1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
papaieil

The standard recoil spring weight for a 5 inch pistol is 16 lbs, which is probably what Springfield installed from the factory, since most users will shoot standard pressure .45 ACP ammo. Target (or match ammo) generally needs a 14 lb spring since the ammo is generally loaded to lower pressures. An 18 lb spring is considered "Extra Power" when shooting standard and +P ammo.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
5" M1911 uses a 16# recoil spring. If your brass is ejecting into the next township consider trying an 18# recoil spring.

23# mainspring is commonly replaced with a 19# spring at the same time the recoil spring is bumped up 2#. The lower effort to cock the hammer is offset by the heavier recoil spring. That's the theory anyway. Either change by itself seems to work as well.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loaded Spring

I am picking up my Springfield Loaded tomorrow and I am changing out the guide rod for an Ed Brown 1-piece and plug from Midway USA. My Colts and Ed Browns all have the 1-piece and I've never had a problem. I want to keep them all uniform in this aspect. Do I need to change out the recoil spring too, or will it work on my 1-piece? I have never had, or seen, a 1911 with a full length rod.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The spring that comes with your new 1911 should work for any guide rod set up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have much experience with 1911's with the ILS. I have no intention of removing it. But would a 16# recoil spring be the optimum weight to have with the 28# mainspring?

Also does anbody have any experience of using wolff ExPower 8 round mag springs in a 7 roung mag? In theory, would that do a good job preventing the slide out-running the magazine follower?

If so, what was your experience?

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Buy some Metalform 7 round flush base round top follower magazines and 1000 rounds of .45ACP ammunition. Take a weekend basic tactcal pistol course. Don't make any changes other than ditching the full length recoil spring guide until you've done that.

I've made several changes to my Loaded, but I've been shooting the M1911 for a long time and taking professional training annually.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use 7 round metalform round follower magazines and SA OEM mags exclusively. I am not looking to make any changes to my Springfield 1911. I feel that it does just fine in stock configuration. I was just wondering if I should use a recoil spring greater than 16 pounds because of the ILS mainspring weight.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
papaieil

No, you do not need to change the recoil spring because of the high power main spring. They are working in the same direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts