1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first 1000 rounds of 200 gr SWC lead I loaded for my Para 12.45 LDA worked just great...then a feeding issue started to happen. Gun jams once or twice on most magazines with a round stuck part way into chamber. I pull the slide back slighty, the round pops up, and then it goes into battery just fine. Issue happens most often when round is feeding off the right side of the magazine stack. Don't matter if it's a 9 round or 12 round mag. At first I thought the extractor was grabbing the case rim but now I'm not sure. It just acts like the 200 gr SWC doesn't like to "make the turn" and get itself straightened up to enter the chamber.

Anybody have a fix? I've got another 1000 rounds to shoot up before I buy some other bullets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the same problem with a P-14.45 Limited. Turns out I was seating the bullets too deep. Try adding a couple thousandths to the overall length and see what happens.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would suggest OAL to be 2.20/.213. I had the same problem with my Para P-10 with a double stack and was about to pitch it in the trash ben. I also found out that the little gun wasn't fond of bench rest shooting. Something in the wrist I suppose while bench rest shooting it. One other suggestion. After reloading, trial fit each bullet in the chamber by hand with the slide racked back. Each round should fall freely in the chamber and out freely. Ren

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I would suggest OAL to be 2.10/.213.
NOt sure what OAL you intended here, but most .45 ACP classic reloads are around 1.24"-1.26" OAL....

Many 200 grain SWC designs have different shoulder to nose lengths, but a good rule of thumb is at least a thumbnail's width (.003") of exposed shoulder above the case mouth.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yup, about a thumbnail distance beyond the case. That is the case with the 220 gr's I am loading. Could just be the diff in the castings but I've found these bullets shoot well (& feed) even in a "picky" 45 that I have. Ren

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Make sure you're getting enough crimp on the case mouth as well. Mine usually end up in the .469 range.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I might suggest that if you shot 1,000 rounds with no issues, and you haven't changed the 'specs' on the ammo, you might have a gun or mag issue...if "trouble" happens all of a sudden.

Is the extractor channel cleaned, gun in general, etc. How many rounds on the recoil spring, mag springs okay...mags clean. Do the easy "stuff" first.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Many 200 grain SWC designs have different shoulder to nose lengths, but a good rule of thumb is at least a thumbnail's width (.003") of exposed shoulder above the case mouth.

plus, having enough "taper crimp"! Dont be afraid of adding more than the .469, the 45 acp is a low pressure round. I would do around the .465-.466 range. But not under .464.

Always check your round with the barrel out of the gun, drop the round in the chamber, turn the barrel down and let the round fall out. If it drops in and falls out, like water from a glass, then you probably have enough taper. You can almost see the taper outline when place against a light.
From reading many post here on the forum, the having enough taper crimp, is the problem with alot of gun jamming.:)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Get the Lee Factory Crimp Die. That will smooth out the lower half of the case - it cures the "fat cartridge" syndrome.

My load:

200g LSWC
5.3g W231
WinLP primer
OAL: 1.250"
crimp: .469"
asst. brass

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't have a Para, but I shoot a lot of 200gr LSWC. All are of the Hensly & Gibbs #68 design, which was created PRECISELY to feed well in a 1911 pistol. And indeed they do, for me.

That said, I realize my positive experience doesn't help YOU much! But my experience (and that of countless others) PLUS your experience of 1000 trouble-free rounds leads me to speculate that the problem is not the handloads. Unless something changed (e.g. overall length, gross change in powder charge, etc.), I concurr with other posters that maybe the problem is with recoil springs, cleanliness in un-obvious places, or magazine problems (sometimes you gotta clean them, too).

I'm just reinforcing the notion that there's nothing INHERENTLY wrong with your load (which you've already testified to).

Good luck, and keep us posted with good OR bad results, and feel free to pose other questions as they arise. This forum has the best "free" advice you could find :)

Albert

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!!

My load I'm having "issues" with is:
200 gr LSWC
5.6 gr W231
OAL 1.240
Taper Crimp .469
Yes...I have a thumbnail thickness (~.03") of shoulder exposed from the case mouth.
My loaded rounds fall in/out of the chamber with no resistance.

The gun has only fired about 2000 rounds so I'm not thinking spring problems yet (hope that's not a bad assumption). I'm also a gun (and magazine) cleaning freak so I'm not thinking dirt is my root cause.

I'll give you all more background about the gun and events. I should also note that I've been reloading .38/.357 and 9mm for 25 years and I currently use a Hornaday Pro-jector 5 station press. However, this is my first experience with the 45ACP.

When I got this brand new 45 last year I started with some Remington factory ammo. No feeding problems with first 50 rounds...but I did notice the chamber was very rough and left a distinct rough imprint on the spend brass. I polished the chamber and feed ramp with 1200 grit lapping paste. The remaining 200 rounds of Remington ammo feed just fine and the spend brass no longer was rough and showed chamber markings.

I then started handloading the above spec and went through 1000 rounds of "Meister" 200 LSWC with no issue. At that point I wanted to try some of the copper plated bullets so I bought some "Barry's" 200 SWC. Right off the bat these copper plated bullets didn't want to feed so I set them aside till some rainy day I feel like trying them again.

My local gun shop didn't have any more the "Meister" bullets so I procured some "Barry's" 200 LSWC. These are the bullets I'm now having feed issues with and would like to use them up given the current price of lead. I can't measure any dimensional difference between the "Meister" and "Barry's" lead bullets using my calipers. Bullet nose shape looks identical (i.e. same mold) so I'm puzzled why they don't feed.

I'll try some experiments with changing OAL +/- and more crimp to see where that leads.

Thanks again to all for the great feedback!! :)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
You needed to have posted that in reloading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts