1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last ten years I have bought my 1911's from a small outfit and simply ordered them sight unseen. Most of what I have purchased has been Colts. Well today my wife and I drove downtown to a large gun store to have a look. Let me just say I like Colt and my next 1911 will be a Colt, but if I was twenty years younger and buying my first gun Colt would just be one choice amongst many in this now very crowded design. This store had Colts, Wilson’s, Baers, Browns, Springfield’s, the SW1911 and a Kimber. There is a lot to pick from in the $450 - $999 price range and to the first time buyer the Springer’s look like, (are) one heck of a value. I wish Colt the best but they need to construct some market significance.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Bluetooth, I agree on the need to get the market's attention, but I am not totally unhappy with how Colt's resurgence is going. The have gone from a company that had been stripped down and sold off by it's Corporate (Colt Industries) owners, struggled out of bankrupcy and fought off (and is still fighting off) the "30 Cities Anti-Gunmaker Lawsuits". And they are still here, and getting better all the time!

I am amused by the assumption many (not you) make that Colt is some kind of minor player about to close their doors. Over the last couple of years Colt has sold over 25,000 handguns a year - mostly 1911 variants - to the civilian market, and built and sold tens of thousands more AR-15 variants to Police, Civilian and Military purchasers around the world. That is thousands of guns a week being shipped out of Hartford, and if you combine rifle and handgun production they are a much bigger deal than either Kimber or Bushmaster, their major competitors in handgun and rifle, respectively.

Production capacity may have more to do with the limitation on how many Colts end up in dealers showcases than "lack of interest" by the public. I think the public remembers and respects Colt still, and Colt is once again deserving of public trust after a long, hard, bad road back from the brink.

The good news for those of us who want Colts is:

1.) Colt quality continues to improve and already eclipses their rivals in important areas like metallurgy and correct tolerances. Many of us think that Colt is currently building the best 1911s ever built, occasional minor cosmetic glitches not withstanding. (Not withstanding because Colt will absolutely Make It Right if you are not satisfied. Good customer service is back at Colt, too.)

2.) Since the public believes ads a bit too much and is somewhat of a herd, Colt does have some marketing work to do whenever they actually want and can service a larger piece of the pie. In the mean time, Colts are available to anyone willing to order one from RSR, Lew Horton, or other distributors.

When Colt gets to 100% - probably around the end of next year - and the World finds out - we'll be forced to wait and we'll be paying more! I see an optimistic future for Colt - starting right now.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True Today Than Ever! cc

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I love Colts and always will. I've bought my share and will continue to do so. There is just something about them that is special since it's Colt. Problem is, not everybody sees that or gets it. Nowadays, many people just look at supposed "value".

I was in the shop the other day and a couple old guys were looking at 1911s and comparing the Colt WWII repro to the Sprinfield WWII gun. They were saying "look at how much more the Colt is" and putting it down, commenting that the Springfield is the way to go. They didn't quite understand how the Colt is a different animal than the Springfield with a whole level of difference and historical difference as well as quality. They were simply looking at the features and "value". Colt has history and tradition on it's side, but not everyone these days is going to understand or get it. That's what Colt has to compete with.

·
Registered
27,704 Posts
Not everyone cares about historical significance. A lot of people aren't buying history. Some folks just want a pistol that works and has the most features for the buck. That is called capitalism.

Brand loyalty is when you but a particular make even though you don't get the best bang for the buck. Like when Colt's QC was in the toilet and folks still bought them when the Kimber was clearly a better pistol.

It is nice to see Colt turn that around

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not everyone cares about historical significance. A lot of people aren't buying history. Some folks just want a pistol that works and has the most features for the buck.
The catch here is that the "features" on many clones are crappy parts backed up by crappy service when they break. People add up the price of a baseline Colt, a Brown grip safety, Wilson extractor, etc., and think that the Springer/Kimber is a great deal, but clearly they're comparing apples to oranges.

(For the record, my Kimber is great, but it's from back when they knew what they were doing.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts