1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To avoid any possible purchases that i may later regret I'd like to ask what is the most economical choice for an AR-15 long range (2-300+ meters) scope? And what would be the suggested ring set for it Medium, high, or extra high?

I've got 40 rounds through my new gun and so far I couldn't be happier with it. Stag lower with a DTI 20'' Upper. Currently i have a 3-9 on it with low rings i had laying around but i am not at all happy with those, so if anyone could suggest the best height it would help to hear from those with experience. BTW the upper is a standard flattop.

Any other suggestions for a solid long range set up would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As a former Marine, I'd say iron sights out to 500....but nobody wants to be a marksman anymore:bawling:....sad....

no hard feelings :biglaugh:

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Super Sniper 10x with Warne high QD rings on a YHM scope riser. The super sniper is good glass for the money. To get proper eye relief you genrally need to move the scope forward a bit more than the reciever rail will allow thats where the scope riser comes in. It gives just enough extra forward movement of the scope and rasies it enough to allow high rings to work and you can then fit a flip sight behind your scope. Genrally if mounting direcctly to the reciever extra high rings are reccomended. I like the QD rings for ease of cleaning and the ability to use BUIS when I feel like it.

Here is the same setup except with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 on my old ar precission rig.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've got a 4.5-14x scope inside 1" high weaver rings (from flat part of the base to the bottom of scope tube) on a flat-top upper with a Choate stock and a 24" heavy barrel.

It's a perfect setup for me, but my shooting buddy prefers a 4-12x in a B-Square mount with integral rings that puts the bottom of the scope tube about 1.25" above the base on his flat-top upper. It pretty much depends on where your cheek is comfortable.

Either rig is capable of regular hits on ground squirrel sized targets out to 500 yds. ParaCCW's sentiments notwithstanding, you can still shoot quite well with good quality optics. I don't have the eyes I did when I qualified with an M16A1, so I'm not ashamed to use a high end scope now to see small, distant targets clearly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm just messin with him....I like scopes too, just nice to know how to shoot long range without one is all......

·
Registered
115 Posts
optic?

well here in Iraq I was using a leupold on the m14, and the ACOG on the m4. I like the ACOG in the urban area... we just got the ACOG that is calibrated for 7.62 and i threw it on m14 and love it... the only thing bad about ACOG's they are $$$$ but in my opinion they are worth it..

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
well here in Iraq I was using a leupold on the m14, and the ACOG on the m4. I like the ACOG in the urban area... we just got the ACOG that is calibrated for 7.62 and i threw it on m14 and love it... the only thing bad about ACOG's they are $$$$ but in my opinion they are worth it..

+1 and get home safe, ya hear!:rock:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You don't mention your price range, but a good set up for under $500 would be the Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20X50 fine plex and target knobs in a Rock River Arms Hi-Riser mount.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Edit Nevermind too a closer look at ExCatm's rifle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have a RRA 20" EOP on order and just decided on and ordered a Leupy 4-12 MarkII tactical. The Elevated Optic Platform allows me to use low rings. I was really torn between the VX III 6.5 -20 or the 4-12x. I figured that 6.5X would be more difficult to "hold" on closer and/or moving targets (coyotes/chucks), and got the 4-12.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As a former Marine, I'd say iron sights out to 500....but nobody wants to be a marksman anymore:bawling:....sad....

no hard feelings :biglaugh:
that would be no one wants to be a rifleman. that is proficient with there weapon. didn't have a scope on my m-16 in 1972, watched bad guys fall down at 300 yrds with regularity. don't need no stinking scope at the time, but now i'd put a 5.5x22 nightforce on it and get hits out to 600 yrds. just my nickel 0.05

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have a Burris FFII. It's a good scope, especially for the $$$.
Leupold has a new "tactical 2" model. It's supposed to be a tactical w/o the $$$$ price tag.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Your money, but 200 to 300 meters isn't long distance. I'd reccommended faster twist and heavier bullets above 300 meters.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd love to learn more about long distance using only the iron sights; but, most of the instructors I know just talk about using scopes for distance.It's almost like that knowledge is fading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts