This will test the gun and mag for function and rotate the factory ammo you are using. If the gun runs every you pick it up, you will feel confident with it. If the gun malfunctions, then it's time to find the problem. If it is mag spring related, they are cheap, (related to all your other gun gear), so replace it. Recoil springs need to be replace too, about every 3 to 5 thousand rounds depending on the gun.

------------------
Beven Grams
Owner
Grams Engineering
2435 Norse Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
phone: 949-548-3745
fax: 949-548-8122
email: ([email protected])
web: (www.gramseng.com)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts