1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been punching paper with my 1911 using 150 gr. semi wadcutters. 4.8gr Bullseye

isn't quite enough for perfect gun function, some failure to extract and fully eject. I also

have a lot of Red dot. Can you reccomend a safe load range for the Bullseye and the Red dot.

Don't care about max velocity just would like to know the safe range for these powders.

Thanks. Dale :scratch:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have been punching paper with my 1911 using 150 gr. semi wadcutters. 4.8gr Bullseye

isn't quite enough for perfect gun function, some failure to extract and fully eject. I also

have a lot of Red dot. Can you reccomend a safe load range for the Bullseye and the Red dot.

Don't care about max velocity just would like to know the safe range for these powders.

Thanks. Dale :scratch:
I have Data for the 154gr LSWC for every powder manufacturer BUT Alliant Powder. If you're wanting to switch powders i can help but otherwise I'm of little use lol.

·
Registered
618 Posts
What lb. recoil and mainspring are you running? I think if I was going to run a light bullet and a light powder charge I would go with a 12lb recoil spring and maybe a 19lb. recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I shot Bull-X 155 button nose wadcutters way back when. They sent a data sheet that showed 6.2 Bullseye as a start load (16,800 CUP) and 6.7 (19,300 CUP) as maximum. 6.2 produced 1051 fps and 6.7 1164. The only other Alliant/Hercules powder on the list is Unique.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have Data for the 154gr LSWC for every powder manufacturer BUT Alliant Powder. If you're wanting to switch powders i can help but otherwise I'm of little use lol.
Well, I've got a decent amount of Alliant data for 180-230 gr bullets, but nothing that light. Guess that's two of us that aren't much help.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
I can help a brother out, but my advice is more than just the grains of powder.

When your gun will not function -- exactly as you describe in Post #1 --
that's telling you the powder charge is insufficient. More powder.
But to put more powder safely you need published data.
Get books on hand with safe data and follow it.

First: Where did you get that 4.8 grain charge, do you have a book or manual?
It helps me if you tell me where you got it.

Second: Are your bullets lead, copper plated, or jacketed? Probably lead, but
I'm smart enough to ask rather than assume incorrectly.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has loads for 160 grain lead bullet, that's good enough for you.
Get the Lyman book rather than guessing, or asking online.
Lyman has loads for both Bullseye and Red Dot. Since your bullet is lighter, you can
be confident in going all the way up to max load if you want (but if you seek a soft
plinking load, I doubt you need to go all the way to max).

For 45acp:

The Lyman book shows that you're 20% below starting load. No wonder the gun won't cycle !!!

The Lyman book also shows OAL of 1.255" but I don't know if that would be
safe or even physically possible with your 150 grain bullet, that's why it is best
to get the book and review it yourself. That's how you reload safely.

At 1.255" with LEAD 160 grain Saeco semiwadcutter sized to .451"...
Bullseye start 5.8 grains. Max load 6.4 grains. But that is at 1.255" OAL. Adjust accordingly.
Red Dot start 5.3 grains. Max load 5.9 grains. Also at 1.255" OAL. Adjust accordingly.

This is for lead bullet. You need to confirm what you have.

And I'm certain you'll have to adjust powder charge for your OAL. I don't think you'll get 1.255" with your bullet.

I really encourage you to get books and manuals. That's the safe way to do it.

Otherwise it's hard to assure your own safety, let alone get that gun running.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
OP listen to Nick,grab some manuals.

I think anyone loading lead bullets are doing themselves a disservice if they don't get a copy of Lymans cast bullet handbook. I think it gets overlooked bc of the title but it's full of Lead data that no other manual comes close to having.

and not to hijack the thread in anyway but...

Nick your truly a blessing for this site.you Gerk and a few others really have helped a untold amount of people. Me included many times over I feel honored to learn from some of the best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nick, Thanks for the info. What lyman book did you get that info from? I have an extensive set of loading manuals.

Lyman # 47,48, 49, cast bullet hand book and some earlier books and others from Speer,

Hornady,Hodgon Oregon bullets (laser cast?) I also have various issues of the Alliant books going

back to 1978-2013. I have about 15 lbs of Red Dot that I would like to use till powder gets more available.

Nothing for the 150 grain lead bullet from Dardas bullets.

I was looking for some exact info for Red Dot if possible. Thanks Dale

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John, I was hoping to adjust the powder charge for funtion as I plan to use the load in several 1911

pistols. So far the load has worked O.K. except for my Colt. I will be going up in powder charge

slowly hopefully till the Colt gets reliable while still having low recoil.

I have been having some trouble with recoil. Unfortunately old age is catching up to me.

Thanks guys, Dale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts