1911Forum banner

Long Term Collapse

8K views 73 replies 35 participants last post by  Corkymoore 
#1 · (Edited)
Article here about the TX power crisis.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail, and an awful lot of people remain clueless through no fault of anyone else but themselves. The ones who survive the outages are given an opportunity to mend their ways and prepare for the next outage or other disaster. But too many won't. Darwin Award types.

It isn't as if TX has never had debilitating weather issues, and this was totally out of the blue. And yet we see long lines for food handouts or at the grocery stores, which of course all utilize just-in-time stocking strategies for economic reasons. The Great TP Crisis of 2020 is lost on these people. That was a very benign dress rehearsal for a real shortage crisis.

Power outage?
-- Battery LED lanterns, lots of extra batteries for all devices.
-- Ways to stay warm with your own body heat. Space blankets cost about a buck and do surprisingly well. Everyone should have a few of these around, along with plenty of blankets, sleeping bags, winter clothing. Dress in layers. There is zero excuse for people freezing to death unless they live alone and have cognitive issues. Even people who can't afford a generator or make a fire (apartment-dwellers for example) have no excuse for freezing. Except their own stupidity.
-- If possible, have an alternate heat source such as a fireplace or a gas stove.
-- Drinking water of course should always be kept available; say a week's worth for every person in the household. (Water heaters are a readily-available supply of 40 gallons or so. Filter that water with coffee filters, at least; and a tabletop ceramic water filter system etc. should be part of preps anyway.)
-- Food. Buy healthy stuff that you can eat without heating up, or have an alternate way of doing so such as a campfire or grill.

The most important factor is the will to make it through. Suffering can be reduced a lot, and death to near zero. Prevention/preparation always beats cure, yet with every natural disaster we see giant herds of people expecting someone else to save them. None of this is difficult; people just have to do it. That's what is so frustrating.

It's about how to prioritize time and money. Instead of eating expensive and unhealthy junk food--save money, buy healthier food you prepare yourself and spend a couple of bucks on space blankets.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, mostly. And doing a little venting as well. It seems like 3/4 of the population think that if they are watching their favorite Netflix show while stuffing their faces with chips, life is good. What could possibly go wrong?

The Greek storyteller Aesop lived from 620 - 564 BC; one of his stories was about the industrious ant and the lazy grasshopper. So you can see this problem is endemic in human nature.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
For longer-term situations than a week or two as in TX, we need a ready supply of water, food, and ways to stay warm. That is the basic cave-man minimum requirement.

A rainwater-catchment system to replenish the water supply; or a well with a hand-operated pump, because gas for the generator might not be available forever.
Six months or more of long-term storable food. Canned food for shorter term; most canned food has a shelf life of around a couple of years, and should be rotated. Some things such as honey are good indefinitely.
Ways to stay warm, as previously noted.
Other necessities such as medicines, first aid supplies etc.
Some method of protecting your stuff from two-legged predators.

During a prolonged disaster, there will be a massive die-off of those who didn't prepare. You and your family need to survive that period. Call it a month or two. It will be lawless due to desperation.

#12 · (Edited)
A note to my northern and midwestern neighbors...

Summers in Texas can go 100 to 125 for months on end.
Our home designed to keep us cool.
Big windows, reflective roofs, heavy duty air conditioners.

It has NEVER snowed in Galveston in recorded history.

There are no snow plows, snow shovels, snow clothing,
salt trucks, snow tires or chains, basements,
antifreeze rated below15, or any experience driving on ice.

A lot of people are in danger today.
It's scary for some, deadly for some.

How about cool it with the one-upping and just be supportive.

#13 ·
A not to my northern and midwestern neighbors...

Summers in Texas can go 100 to 125 for months on end.
Our home designed to keep us cool.
Big windows, reflective roofs, heavy duty air conditioners.

It has NEVER snowed in Galveston in recorded history.

There are no snow plows, snow shovels, snow clothing,
salt trucks, snow tires or chains, basements,
antifreeze rated below15, or any experience driving on ice.

A lot of people are in danger today.
It's scary for some, deadly for some.

How about cool it with the one-upping and just be supportive.
good to hear from @cavelamb !

it's true, just moved from chicago and couldn't believe the lack of salting and trucks. and the driving knowledge is really bad....people don't know the packed snow at intersections is pure ice. All common knowledge in states where this happens every year. Not down here.

#14 · (Edited)
Well, as a rural Tx resident who went w/o power and just got water back after a week- I take exception to some of the stuff written but do agree with some. I'm no prepper at all, but as a hunter and fisherman own most of the gear needed to make it a week or so on my own.

The biggest issue we saw, beyond the collapse of electric and water systems was that SO MANY here have generators, heaters and back up systems and 4wd vehicles, the gas stations ran out of gas for generators on day 2&3. Without any salt or sand trucks locally, the fuel trucks couldn't make it in to re-supply. We prepare for what we think may happen in our lifetime. Do you store more than 25 gallons of fuel year round?

This week has been uncomfortable, and highlights the failures of the electric and water infrastructure... and each of us have things that need to be addressed. But to suggest that the people of Tx who had issues in a 500 year event are generally unprepared is about as friendly as it would be for us to mock people after an f4 for a lack of tornado shelters and soft building codes.

We had sustained snow and ice in several places not seen in recorded history. Should the people of Hawaii also have snow shovels just in case? :rolleyes:

When the roles are reversed, I'll do my best to just pray that your hardships are short lived.

#16 ·
What's happening in Texas will be a short term event. It's awful that the Americans there have and are suffering through this. I think the OP's intent was to bring into perspective that conditions in our country, with our infrastructure in particular, are primed for other events, possibly longer term. The point was that we can prepare now as best we can and this is something we can all take as a warning while we pray for the people who are suffering and help them in any way we can.

#17 ·
Many of the Elite Texan's are Investment Gamblers. The Laws of Natural Physics do not gamble or bluff.
The Laws of Natural Physics in respect to electrical power grids is believed to be 20% Renewable Energy.
Texas gambled with their 25% Renewable Energy and lost the bet.
Fusion generated power for the grid is the long term answer and our elected idiots should understand it.
Making Laws that do not work with the Laws of Natural Physics is STUPID!

#32 ·
Many of the Elite Texan's are Investment Gamblers. The Laws of Natural Physics do not gamble or bluff.
The Laws of Natural Physics in respect to electrical power grids is believed to be 20% Renewable Energy.
Texas gambled with their 25% Renewable Energy and lost the bet.
Fusion generated power for the grid is the long term answer and our elected idiots should understand it.
Making Laws that do not work with the Laws of Natural Physics is STUPID!
I work for an electric utility in Kentucky. We purchase our power from TVA, a federal entity that has lots of hydro dams, 3 nuclear plants, a growing number of gas turbines, and fewer and fewer coal plants. In the past few years, they've been given a federal mandate to go "greener". TVA pointed out that with their hydro and nuclear, they were actually very green. The federal government said, "You don't get to count those. Only new wind and solar." A perfect example of politics and the current "renewable" agenda being more important that the actual end result they seek. Drives me crazy!

#22 ·
Growing up in 1970's / 80's Puerto Rico I had plenty of exposure to extended outages for power and water. Mainly from hurricanes, but also from power company union "negotiating tactics." Also lack of oil to run the boilers, happened a lot in '79.

So, since then, I keep a collection of oil / kero lamps / lanterns, gallons of oil (real oil, not para) entirely too much beeswax candle for my own good, and a fair bit of dried goods, rice, beans, etc etc. Propane stove 2x, plenty of propane on hand too.

And if that runs out and there's no groceries, well, we got gator, cayote and rabbit around these parts, yes, even in the urban parts. Cayote sightings dominate the pearl-clutching contingent in Nexdoor and Neighbors.

Plenty of squirrel around here too. I have plenty of .22 to eat with. For the bigger things like cayote either of my .30s will do.

I'm sure the blue-leaning Browardites have zero clue that food really comes from growing it, killing it, or catching it. They'd probably faint at the idea of taking squirrel with a .22 to have for dinner.

We don't get "cold" here, but I lived in North Dakota, Grand Forks AFB for the 1997 blizzards and the flood/fire that followed. No power in NoDak April for 2 weeks. Gas furnace....with electric blower. x.x We survived.

I'm considering a kero heater. Just to have. A nice US-made vintage Coleman or something. No chinesium.

#23 ·
Just to clarify, I was not ragging on Texans specifically, nor one-upping anyone. If anyone took it that way, that is their own issue. I was describing the general human condition; hence the Aesop reference. I am pretty sure you will get the same proportion of prepared to non-prepared people pretty much anywhere, Alaska excepted. What is a catastrophe in Missouri would be just another day in Paradise up north, so being prepared is baked into the culture there.

We did not get any power outages this time, thankfully, but I have had them here in the past for like a week in below-freezing temps. Got through it just fine both times, though not pleasant of course.

What drives me up the wall is easily-preventable tragedies.

Reactions: 2LEngineer
#31 ·
Understood, Tom.

But how much of your resources do you dedicate to events that have miniscule chances of happening?

That was the umbrage that I took from what you said.

How well prepared do you think Alaska would be to a week or two of 110 degree heat?
That's OUR culture here in Texas.
Air conditioning and iced tea.

Part of the problem we had last week is due to the installation of wind generators.
Up nawth they are heated to prevent icing,
Ours have oil coolers to prevent overheating.
A lot of the natural gas generators, likewise, were not prepared for arctic conditions.

Heads will roll over this mess, of course, because hind-sight is so crystal clear.
And a lot of people are pissed off about it.

But it was NOT an easily preventable tragedy by any means.

#24 ·
Good timing on this thread. Just had an ice storm here in the Blue ridge mountains. The grid is down. Currently running on PTO generator hooked up to the Kubota. I can run the whole house for a little more than a gallon of Diesel per hour. Here I am up on the net while my artesian well continues to pump out +/- 700 more gallons per day that I actually use.
I have to get down to the sawmill later on though. They just called me to let me know that They have another big pile of shorts that they want to move for cheap. Just the ticket for the Vermont castings stove in the house or the Jotul in the shop. Probably check on the neighbors on the way out.
The steam shower should be getting good and hot about now. We will check back later.

#26 ·
Good timing on this thread. Just had an ice storm here in the Blue ridge mountains. The grid is down. Currently running on PTO generator hooked up to the Kubota. I can run the whole house for a little more than a gallon of Diesel per hour. Here I am up on the net while my artesian well continues to pump out +/- 700 more gallons per day that I actually use.
I have to get down to the sawmill later on though. They just called me to let me know that They have another big pile of shorts that they want to move for cheap. Just the ticket for the Vermont castings stove in the house or the Jotul in the shop. Probably check on the neighbors on the way out.
The steam shower should be getting good and hot about now. We will check back later. View attachment 605096 View attachment 605097 View attachment 605098
Hang in there buddy. I hope you get electricity back soon. Nice example of being prepared.

#25 ·
What most folks don't seem to realize is that some of the folks on this forum (like any other) are so smart they don't need any advise from anyone. They know EVERYTHING. And the folks that do appriciate the advice are deemed to stupid to bother about......Brings to mind the old saying about being the first to throw stones...........JMHO.
TR

Reactions: 2LEngineer
#30 ·
If not frozen, you can unscrew a sprinkler head then drink from the pipes with a straw. Your toilet tanks have a few gallons too. Water heater, even more.

No offense to my Texas friends, but here's my experience with the DFW area of Texas. My house in Plano suffered from roof-and-skylight-shattering hail, hurricanes (including a back yard & garage flood) , frozen / broken pipes, a cracked slab from months of sun-baked soil, plus a tornado sucked the trees from the yard & tossed them onto the house.

That ONE house accounted for over 80% of my total maintenance budget for SIX rental homes!!!

Screw it. We sold that sucker last year. Meanwhile, my one in Austin has been just fine. At least up until this latest mess. No idea, I can't reach my prop mgr.

#33 ·
If not frozen, you can unscrew a sprinkler head then drink from the pipes with a straw. Your toilet tanks have a few gallons too. Water heater, even more.

No offense to my Texas friends, but here's my experience with the DFW area of Texas. My house in Plano suffered from roof-and-skylight-shattering hail, hurricanes (including a back yard & garage flood) , frozen / broken pipes, a cracked slab from months of sun-baked soil, plus a tornado sucked the trees from the yard & tossed them onto the house.

That ONE house accounted for over 80% of my total maintenance budget for SIX rental homes!!!

Screw it. We sold that sucker last year. Meanwhile, my one in Austin has been just fine. At least up until this latest mess. No idea, I can't reach my prop mgr.
When you get ahold of the Austin guy, you're probably not going to like the news.

I have a sister near there and there's lots of "Issues". Fortunately, like me, she prepares for the worst, and has lived there long enough to know the local issues, while having lived in Kansas long enough to know to always prepare for cold weather. So far, she's better off then most, but has two families of displaced friends bunking with her.

#37 ·
I should add that the most valuable long-term prep is mental toughening.

Just to see what would happen, last winter for weeks I slept in my drafty garage in below-freezing temps, with a piece of carpet and a thin foam pad on the ice-cold concrete floor, a cheap three-season sleeping bag with a space blanket, and fully dressed except shoes. Slept like a baby. It became the new normal. Felt like a wimp the first night I went back to sleeping inside. :)

We have been training martial arts outside this winter, as long as it's above 20F or so. Exercise keeps us toasty warm, and we often have to take off a layer to keep from sweating.

#39 ·
When it comes to being prepared, I've lived through Typhoons, Earthquakes, Torrential Flooding Rain, Floods, Ice Storms, Blizzards, Tornados, and.... being an Eagle Boy Scout, I firmly believe in "Be Prepared". That 99.9%/.10% split is kinda funny. Just look around folks. It's a lot more than a .10% failure rate when things go wrong. Some go a little wrong, and some just plain go WRONG.

So in addition to keeping the 6 B's fully Stocked with a year in reserve, (Beans, Bullets, Booze, Bullion, Benjamins and Buttwipe) there are a number of other things I've accumulated over the years.

First off, liking to hike, camp, hunt and fish, I have a lot of gear, including proper weather gear, camping gear, camp stoves, lanterns with multiple fuel sources.
Fishing and hunting gear out the wazoo with plenty of repair parts, line etc. You'd be surprised how tasty catfish is when you've used bluegills for bait, and we get bluegills around here big enough to filet and eat on their own.

Camping gear can easily be used in house to keep warm. Pitch a small tent and put zipped together sleeping bags in it for a warm sleeping place inside a house without power. Portable Outhouse and Luggable Loo takes care of an outdoor bathroom if needed and the luggable loo works pretty good with a lack of power because you can use a 13 gallon kitchen bag as a liner and twist it shut a turn after each use. Basements passively stay warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Just keep a hand operated pump available to keep the sump pump emptied if needed. I have one that's used to pump water for the Solar Shower, which can be used in the Portable Outhouse (pop up tent you can stand in) If our house was rendered ineffective, then the conex storage containers will be opened up for the camping gear, including tents and sleeping bags.

I have a propane powered shop heater and two 100lb bottles that are kept filled. A Propane Grill and a number of bottles for it. A Camp Stove with multiple small bottles for it and an adapter that I can use to hook it to regular bottles or fill the small ones. Stabilized White Gas, Gas, and oil for oil mix and chainsaw bars. Extra Chains for the chainsaw as well as chain and parts to make more chains for the chainsaw. I also have hand tree saws, an axe, hatchets, bolo's, machete's a splitting maul, sledge and wedge. I've kept ahold of hand tools that don't require juice even as I've accumulated tools that do.

I have a Generator with a proper generator switch on the house and enough fuel kept on hand to run it for two weeks without tapping into the vehicles or other sources. This is a "Short Term" fix only, so depending upon your version of Long Term Breakdown, a lot of the other stuff comes into play.

For water, I can run my irrigation well off my generator, but I can also hand pump water from the well. Our little town has a backup well that can be operated off a PTO, so as long as there's fuel, then there's potable water locally. I have Life Straws, but also know how to rig a still, as well as knowing how to create one from readily available materials. As mentioned rainwater can be collected as well. Everyone should know how to turn off the valve into the house to avoid large water leaks. In Texas at my sisters, their water heater is in the attic crawlspace. That would make for easy draining, but in frigid weather without heat, turning off the water and draining down the water heater was a great idea so that was their water source to fill lots of containers when they lost power. They got power back and had avoided frozen water lines by having drained them down. They don't bury lines as deep there, hence their problems with mains freezing, bursting and then leaking/gushing water everywhere. At least their house was spared some of the damage seen by overhead water pipes bursting and flooding the house.

I know how to "Can", but there's a ton of Mennonites here locally that are better gardeners and canners than I am, so I've felt a few out about providing "Security" in exchange for groceries.
We, and they know how to eat simple. They also have tailoring skills, so clothing replenishment can be done long term as well.

Around here, most houses have basements and plumbing and sewer lines are buried beneath the frost line. My house was built by a Mennonite, so all plumbing is centrally located and can be kept freeze free very easily. It can also be kept cool with triple pane windows opened up, they're screened and I keep screen repair tools and screen on hand for repairs. So our home would be livable without power.

I know locals with horses, cows, pigs, goats, llamas, chickens, turkey's and sheep so meat, leather and wool are available long term. We also have cotton farmers and gins.

That doesn't count the ability to hunt and fish. One guy I know used to raise rabbits off the leavings from a hydroponic farm. They water for the hydroponics was fed from his commercial catfish waters while the heat from the rabbits kept the place warm. It was an interesting mix and while it's no longer in operation, he did it commercially for decades and it could easily be replicated, thus turning out fruits and veggies year round along with rabbit meat, fur and catfish. Also, don't forget birds. Sparrows, Starlings and Grackles are abundant. When I was a kid, the Negrito kids would use a blow gun to shoot sparrows and other small birds out of the trees, grill them over a bamboo fire and eat them. If you're hungry, you'd be surprised at what you'll eat. "Squab" ain't nothin but Pigeons and Rats are just a skinny tailed cousin to squirrels, so.......

All in all, the "Lone Survivor" idea has little appeal, and Jeremiah Johnson was a lot younger than me when he started out, but there's a lot that can be used, reused, and then repurposed as was done "in the old days".

There's a lot of "Common Sense" that isn't common sense anymore, so there's going to be a steep learning curve for people who are in the mooch class of society and who sit back all the time waiting for others to provide for the mooches at the expense of the saviors.

Even in large cities, rooftop gardens and Storage Container farming has sprung up because some city dwellers look around and realize that they're not very self sufficient and that if the trucks and/or boats stop, they're screwed. Can you imagine the problems that are going to occur when people in large cities don't get water and can't flush toilets or sewers? Another huge issue is going to be trash disposal. The rats and cock roaches abound in NYC. Can you imagine the disease/pest outbreak with no water, sewer or trash disposal? Shoot, even the nomadic plains indians knew to move the camp every now and then to leave the pests and trash behind. They were also smart enough to live upstream from their horse herd(introduced by the spaniards) or from the bison moving through.

#40 ·
Oh, and in regards to Power Outages, I submit the following from a Local Guy I know.

It's interesting reading and an experienced opinion.........

“”””””My thoughts on what is actually causing our current energy crisis.......
21 years ago when I started my current career which in the most basic terms is selling monitoring equipment to these energy companies things were a little different.
Power plants in our area had a combination of production means.
Some plants were coal fired but nothing real close to us here.
The plants in our area had boilers that could run off of natural gas or #6 fuel oil.
These boilers drove steam turbines to produce electricity.
These same plants would have a few natural gas fired turbines basically a jet engine directly coupled to a generator.
A few of these had the ability to fire on #6 fuel oil as well.
The reason for the #6 fuel oil was in the winter when the demand on the natural gas system was highest the plants could switch over to #6 and lessen the load on the natural gas system that was being taxed heating peoples homes.
Around 10-15 years ago the Federal government made mandates for these plants to get rid of their #6 options.
#6 was not considered environmentally friendly and the winters were getting milder so it seemed less of a necessity.
Then we started experiencing the wind energy boom, with wind turbines showing up all over Kansas. (Currently about 1/3 of Kansas Electrical Power Production)
Although a great solution on the surface underneath a completely different story.
Still required petroleum products to build and maintain but could essentially run off of wind which is FREE right?
The entry costs were so high in this market government subsidies were required to spur energy companies to start installing these.
Over time the production rates of a single wind turbine have became quite impressive even for someone like myself that has a basic understanding of the concept. ( I went to the state science fair my freshman year of high school with wind produced electricity as my project and that was a day or two ago...)
As wind became more viable and technology progressed to the point where these wind "fields" could start producing as much if not more than some of the less efficient gas fired steam plants decisions were made to remove these plants.
Most of these plants had made it well past their intended life spans and were just not considered as efficient and the gas fired turbines.
Many of you that drive down to K-96 may have noticed all the work at the Gordan Evans Evergy facility straight south of K-96 off of 151st going on last year.
They were removing the gas fired steam turbine parts of the plant. A
ll that remains are the gas fired turbines.
Here we are kicking along enjoying our mild winters and all is fine.
Kansas begins several initiatives to try out solar and there are a few impressive solar fields now in Kansas.
A small one on the outskirts of Hutchinson and a big one east of Pratt that I know of.
Fast forward to last Friday, the temps drop to unseen levels for years in Kansas as well as everywhere else through the central corridor of the United States.
The natural gas system suppling our home heat is taxed to the max.
Wind turbines freeze up, solar panels are covered in snow pushing us to utilize conventional power productions methods which now have been reduced to mainly gas fired turbines with no ability to switch over to #6 fuel oil to lessen the load on the gas system.
Everybody keeps saying the grid is taxed........BS... we put way more load on that grid every summer when we all have our air conditioners running.
Some houses rely on electricity for heat but the majority of us use natural gas.

So here's the problem, now our only source of electricity is being produced from natural gas coming from lines that are already taxed due to our home furnaces.
So the gas companies are telling these power plants they can only take so much gas.
Well that means they can only produce so much electricity and that is why they are selectively shutting areas down.
We are currently experiencing an unprecedented cold snap that nobody could have predicted but I believe our current energy crisis was created by jumping both feet first on the "green" train and abandoning methods that were tried and true.
I believe we do need to continue to look for alternative more environmental friendly sources of energy but we shouldn't tear out what we know works until these new methods are fail safe and weather proof.

Just my opinion based on a little knowledge.”””~~~DT

This tracks with what I've observed, and what little I actually know about Power Generating, but also tracks with the opinion of a Nuclear Generation Engineer I've known for decades.

So it'll be interesting to see if anyone will learn valuable lessons from this.

Me?

I'll continue to keep in place all of the measures I have that will help me weather disruptions in power or in natural gas. This latest stint has resulted in some Kansans being told they'll have Gas Bills for their homes that are up to 400 times higher than usual.

If needed, due to the Preparedness Measures I have in place, have weathered this latest cold snap while completely disconnected from the power grid and gas pipeline.

Oh, and for all those Control Left Dumb Masses that are Anti-Pipeline, I submit that the pic tells it pretty accurately for electric, water, sewer and gas.

#44 ·
I don't think the OP realizes that fireplaces actually suck heat out of the room. Being a little too high on the 'haha I prepped and you didn't haha mountain.' is never a good thing. I have a fireplace, but can't hook up a generator, so apparently I have no excuse for freezing in my "apartment". But then living in the upper midwest, winter is sometimes a 7 month season for us. So somehow I've learned to adapt over all these years.

#48 ·
Well of course heat goes up the chimney--and also radiates out into the room the fireplace is in. Same with wood stoves. We are not talking 100% efficiency here. But fireplaces have been used for hundreds of years at least--because they work. They keep people warm and provide a way to cook. The net gain is much more heat in the room than before the fire was lit, no matter how much heat is wasted up the chimney.

If fireplaces "sucked heat out of the room", people would have stopped using them about 15 minutes after they were invented. What bizarre nonsense. If fireplaces sucked heat out of the room, they would be called air conditioners.....

Yes. If you have a functioning fireplace, you have no excuse for freezing. Whose fault is it if you didn't lay in a supply of wood? If you didn't maintain your fireplace so that it is functional, whose fault is that? Don't come up with excuses, get it done.

To address your second sentence: I am not one-upping anyone in this thread--as I have already said. (It amazes me that I have to point this out. Twice no less.) You are taking offense where none is given.

#45 ·
Believe me when I tell you that hearing how to do things from Yankees is nothing new to a lot of Texans. It most often occurs as OUR milk and honey drips from THEIR chin.

If I had a saw buck for every time I got lined out by hearing about "how we did it up North" I could have simply taken a Cancun vacation.

My granny told me that this is actually the root of one of her favorite expressions, "Bless his heart".

Well, I know in my heart that most are genuinely worried that we don't have the sense to pour pizz out of our own boots. That's why we Texans wait for their guidance.

Hey, nothing personal and believe me, nothing new.

I am running low on advice on how I should be reloading ammo though. It's been at least an hour.

They honestly mean well. It's not their fault that I hear nails on a chalkboard when someone with a northern accent tries to help.
For me, a northern accent comes from north of Interstate 10, not just the Red River.

But hey, thanks anyways.

#49 ·
Believe me when I tell you that hearing how to do things from Yankees is nothing new to a lot of Texans. It most often occurs as OUR milk and honey drips from THEIR chin.

If I had a saw buck for every time I got lined out by hearing about "how we did it up North" I could have simply taken a Cancun vacation.

My granny told me that this is actually the root of one of her favorite expressions, "Bless his heart".

Well, I know in my heart that most are genuinely worried that we don't have the sense to pour pizz out of our own boots. That's why we Texans wait for their guidance.

Hey, nothing personal and believe me, nothing new.

I am running low on advice on how I should be reloading ammo though. It's been at least an hour.

They honestly mean well. It's not their fault that I hear nails on a chalkboard when someone with a northern accent tries to help.
For me, a northern accent comes from north of Interstate 10, not just the Red River.

But hey, thanks anyways.
Great, another guy with a chip on his shoulder. This time against non-southerners. Grow the f**k up. We are all Americans.

The long lines of people in TX looking to others for help, whether buying food, gas etc, are proof of people not preparing. I didn't make anything up. And AGAIN, this happens everywhere; TX is just the latest example of this.

The problem started when we went from being 90% rural to 90% urban. We came to rely on all of the city utilities, and grocery stores. Any disruption of these flows became a crisis, because we no longer knew how to cope; and the situation just gets worse with succeeding generations.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the jerks and dumbasses on here. Gonna take a break for awhile. I'm sure some will say good riddance.

Reactions: Ingramite
#47 ·
I can see people in Texas having food and water supplies on hand to sustain themselves for a couple of weeks like anywhere else. But, who would have ever thought a Texan would need to be prepared for Arctic conditions with no electricity or water??? I know I would have never seen THAT coming. Godspeed to all of the great Americans in the great state of Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.