1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving a late model 4 door sedan, and am looking for a good location for a car safe. There isn't any room under the seats, so it seems that the trunk is the logical place. My question is: Where in the trunk? I have one of those little holes between the backseat and the trunk, so I was thinking of bolting the safe facing towards the backseat, so I can place and retrieve the gun from inside the car. I've also thought of mounting it on the side panel of the trunk. Any advice from someone who's done this before? My main concern is that the safe not be torn out of the car, and that I don't do any damage to the car while installing the safe. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Here's one option that is custom fit to select sedans:

http://www.truckvault.com/products/ps/sedan/trunkvault.asp

If you don't want to go that route, there are numerous key lock safes that will probably work, but may require you to drill a hole or two if you want to secure it to the vehicle (unless there are some suitable holes already available).

You could probably find a sliding/locking cash drawer at an office supply store that would work also. Just bolt it under the package tray in your trunk and line it with foam or carpet for quick and easy access.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Out of curiosity I just took a look under my wife's 4 door and it wouldn't work. There appears to be a steel plate protecting the fuel tank that makes the underside of the trunk unaccessable. They make safes that will fit in floor consoles if you have one. I would not put it somewhere that would require me to exit the car to lock it up. My wife's car appears to be limited to the console between the front seats or centered in front of the back seat on the floor. I'll probably go the console route. Either way I will use steel plate or a heavy steel bracket on the underside to bolt through. Anything that will make it harder to rip it out.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The center console won't work for me, how easy would it be to bolt it to the floor? I'm wondering if a small enough safe right in front of the drivers seat woudn't work.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Paulee said:
The center console won't work for me, how easy would it be to bolt it to the floor? I'm wondering if a small enough safe right in front of the drivers seat woudn't work.

Well, you aren't going to get a "safe", but there are plenty of little lock boxes that would suffice. Find one the right size and either put a cable lock through it and around the seat frame or get a bracket to bolt under one of the seat frame bolts.

I'm not sure why it would be a problem locking it in the trunk. It's not like you'd have to take th gun off outside the car and wave it around in view while you store it. Just take it off in the car, put it in a gun rug or small case and then lock it in the trunk - reverse the procedure when you come back to the car. I would never bolt anything through the floor of the trunk or anywhere that required drilling holes from the inside to the outside. There should be somewhere under the rear package tray in most sedans to bolt something.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Sportsmans Guide . . .

sells a nifty little lock box that comes with a cable for fastening around a seat frame. It's flat enough to fit under most any seat and just big enough to hold a 1911 sized gun. Not exceptionally heavy duty but probably adequate to deter theft unless the thief came prepared with cable cutters or a pry bar. Tom

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I bought one of those Sentry fire safes from Wal-Mart for $25. I got a longer bolt so I could bolt it down through the trunk floor with a trailer hitch bolt and a large diameter fender washer. I only use it to lock up in the parking lot during work, so I didn't need heavy security, just something they couldn't break into my car quickly and grab and run. I figure it would take enough time for them try that they wouldn't have time or tools to get into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts