1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....I'm a new guy on the forum. I loaded a few hundred rounds for my new Springfield 1911 the other day. Unique 6.5gr, oal 1.23 and 230gr jhp bullets. I went to the range and chronoghaphed them at 975fps. From what I understand this is about 100fps fast and although I did not see any overpressure signs (flattened primers etc.) I am worried that they are dangerously hot. Should I break these down and lighten them a bit or am I ok? I have reloaded thousands of rifle rounds (benchrest) but am new to pistol reloading.

Thanks.....Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The load data I used was from the Alliant website. 230 jhp= oal 1.23 6.4 Unique 880fps I didn't have any factory loads with me but thats a good idea.

When I'm loading for a rifle I watch the primers closely. When they flatten and dimple I back off. Do the same pressure signs apply to pistol reloading?

·
Registered
333 Posts
watch the unsuported area of the case for buldging

if it looks like corbon ammo after you have fired it back off a bit so you can use your brass longer than one reload.

work your way up.

for unique
my sierra data says 5.4 - 6.8
alliant data i have says 4.8 to 6
lee 1st edition datas says 6 grains
lee 2nd edition for 230 ball is also 6 grains

if you can use data for the bullet your loading.

i would back off to 6 grains and see how you like it. averegas around 895 fps from my alliant and lee data

and i forgot it the first time min oal of 1.190

·
Registered
240 Posts
My Hornady book says 6.1 grains for 850fps. I just loaded a batch at 6 grains but have not yet tried them.

Also, in spite of what my reloading manual says, if I seat 230gr fmj at less than 1.250 OAL I have feeding problems. Right now I'm ranging from 1.250-1.262 with no feeding problems. Bullets are 230gr. Ranier plated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Back when I started reloading, I first used 6.0 Unigue. When I shoot, I lay a tarp on the ground on my right side to catch the brass. The amount of unburned powder on the tarp was amazing. After switching to 5.0 Bullseye, the unburned powder has been cut to almost nothing.

I know Unique has been around forever, but there are so many better choices out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts