1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's start a long range pistol thread!

Here is my contribution.

Every other weekend our snipers try to meet regardless of weather and shoot. Last weekend it was 18 degrees and windy. After shooting our long guns, I pulled out my CQB TAC LE and shot a 1/2 IPSC silhouette (a streel target with a hostage taker swinger) After ringing this steel, the challenge was set to push back to 150! In the first picture, you can see two of our rifles, a backpack, and mat at 100 yards.

After taking steady aim!

I hit 4/7 shots with 2 more on the cardboard. Boo! Hahaha
They really start dropping at that range! I was holding nearly at the top of the target.

I'll practice this and try it again, but in the mean time let's post up photos of long range pistol shooting.

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
4 of 7 from that distance is crazy good. I'm not sure I'd be able to tag the white car that many times from 150.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My best has been an 8" steel plate hanging at 100 meters. Hit it 4 out of 8 rds and yes I have witnesses. My other long range pistol shot was a ground hog at 55 yards one shot one kill confirmed by 2 members at the club who were shooting with me.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Long range pistol is great fun, and for many, a real eye opener. My first exposure was with Elmer Keith back about 1970 and the .44 Magnum. Shooting at a measured 600 yards on a steel plate with regular hits. He also taught me to raise the front sight rather than hold over the target. If you raise the pistol to shoot over the target, you lose sight of it? I hold about half the front sight above the rear sight at 100 yards with my 1911 and get consistent hits. AT 200 yards, I need to hold all of the front sight above the rear sight and get consistent hits. At 300 yards, I need to take a lunch break from the time the shot breaks until it goes "bonk" on the steel plate. <ggg> but it still gets consistent hits. I can always cheat and shoot with two hands, or go off the bench but that takes the fun out of it. No kidding!
But, I've got some solid shooting credentials to back it up. Great fun and always good for a bet on a bottle of adult beverage. Elmer had a fine gold wire placed on his front sight that he used for reference. He was every bit as good as he said he was! Shot with him many times at his home range in Salmon, Idaho.
Semper Fi
DX Pistol, Scout/Sniper Assoc #198, 2600 club, Prez 100

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
Long range pistol is great fun, and for many, a real eye opener. My first exposure was with Elmer Keith back about 1970 and the .44 Magnum. Shooting at a measured 600 yards on a steel plate with regular hits. He also taught me to raise the front sight rather than hold over the target. If you raise the pistol to shoot over the target, you lose sight of it? I hold about half the front sight above the rear sight at 100 yards with my 1911 and get consistent hits. AT 200 yards, I need to hold all of the front sight above the rear sight and get consistent hits. At 300 yards, I need to take a lunch break from the time the shot breaks until it goes "bonk" on the steel plate. <ggg> but it still gets consistent hits. I can always cheat and shoot with two hands, or go off the bench but that takes the fun out of it. No kidding!
But, I've got some solid shooting credentials to back it up. Great fun and always good for a bet on a bottle of adult beverage. Elmer had a find gold wire placed on his front sight that he used for reference. He was every bit as good as he said he was! Shot with him many times at his home range in Salmon, Idaho.
Semper Fi
DX Pistol, Scout/Sniper Assoc #198, 2600 club, Prez 100
This is great info for those of us looking to shoot 100y...Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
I shot 50 yards 2 times this year first time ever. On the second trip, I was able to get a 50% hit rate on a 1/4 area IPSIC steel plate. Man, it was so much fun. Had no issues with bullet drop at 50y. Side benefit, comming back into 25 yards is almost easy now to shoot real tight groups (2.5" seems to be where I am at at the momement).

Always 2 hand hold standing (save the bench rest stuff for when I am 90+ ;-)).

My goals for 2014:
1) 50 Yards: Achive a consistant 80% hit rate on 1/4 area IPSIC plate.
2) 100 Yards: Achive a 80% hit rate on a Full-Size IPSIC plate

Go from there...

Can't wait till March to shoot outside again (25 yard indoors for now).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Love it! My rural pistol range has lots of close up targets, then some steel game targets about 75 yards out and another set about 100 yards out. Fun to take a whack at the distant targets after close up work. Always a joy to hit them with a handgun, especially a sub compact. Even when I miss the shots are close enough to send a bad guy diving for cover.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had to laugh at the memory when I was waiting for a target change break at a range in SoCal. I got out my 1911 and was shooting at a steel target at 200 yards. Didn't think much about it. I was there to confirm my 200 yard zero for an upcoming High Power match at 29 Palms. (was shooting an M14) So, at the match at the "Stumps", I was moving back to the 300 yd line and another competitor asked how I was doing? I told him I couldn't hit a barn from inside. He laughed and said BS! I watched you shooting 200 yards with a 45 and doing it one handed! He had been at the range where I was checking my zero and wondered how I did it! Thanks to Elmer Keith!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Thanks for sharing flyinrock. It brought back a few memories for me as well. In the early '70's I worked with a guy who had spent a fair amount of time shooting with Elmer during the mid-to-late '50s. He told me Elmer really could shoot like he claimed. My friend had a small acreage where we could shoot, and invited us to join him one time. We were shooting 5.5 oz. juice cans at 100 yards with Ruger .44's. and hitting them 75% of the time. My friend asked if he could shoot one, and where the sights were set to. He hit 6 of 6 with my revolver, I was really surprised. Next he brought out 2 S&W revolvers from the WW I time frame in .455 Webley, and did the same 6 of 6 on those little juice cans at 100 yards. He then commented that the .44 mags were good choice for deer hunting at distance, but weren't necessary for target work. That man could shoot. He left the company we worked at not long after that and relocated to another part of the state, and I lost track of him. I still think of him often.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info Flyingrock, and thanks for your service!

I will try the technique of raising the front sight, I'm sure it will help to be able to see the target :)!

This is the first time I have tried a 150 shot. I've regularly shot at 50 (occasionally at 100) to show officers if they master the fundamentals 25 yard accuracy is no sweat (their max qualification range).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts