1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear some views for current loads. I have been in hibernation from IPSC shooting since 86, I used to load with 452AA 5.2 w/200grn swc. I have a "new" Dillion 550 on its way since my original press seems to have grown legs. Still have powder measure, tool heads, dies, primer tubes and scale from original 550 the Dillon rep. said it will all still interchange with new 550. Any new toys I should consider?

------------------
Keep'em in the engine room for ... short blood trails 2 legs or 4

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use both 5.0gr of Bullseye or 5.7gr of Win231 for a 200gr LSWC. I use these to make "major" for both IPSC or IDPA. I use a Dillon 650.

·
Registered
550 Posts
452AA was just about perfect for the .45. It is a shame it is no longer made. 231 works about as well; it just takes a little more of it. With the 200 H&G swc, I load 5.5-5.6 to get 900 fps. You can make the current, wimpy, reduced major power factor with as little as 5.2 of 231.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep, 452 was great. 473 worked very well, also. So did 540. Every time I settle on a powder for .45ACP it's discontinued. Hope no one is using AA5, my current choice. It's bound to go away in a few years.

Eddie

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bullseye powder will never go away. I still buy it in bulk just in case though...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
For lead bullet loads in the .45 ACP I have settled on Hodgdon's CLAYS. It burns clean, meters well, the the accuracy is great.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Eddie, I have been told that HS-6 is the same as the old Win 540. A few skeet friends of mine were upset when 540 was discontinued. They all loved it for their 28ga target loads. They have now switched to HS-6 and say it is the exact same stuff. Both powders are (were) made by Primex, and as far as I know, HS-6 is still readily available.

·
Registered
582 Posts
MIDWAY USA has a 45 & 9mm reloading books. They are called LOADMAP, They sent me one free for the 45acp. It covers just about every bullet and powder out there. I turned around and ordered the 9mm. They are great $14.99 each. You will have to ask them for it. AS I didn't see it in the last catalog..

·
Registered
184 Posts
You could try Titegroup I've been using it for awhile and it does a very nice job.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
3.8 grains of Clays for a 230gr Westcoast bullets makes major(167 PF), meters very well,clean,accurate,clean,low recoil and Oh! did I mention its Clean?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I used to really like both 452AA and 473AA for handgun. Might even still have a 1/2 # of 473 kicking around somewhere! Anyway, once I found out how well Red Dot (5.2 g with a 200 gr SWC)works with the .45ACP it was and still is my first choice! I use 4.9 Bullseye with 200 gr SWC now for my second choice. NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I currently use 4.5 grains of Vihtavuori N-310, very clean burning and accurate, and it makes major, oh yeah I about forgot, that is with a 200 grain Semi-Wadcutter.

------------------
Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts