1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded for a Armory Kote loaded. Very cool psitol, but it has some wicked trigger creep. I have not ever handled a Springfield with the ILS, so I'm wondering if this is normal for this gun. If not, is this something that should go back to Springfield? Its really the worst I've ever felt on a 1911.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Has anyone worked on the pistol ? Original parts ? Did you have a chance to check it before purchase ? If so has this developed recently ?

Some out of the box SAs can be a little gritty but most are not too creepy.

You could try boosting the hammer.

This is a procedure in which, on the SA delta hammer, you most conveniently use a small bit of string to pull up on the hammer (1-2# or so ought to do it) as you pull through the trigger (dry fire of course).

This helps burnish the working surfaces. A drop of your favorite lube on the hammer-sear interface may help this along. Twenty or thirty such pulls may help.

Alternative is about a thousand dry fires or perhaps a few hundred live fires.

If you are still unhappy with it after one of those suggestions, then I would suggest contacting SA to see about getting it fixed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its completely stock, not after market parts or work.

I will try what you suggest. I'm a little surprised at how bad the trigger is on this gun. You would think the "Loaded" package would come with at least a livable trigger pull. The trigger on my Kimber, Colt's and even my Para were far superior right out of the box, and they were the entry level models. I'm wondering if I just got a dud. Thats the way my luck's been running lately.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I haven't found SAs to come with very good trigger pulls right out of the box. All of mine were at least acceptable, with the exception of my Loaded Operator. It was about 6 3/4 lbs and VERY "gritty." The gun went back to SA for a different problem, and I asked them to take care of the trigger pull while it was there. It came back with a VERY crisp 4 1/2 pound trigger. Very nice!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Archer said:
This is a procedure in which, on the SA delta hammer, you most conveniently use a small bit of string to pull up on the hammer (1-2# or so ought to do it) as you pull through the trigger (dry fire of course).

I've heard about this, but they didn't mention the string, or pulling "up". They said just drop some oil on the hammer/sear, and put slight pressure on the back of the hammer, while pulling the trigger (several times).

Fortunately, I had trigger work done before it left the factory, as I had heard that they tend to come with heavy, sometimes "creepy" triggers.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I use the string because I have large fingers, and the beavertail, combined with the hammer shape, makes it inconvenient for me to get a reasonable purchase on the hammer when pulling it in the required direction. YMMV :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Archer said:
I use the string because I have large fingers, and the beavertail, combined with the hammer shape, makes it inconvenient for me to get a reasonable purchase on the hammer when pulling it in the required direction. YMMV :)
Aaaa-ha! I see...BTW, what is YMMV mean?

·
Registered
893 Posts
YMMV= Your Mileage May vary, a disclaimer that says what works for me may or may not work for you :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called Springfield. They said that the 1911's should have a 5-6 lb trigger from the factory. If it falls in that range, no warranty service will be provided. I guess I need to find myself a gauge and have it measured? I've never seen one but have read other posts that refer to them. Any insights?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Try to take it by a local shop. Most places will have one, and will be happy to test it for you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A 5# freeweight disc (or bag of sugar, etc.) and some string will do in a pinch. Simply thread the string attached to the weight through the center trigger hole, secure the grip safety with tape or an elastic band, and SLOWLY lift with the muzzle as vertical as possible toward the ceiling.

Keep adding weight as needed until it trips.

Not the most scientific method, but it does work. (Need I mention, CLEARED PISTOL please.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts