1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few months ago, I bought one of their loaded, full-size weapons and have had nothing but problems with it.

First, it had several FTF, but I was using that super cheap (there's a reason) American Ammo. With good ball, it has done well.

Second, the rear novak keeps falling off. I think this had to do with a super-saturation of oil. The gun literally swam in a pool of lube when I opened the box and I'm still trying to get rid of it all. That problem might have been solved now that the site finally fell off and I was able to remove the puddle of oil that was forming a hydrostatic wedge.

Third, the full-length recoil spring guide rod, a two-piecer, keeps unthreading. After a dozen or so shots, you have to tighten it back up and it doesn't matter how much torque you put on the thing.

Fourth, well, support from SA seems to be absolutely pitiful. I've dropped them a few emails and they seem (maybe I'm reading too much into a few words) entertained by my troubles. This is hardly the response I had anticipated. Rather, they should have demanded that I ship the gun back to them so they could correct the problems.

Well, it might take awhile but I think I can get this thing up to good enough condition that I won't fear using it on duty. As it stands now, I wouldn't even use it as a house defender....and that's pretty sad.

I would caution everyone to think long and hard before buying from this company. Or at the very least, buy their mil-spec and have your own gunsmith, who you can trust, supe it up. You'll save money in the long run and serious frustration in the short.

------------------
When reason fails...

· Registered
18 Posts
I have a (loaded) model and no problems
other then the 2 piece rod and I fixed
that the first time it happened with
teflon tape on the threads, it has not
come loose again.I have fired blazer,
win.lawman, and my reloads 185gr swc.
with no feeding problems.The Novack
back sight has not come loose I have
heard others say that it does,however
Locktite should fix that. Mine is super
tight and accurate. If i had problems I
would call their customer service I find
that most companies dont respond well to
email.

------------------

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't doubt you're right, Clip, but what gets me is that these problems happen to begin with. When I asked, the only aid they offered was, "a drop of blue loctite on the threads....."

That's not my idea of customer service.

This gun is rated as being very accurate, but that has to be as a whole, not every specific weapon. With all the oil on it, there was no way to keep the site on during a test fire, let alone predict accuracy.

I'll definitely try the teflon tape on the guiderod. That is almost as good an idea as the skateboard tape for the frontstrap.

Of course, this could also be construed as a cosmic suggestion to purchase another type of 1911!! Hopefully, that one will be less than right for me and I'll be forced to buy yet another one......

------------------
When reason fails...

· Registered
87 Posts
Why do I have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach? I just ordered a SA 1911-A1 loaded and it should arrive on 05/04/00. I have been lurking for a month and have not heard a bad thing about them until I ordered one. :EEK:

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a Springfield Loaded, and no complaints. You do have to teflon-tape or Loctite the guide rod, but if I was terribly irritated by that, I'd just get a one-piece replacement. American Ammunition doesn't feed well, but EVERYTHING else does. I only buy the stuff when there's nothing else; finally got 45 ACP dies so that shouldn't be a problem now either.

I would beef about the rear sight, but give it a shot after getting the oil out. No problems with my Novak.

Still, I'm a bit happier with my Kimber and Colt, accuracy-wise. Could just be my lousy shooting ...

· Registered
145 Posts
<First, it had several FTF, but I was using that super cheap (there's a reason) American Ammo. With good ball, it has done well.>

Use good ball. Also, you could polish the feedramp with a dremel, felt bob and jewelers rouge. Remeber, you are not removing metal, just polishing. If don't have a dremel, you can use a wooden dowel and some crocus cloth.

<Second, the rear novak keeps falling off. I think this had to do with a super-saturation of oil. The gun literally swam in a pool of lube when I opened the box and I'm still trying to get rid of it all. That problem might have been solved now that the site finally fell off and I was able to remove the puddle of oil that was forming a hydrostatic wedge.>

De-grease the dovetail and the sight with Simple Green (or any other de-greaser)and reinstall. You probably won't even need the Loc-tite. If it still loosens, 1 LITTLE drop of blue Loc-tite will do the job.

<Third, the full-length recoil spring guide rod, a two-piecer, keeps unthreading. After a dozen or so shots, you have to tighten it back up and it doesn't matter how much torque you put on the thing.>

Use the teflon tape or a LITTLE drop of blue Loc-tite. If you don't want to do this, call Springfield and ask for Lisa or Frank. Tell them of the problem and ask them to send you a standard guide rod. They probably will do so with no charge. Take out the 2 piece and use the standard.

<Fourth, well, support from SA seems to be absolutely pitiful. I've dropped them a few emails and they seem (maybe I'm reading too much into a few words) entertained by my troubles. This is hardly the response I had anticipated. Rather, they should have demanded that I ship the gun back to them so they could correct the problems.>

SA customer service is outstanding. Call them on their toll-free number, don't rely on email. Again, ask for Lisa or Frank. They have been extremely responsive and helpful when I have talked to them. Also, if you need to send them the gun, ask them to pay the shipping. They will do so, both ways.

Frank

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a SA Loaded that I use for IDPA, I have not had any trouble with it.

The two piece guide rod was thrown out right after I bought it. I put in a standard plug and guide.

This is the first time I've heard about the Novak problem. I've put over 5,000 rounds through the gun and the sights haven't even budged!

I use mag pack magazines exclusively.

Anyway, your problems are minor. None of them are worth bothering customer service over.

Is this your first gun?

· Registered
53 Posts
Here is another vote to toss the 2 piece guide rod. Works great now, didn't have to go look for that very expensive teflon tape (grin) that I only needed a little piece of...(LOL) Once it's done, you never worry about it again.

HTH

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I didn't want to say anything, but what I've described so far isn't the worst of it.

As discussed on another page, the thumb safety is apparently cut wrong. When the trigger is pulled hard with the safety engaged, then disengaged, the hammer drops to the half-cock position.

Steve Clark came online and diagnosed the problem as I described it so I'm confident there is a mechanical problem on top of the more minor things.

Steve could be wrong, but I don't guess I'll chance it. Fixing the little stuff isn't a problem for me, though I don't appreciate having to do this on what is reputed to be a top-shelf weapon.

That I got a gun that's bad in a bad way is unacceptable. And I think I'll bother SA customer service about it.

Again, thanks to all for the thoughts. I hope your experiences are better than mine.

------------------
When reason fails...

· Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased my second SA the ultra
compact version, it's very accurate,
more then I thought a 3.5" barrel could
be,fired approx. 100 rounds of reloads
185gr swc (lite loads) no ftf. So if you
get a bad one send it back.!!!

------------------

· Registered
6 Posts
Out of order:
1. Use teflon tape and the trouble goes away.
2. Take off your rear sight. Clean the cut and the sight with brake cleaner. Reassemble.
3. Springfield Aromor is great on the phone. Call the number and immediately ask for the 1-800 number, then call back and aske to speak to Lisa or Frank (as others have said).
4. American Ammo, and I have most recently found, is out of spec ammo. The cases are much thicker than Federal, Speer, Winchester--you name it. Forget trying to use that AA stuff, and DEFINATELY forget about reloading with it!

------------------
Frontsight!
=========================
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

· Registered
47 Posts
Last july I bought a S.S. 1911-A1 loaded.
It has been my constant companion since.
The two piece guide rod has come loose. I average 250 to 400 rnds. each range session.The rod only loosens about 1/2 a turn and does not cause a malfunction. It is only noticed during cleaning. A 1/2 drop of blue lock-tight has solved the problem. Evan after removing the guide for cleaning, the dried lock-tight needs not to be replaced and still keeps the rod tight.

The rear sight has not moved at all. Any firearm purchased should be cleaned of any oil that the gun is shiped with prior to shooting. I have shot six 8" plates at 40 yrds. with 6 shots. I put down six plates with six shots if I do my part with the gun. Also, with factory ball ammo, I have drawn the gun, put two in center mass and one to the head on two targets, reloaded and repeated the drill on one more target. All with an avg. time of 5 1/4 sec. and usually only dropping one point on an I.P.S.C target at 7 yrds. The gun works great and as a full time P.O, I carry the gun onduty and offduty, depending my life on the gun w/out rservation.
I have talked with Debbie in the custom shop. Not for problems but for checkering on he front strap and trigger gaurd. It was done in 3 1/2 wks. and not the 8 wks. she told me it would take. Call S.A. direct. I think you will have better luck.
This is one of the several 1911's which I have owned over the yrs. I want another S.A. 1911.
DISCLAIMER...This is not RG0. It is his friend DJK.

G

·
V.T. If you are reffering to to the de-cocker situation, I am not wrong, have SA correct the problem.SC
As discussed on another page, the thumb safety is apparently cut wrong. When the trigger is pulled hard with the safety engaged, then disengaged, the hammer drops to the half-cock position.

Steve Clark came online and diagnosed the problem as I described it so I'm confident there is a mechanical problem on top of the more minor things.

Steve could be wrong, but I don't guess I'll chance it.

------------------
Serious Guns for Serious People

· Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve, I wasn't implying that you had erred in your diagnosis. You're experience is greater than mine and I think I'll go with what you know;-)

I did talk with Lisa and she was very helpful. I'm readying the weapon for shipment just as soon as I have a spare moment. And am relying on a stinking revolver while on duty.

Again, thanks for all the good ideas. I might replace the FLGR and I might not. Other ideas are still coming to me as I learn more about these fine weapons.

------------------
When reason fails...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.