1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Wilson Combat with a six inch barrel? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 1911 with a six inch barrel?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just saw one the other day at a gun store, a Classic in 6"... the longer sight pic you get gives you a better advantage when shooting. The longer Barrel does little in making you a better shooter. My next gun is going to a long slide just not sure of the maker yet. The Wilson was a great looking 1911 in 6"

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Sucks if you're planning on carrying it!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
I shoot a longslide in USPSA competition, and like it a lot. The advantages are longer sight radius, which makes it easier to shoot the gun accurately, and the longer barrel gives higher velocities with a given load, meaning you can down-load a bit more and still make major. The inch of barrel is good for about five power factor points. The extra weight dampens recoil, again, making the gun easier to shoot, but it also makes transitions slower; I am not very quick on the trigger, so I'll accept that in exchange for faster and more accurate splits. Some people won't like the sluggish feel of the heavier slide, but the slide can be lightened, if you want the cycling to feel more like a 5" gun. Mine is heavily ventilated, and probably weighs the same as a standard 5" slide. It's no carry gun, but easier to tote than a 6" revolver.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Sucks if you're planning on carrying it!
Not necessarily...some folks might have no problems with that extra inch of slide length; blanket statements don't always apply to the 'do's and don'ts' of handgunners...

Now, AZ Husker, if you said it would suck for you to try it as a carry piece, then that's something else again...

FWIW, I think I'd make it a range gun as my Trophy Match Longslide has become -- so for 'yours truly', your statement has some merit... :)

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Despite a known reputation for "spotty" quality control and problems with stainless steel, I bought an AMT Longslide in 1988 and have been really pleased with it. It's been said that nobody's perfect - even perfectly bad and it's accurate and reliable.

Interestingly enough, the frame is government sized and only the slide and barrel are longer (7"). The plug holding the recoil spring is longer so it uses a standard government model recoil spring.

It's fun to shoot and handles the hot Double Tap ammo (230 gr @ 1015 fps - muzzle energy some 515 ft/lbs) with ease. I carry it while camping in a generic plastic belt slide (G20 actually) - it's durable and I carry the Double Tap hardball ammo in it.

I confess to "dressing it up" some -

YMMV

:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not a 1911, but it shoots great, 40sw and optional 9mm top end.

RickB said:
I shoot a longslide in USPSA competition, and like it a lot. The advantages are longer sight radius, which makes it easier to shoot the gun accurately, and the longer barrel gives higher velocities with a given load, meaning you can down-load a bit more and still make major. The inch of barrel is good for about five power factor points. The extra weight dampens recoil, again, making the gun easier to shoot, but it also makes transitions slower; I am not very quick on the trigger, so I'll accept that in exchange for faster and more accurate splits. Some people won't like the sluggish feel of the heavier slide, but the slide can be lightened, if you want the cycling to feel more like a 5" gun. Mine is heavily ventilated, and probably weighs the same as a standard 5" slide. It's no carry gun, but easier to tote than a 6" revolver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OJK said:
Despite a known reputation for "spotty" quality control and problems with stainless steel, I bought an AMT Longslide in 1988 and have been really pleased with it. It's been said that nobody's perfect - even perfectly bad and it's accurate and reliable.

Interestingly enough, the frame is government sized and only the slide and barrel are longer (7"). The plug holding the recoil spring is longer so it uses a standard government model recoil spring.

It's fun to shoot and handles the hot Double Tap ammo (230 gr @ 1015 fps - muzzle energy some 515 ft/lbs) with ease. I carry it while camping in a generic plastic belt slide (G20 actually) - it's durable and I carry the Double Tap hardball ammo in it.

I confess to "dressing it up" some -

YMMV

:D
I always wanted an AMT after I saw Terminator, but that whole "galling" problems really sounds unpleasant. I would probably be interested in a Wilson Long slide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts