1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't much like the concept of a "car gun" as it pertains to handguns, personally. I'd rather have a sidearm at my side (on my person) than leave a dedicated pistol-caliber weapon within the passenger compartment.

Long guns are another story.
They're unlikely to be needed in a self-defense scenario, admittedly, but they're relatively easy to store in a state of reasonable readiness, and easy to camoflage (for those with SUVs and station wagon-type vehicles, where the weapon can't actually be closed in a trunk).

Given the possibility of terrorist activity within our borders, I wonder how many keep a long gun in the car trunk/back?

I'm NOT talking about a gun rack in the pickup truck that sometimes holds a rifle during hunting season, or LEOs who keep a long gun in a patrol vehicle or "unmarked" car, but about a rifle or shotgun which is a sort of dedicated "car long gun", in your private non-LEO daily "driver" vehicle.

Mine holds a folding stocked Mossberg 12 gauge with the tube filled with 00 Buck, and a "sidesaddle" of slugs, chamber empty, treated with Corrosion X for rust resistance.

Anybody else do such a thing?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I keep a SKS with 100 rnds on strippers. It's the cheapest rifle I own so if something happens to it I won't cry too much. Also it's dead reliable and hits where it looks.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
In the People's Republic of NY it'd be illegal to have a long gun loaded in a vehicle. And the only time I ever left a gun in my trunk overnight I found it covered with a nice layer of surface rust the next day--the only time in my whole life I ever had a gun of mine get rust on it...:(

·
Registered
427 Posts
I keep a sawed off (to legal 18.5" length - I may be in Idaho but unlike Randy Weaver I can measure inches) Savage 12 gauge and a non-PC assault weapon of unnamed and unspecified details and a few cases of ammo in the trunk.

I figure I'd rather be paranoid than wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
guns

Hi all,

I have on occasion carried my ak(75rd. drum), 12 gauge, or 94 30-30 with me.
an old enfield in 303 comes along once in awhile too :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
My AR-15 travels with me on any significant trip, while I always have my Wilson .45 with me on ANY trip. I like the corrosion resistence of the AR, it fits well behind the seat of my pick up and as I live in the great Peoples' Republik of NY as well, the AR is very quick to load.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I keep a pre-ban Bushy M4 behind my pickup seat with 4-5 30rd USGI mags in the glovebox when toolin around town or on a road trip. With the collapsible stock its reaal handy getting it out in a hurry, and I dont have to worry too much about corrosion, like Joseph said.

·
Registered
190 Posts
For long trips, yes. As a long term solution, no. The varying conditions in a trunk(heat/cold/moisture/condensation) are hard on a gun's finish-but I guess if you have a "beater", no problem.

I am also concerned about it getting stolen. Granted, if it is a beater then the financial loss is small, but the thought of some dirtbag using my gun in a future act of aggression makes me uneasy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
also, I tote my Bushy because ya never can tell when one of them wiley shootin' ranges is gonna sneak up on ya in a dark alleyway, just beggin fur ya ta' hose some lead downrange

·
Registered
737 Posts
I do not normally leave any guns in my car or truck. On trips I usually take along an AR15 besides a handgun. If I'm going into any "wild" (boonies) places the AR will probably be replaced or supplemented by a Marlin .45-70 "Guide Gun". Watch-Six

·
Registered
90 Posts
While I don't usually keep a long gun in the trunk all the time, too worried about rust and theft, for trips I like a simple .30-30 lever action. While it may not have the ammunition capacity of an AR or similar type weapon, the .30-30 should be more than enough (w/ my handgun) to get the job done. Plus if I do use it, it doesn't have the "evil assault rifle" appearance. This will be important when dealing with law enforcement later as well as when in front of a jury. Finally, if it does get stolen I can more easily afford to replace this than an AR. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yup, a Universal M-1 carbine with a 15 rounder in it and 2 15 rounders in a butt stock pouch stowed behind the front seats of the Grand Cherokee in a case. Comes inside every night.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've been trying to figure out what collapsible carbine will fit under the back seat in my 2001 Cherokee. I looked at those cheapy Kel-Tec carbines, but I'd prefer one in .45 using 1911 mags.

FLA45Fan said:
Yup, a Universal M-1 carbine with a 15 rounder in it and 2 15 rounders in a butt stock pouch stowed behind the front seats of the Grand Cherokee in a case. Comes inside every night.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
When I take car trips, this is what I take:

Long Rifle:

AK-47 with 30's or a Mosin M44 with 40 rounds on strippers

pistol:

Inglis 9mm or a Makarov

The M44 is about $50 so it stays in the truck most of the time

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nope, I have a ak-47 and a german mauser but they stay at home. I do stock about 5000 rounds for the ak though. You never know with this crazy world we live in. Gotta protect family and counrty...

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
For the longest time after 9/11 I put my briefcase, laptop and a black canvas case in the trunk every morning.

In the black case was my pre ban Bushy carbine iwith collapsable stock and 5 USGI 30's.

Karsten

1 - 20 of 22 Posts