1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of loading 500 rounds of range ammo for 9mm. This load is well below listed maximum Alliant's online data. 4.7 grains of Power Pistol with 147gr Xtreme plated round nose CCI 500 primer. Loads are assembled on Dillon Square Deal. I've chronographed the load in several different 9's and depending on bbl length expect between 950-975 fps. The load was developed a few years back for IDPA and has performed well for me. Thought I would pass it along.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ran 1,500 rounds of Missouri Bullet Company's small ball - 125 gr RNL / .356 into 9mm cases this past weekend using Titegroup. not my favorite powder, but one which I was able to score not one, but two 8 lb jugs of fall of 2020 - which makes it THE powder in the house for 9, 38 special and 45 ACP. It does them all fine.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
The PP load from the OP falls perfectly in line with the data (vel) found in the Hornady manual. Hornady also shows a max of 5.1.
Where does Alliant top out?

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Before the pandemic panic I picked up several thousand Precision Delta 115gr FMJs and Hollow Points. Loaded them over 5.4gr of Unique and the same bullets over 6.0gr of Power Pistol. Both produced accurate and consistent results. I've ran those loads through several different pistols without and problems.

Grumpy

Reactions: mdell49

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
PD certainly is/was the best deal going for bulk.
I just keep plugging away with Zero because of the result.
Then again, both are capable of better results than I can produce! 🤪

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
I am running 124g Xtreme RN over 3.6g W231 in 9mm and am test firing a bunch today when my buddy gets here.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
That’s just a perfect example to use for a nice economical target round.
Vastly superior to factory stuff while at the same time not carrying the overhead of VV powder and a hollow point. Make a billion of them!

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
I am running 124g Xtreme RN over 3.6g W231 in 9mm and am test firing a bunch today when my buddy gets here.
How did the reloads shoot. I don’t consider my range loads hot by any means, but 3.6 seems a little light. Really just curious on how they were.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
How did the reloads shoot. I don’t consider my range loads hot by any means, but 3.6 seems a little light. Really just curious on how they were.
He didn't make it by so I mowed instead....I will let you know this evening. I thought the plated bullets needed to be light loads?

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
He didn't make it by so I mowed instead....I will let you know this evening. I thought the plated bullets needed to be light loads?
Xtreme plated should work without issues through the entire range of loads. Far tougher than the old "copper washed" rounds I started with. If you have any issues with these that might be from light loads, do not be afraid to bump them up. It all may depend on your weapon and the springs you're running.

Grumpy

Reactions: Nitro.45

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
I have 50 loaded with 4.1g VV320 under the same 124g Xtreme RN as well. I have a squib rod in my range bag if I need it.
I need to write down where I found the loads in my reloading journal for cross reference.
The lyman anniversary manual lists 3.6 w231 as a mid range load for a LRN 124g bullet and I thought the plated bullets were loaded like a LRN bullet

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
Xtreme plated should work without issues through the entire range of loads. Far tougher than the old "copper washed" rounds I started with. If you have any issues with these that might be from light loads, do not be afraid to bump them up. It all may depend on your weapon and the springs you're running.

Grumpy
Thanks Grumpy I don't have a 1911 in 9mm, I am building a 9mm but don't have all the parts yet so am borrowing a Tauris to check these.

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
I’m switching from the X-Treme bullets but have shot 10’s of thousands of them (great bullets). When I switched from W-231 to N-320 I found that charges were pretty much interchangeable between the two. That is just my experience and not anything from manufacturers. In any case, I’ve loaded as light as 3.7 and had very usable rounds but very light. My standard load for the 124’s is 4.2 gr of N-320 and have most likely shot over 10,000 of that load.

W-231 shows 3.9-4.4gr for a 124 gr bullet. That was not a plated bullet that they had listed, though.

If I recall right N-320 show a max of 4.3 with a plated 124 gr bullet.

I have never had any issues with the plating on my 124 gr X-Tremes or any X-Treme bullet for that matter. They are an excellent and quite thickly plated bullet, IMO.

I certainly would start low and work my way up using the ladder method but I would think you could certainly go a little higher.

My records show 3.7 gr of W-231 with a 124 gr. X-treme was 935 FPS and 4.2 gr of231 was 1048.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
Thanks Grumpy I don't have a 1911 in 9mm yet, I am building a 9mm but don't have all the parts yet so am borrowing a Tauris to check these.
None of the people I have met here or shoot with in my neighborhood have 1911s. This is a stryker fired group down here. After watching the latest Bill Wilson Gun Guys with Massad I understand why no 1911s,

The Local Gun Smith recommended I go to the Montgomery County Range (100 miles away) to meet more like minded individuals. Maybe after the wife gets here I can.

On a side note I did get in 1000 240g LSW from RimRock so I can start loading again for my 44 Super BlackHawk and S&W 329PD . Now to get some 45s in for my Uberti "Patron" .45Colt

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
I’m switching from the X-Treme bullets but have shot 10’s of thousands of them (great bullets). When I switched from W-231 to N-320 I found that charges were pretty much interchangeable between the two. That is just my experience and not anything from manufacturers. In any case, I’ve loaded as light as 3.7 and had very usable rounds but very light. My standard load for the 124’s is 4.2 gr of N-320 and have most likely shot over 10,000 of that load.

W-231 shows 3.9-4.4gr for a 124 gr bullet. That was not a plated bullet that they had listed, though.

If I recall right N-320 show a max of 4.3 with a plated 124 gr bullet.

I have never had any issues with the plating on my 124 gr X-Tremes or any X-Treme bullet for that matter. They are an excellent and quite thickly plated bullet, IMO.

I certainly would start low and work my way up using the ladder method but I would think you could certainly go a little higher.

My records show 3.7 gr of W-231 with a 124 gr. X-treme was 935 FPS and 4.2 gr of231 was 1048.

Good luck!
Thank you
Yes 3.0 VV320 is minimum 4.3 max so my 4.1 should be fine. My Lyman Manual with a LRN 124g shows minimum charge of 3.0 with W231 but this is based on an uncoated bullet.

I will just shoot these up breaking in the pistol when it's finished if they will run the gun and build up a better load...Are the Berry's 124g plated RN as tuff as the Xtremes?

These are of course all range fodder

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
Sorry Chance, I read to quickly and thought you had loaded some 3.6 with W-231. Yes, your 4.1’s will be very nice.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
Sorry Chance, I read to quickly and thought you had loaded some 3.6 with W-231. Yes, your 4.1’s will be very nice.
no, you had it right my friend!

3.6 w231 under 124g Xtreme RN, AND same bullet over 4.1g VV320 in a test batch I just built up what I am thinking was a light break in load and then a good midrange load for practice.

I have quite a few hundred 124g XTPs and Sierra SportsMasters to load later on over 320 I am thinking

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
486 Posts
3.6 w231 under 124g Xtreme RN, AND same bullet over 4.1g VV320 in a test batch I just built up what I am thinking was a light break in load and then a good midrange load for practice.

I hope 3.6g of W231 under this Xtreme 124g RN bullet will run a Stryker fired pistol...if not I will be pulling them and starting over...LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts