1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dec 26 I bought a brand new 'Loaded' model. Today I went to the range and afterwards detail stripped and cleaned.

Here goes:

Outright, the Loaded is a looker, very nice!

At the range I fired 150 rounds, 100 lead reloads and 50 G.I. surplus. It had 2 FTFs total, both being my reloads and both being the rear of the case sitting high with the nose trying to enter the chamber. Accuracy was great, I only shot 10 and 15 yards and with my reloads I was getting one giant hole groups. The G.I. ammo (1943) did well also but I had several fliers with that ammo. Only other incident was a failure to lock open after the first mag, but this gun is tight, and I mean TIGHT!

Cleaning was fun as always, I'm not used to two-piece guide rods, don't really care for it but I haven't any reason to change it just yet. Openning 'er up I cleaned the gun using Firepowers' CAC-10 followed by FP-10, it's now clean as a whistle. The extractor had little tension so I 'tuned' it, I really don't care for Springfield's extractor but for now I want to keep this one all original. The outside of the slide was peppered with brass marks behind the port, now hand ejecting dummy rounds they launch with authority.

I don't know if it's a problem or not but my last two Springfields show very minimum barrel clearance. I don't have the proper guages to measure the clearance So I made one out of a paper clip. I just barely have .015 with the barrel hanging in the slide and less than that with the gun assembled.

The loaded model comes with an adjustable overtravel screw on the trigger, mine was not adjusted correctly as the sear was bumping the halfcock(or quarter cock) shelf. Now that screw resides in my spare parts box, problem solved.

The rear sight(Novak) and the grip screws were loose by the time I finished at the range so I opted to use red loc-tite on the rear sight and blue on the grip screws and two piece guide rod on reassembly.

The Springfield mags didn't get used during this range trip. I kept them seperated from my other mags and just simply forgot to include them in todays shooting.

Slide to frame fit is very tight yet the bushing is not, but it shoots great, I have no complaints.

Oh, almost forgot, I do not like front slide serrations yet the Loaded models' look good. I couldn't stand the front serrations on my Kimber but I actually like these.

Thanks for reading :)

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got one for Christmas. 100 rounds, Only had 4 FTFs, and that was with Wilson magazine. S/A factory magazines worked perfectly.

Very accurate, a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well sorry guys, I tried to get some pics but they show up too dark. Then the file is always too large, I give up....waaaahh!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spartacus2002 said:
I just got one for Christmas. 100 rounds, Only had 4 FTFs, and that was with Wilson magazine. S/A factory magazines worked perfectly.

Very accurate, a dream to shoot.
Which model did you get Spartacus?

Stephen A. Camp said:
Hello, and thank you for the detailed report. It is appreciated.

Best.
Hello there Mr. Camp, Thanks, and you are welcome. :)

t-tac said:
Are they pinning or glueing the ejector in the frame?
The ejector is pinned, as is my WWII G.I. model.

The front night sight which is dovetailed is also pinned.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Change the Guide rod for a one piece and get rid of the ILS set up.
It will feel like a whole differant gun.
Good to see they are back pinning the ejectors.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
t-tac said:
Change the Guide rod for a one piece and get rid of the ILS set up.
It will feel like a whole differant gun.
Good to see they are back pinning the ejectors.
I've got plenty of standard guide rod 'plugs', I wonder if you can use the 'head' of the two piece'er with a standard plug?

You know I've heard all these complaints of trigger pulls on ILS guns but I couldn't ask for a better pull in mine. t-tac, did you change yours out? If so did your original mainspring have white paint on some of the last coils? Mine don't feel like 28#ers.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
The Springfield I had with the ILS I traded before I could mess with it. Don't ask.
The impression I got with the ILS system was that it had a decent trigger pull from the factory, The heavy spring in the ILS system was the only factor that made it heavy.
Do a search on the ILS system a few members changed them out and it was like getting a full trigger job for cheap.
As for the Guide Rod either go Full length or the G.I set up.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought about a Stainless but never saw one while I had the cash in my hands, oh well too late now :D

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nice report. About the only thing I alter on a new Springfield is that guide rod, and it's got to go. Replace mine with Brown parts so that I don't need a tool of any kind for field stripping.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks col132 :)

Previously I asked about the mainspring being painted white, well I can put it to rest, I just called Springfield and Mark told me, after asking his peers, the paint means nothing. Probably just a vendors' way of marking their springs.

I asked why one end of the spring was open and one closed and he informed me that the springs are cut down for proper function during assembly of the ILS set ups. Also, I was told I should have the closed coil end of the spring on top(mine wasn't) and could feel the drag of the spring. I'll change it around when I get home tonight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts