1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Springfield Loaded 1911-A1 and it has a few problems. The pistol has Novak low mount tritium night sites (3-dot) and the rear sight is mounted way left of center causing the gun to print left. The allen screw is stuck like its been welded in place. I have bent two Allen wrenches but it won't budge. Springfield said sometimes they use blue loctite and that might be the problem. I'm reluctant to heat the screw to free it because of the tritium vials. Also, the gun has a FTE about every 4 rounds with every type of ammo (230 gr ball, hydroshoks etc.). I called Springfield and they said to try different mags. I will try Wilsons and I will also replace the extractor with a Wilson Bullet Proof. I hope this is not the typical performance for these guns. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a parkerized loaded Springfield Armory w/night sights...I had mag problems too, I now have Chip McCormick mags and they work great.The allen screw in my rear sight kept working loose..solved it w/loctite.I also replaced two piece guide rod because it kept getting loose when shooting. Keep working on it, it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Seems I remember a thread a while back dealing with SA's extractors being installed w/ loctite. Try new mags first, replacing the extractor might require a trip to the 'smith.

The rear sight definitely seems to be a problem. Sounds like if you can't get it loose it may also need a 'smith's touch.

Don't let these problems turn you off to a good pistol. It's pretty minor stuff and should be easy to fix. My loaded Champion's been great!

Mac

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
try heating the screw with a heated allen wrench. Make the one of the broken allen wrenchs hot, almost red and leave it in the screw till the heat transfer into the screw. At this point use a good allen wrench to remove the screw.

The mags could cause the problem but I would polish and set the extractor,breech face and ramp to see if that works first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
JoeMc has the right idea with the rear sight; heat the screw, not the whole sight then you shouldn't be worried about loosening the glue holding the tritium vials. I think the rumor was that Springfield ejectors, not extractors, were loctited.

The mags might fix your problem and you need some good mags anyways. Try that first. If not, a quick trip to the smith would probably fix your stock extractor. Don't expect to just drop in a new extractor and have it work without adjusting the tension and maybe even some polishing.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
No...it was the ejectors that are loctited in...the extractor slips in and out like the rest...Sometimes a small head on the soldering iron is the right size to get at tiny parts...just go slow and remember the heat lasts for awhile...don't use more than you need...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will give the soldering iron a try and post the results. For clarification, the ejector is loctited in on the 2001 model and the extractor is still held in place by the firing pin retaining block. I'll let you guys know how the new mags and extractor work also once they arrive. For the record, the gun groups well. It's just about 6 inches to the left because the site is drifted left of center from the factory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems with your SA loaded.

They aren't all bad. Mine went through 250 rounds of mixed ball, Hydra-Shock and reloads, using the 2 supplied mags plus 4 mags I bought with coupons. Not one problem. It's now at my local pistolsmith for a 4# trigger.

If I were you, I'd just ship the gun back for a factory fix. I haven't needed SA service, but it's supposed to be great.

If you are going to install a new extractor, I suggest you visit www.wilsoncombat.com, get the order telephone number and order their '1911 Auto Maintenance Manual', for $10.50 + shipping. There's good info there on inspecting, installing and tuning 1911 extractors - plus much more.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does working on a gun such as polishing the breech face,changing the extractor or having a trigger job voids the manuf. warranty? Do you have to send the gun to Springfield for trigger job? Thanks

Jag

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried a soldering pen and heating a allen wrench to red hot and no luck. I'm going to have to take it to a smith to move this sight. Got the Wilsons but haven't tried them yet either. Maybe Sunday the wife will finish the "Honey Do's" and I can get to the range.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Holy Crap!!!

I guess they didn't want that one adjusted! Geez...contact Dave Williams and see what he says... Here's his address:::

[email protected]

Good Luck and let us know what happens...Sheesh...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK here it is in a nutshell. I brought a 2000 loaded. Went to the range and after about 50 rounds the rear sight feel out. Novak not night sights. Easy fix. Made the decision to have it upgraded to a TRP by the custom shop so in June I sent it to Deb at the shop. 2 months and $520.00 dollars later it is back (Friday last week) part of the upgrade is Novak night sights, took the gun out of the box, looked great, felt great, went into a dark room, and the front sight did not glow at all. I can accept this on a production gun purchased in a gun shop, but when a gun leave the custom shop it should of been right. I have my doubts about quality control at the custom shop. In fairness I have not shot it because of my work schedule, but tommorrow I plan to. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Now that totally sucks...I saw some complaints about Kimber having similar troubles too...Not just one or two, but MANY night sights not lasting more than a few rounds...I guess the "cooties" are everywhere!!!

Sheesh...can't win for losin'

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave was very helpful but his first suggestion of heating a allen wrench had already been tried. He did confirm that they are using blue loctite. For round two he suggested cutting about a 1/4 ench off a allen wrench and using it with a small hammer to gently rap and hopefully break the screw lose. That didn't work either. I don't want to try anything else for fear of causing some damage. Looks like the new gun will be going back to the factory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I went to the range to run a few more rounds through the gun before I sent her back for sight work. As you will recall, I was getting some FTE. As suspected, it was a break-in issue. The gun worked perfect with Wilson and stock mags. While shooting I noticed the sight had drifted over from the recoil. Looks like all my efforts paid off as the Loctite gave way on the allen screw. The range's smith re-centered the sight and tightened her back up. Good to go! Thanks for everyones suggestions. Also, if anyone else has issues with a Springfield I highly recommend contacting Dave.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Your Novak fell out? Sheesh. The Novak on mine was drifted too far to the left when I got it. TWO bent (and severely mushroomed) brass drift punches later I decided to go with a steel punch. This ruined the Novak's logo, of course, but at least the darned thing MOVED. When I got it right I locked it down with the screw. As tight as that sucker fits, the screw is just decoration.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read that yours had FELL OUT. LOL!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm thinking about going colt after reading all of these problems involving the springfields needing so much work. Are there any 1911's that just work without trips to the gunsmith and factory? I want something with decent accuracy, but I want something that will at least hold up. What do you guys think, colt or springfield?

------------------
As always, thanks for the help
-Ryan

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by Wanta1911:
I'm thinking about going colt after reading all of these problems involving the springfields needing so much work.......What do you guys think, colt or springfield?
Colt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts