1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my six inch STI wide body from Triangle Shooting Sports last Thursday and shot it in an USPSA match Sunday. Great pistol, no regrets.

The 6 inch pistol weighs less than my five inch single stack. Indexes like a dream and cycles scary fast. This pistol runs like mad and things happen fast. I think I am gonna love it.

Here's a pic:

And here's a close up of the slide:

[This message has been edited by Ankeny (edited 02-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've been considering putting together a 6" gun too but I'll tell ya', I've talked to a couple top 'smiths and a couple GM grade shooters and they are all convinced it's not the best idea. They are unanimous in their opinion that the best setup is a light 5" gun. Look at what Jarrett, Barnhart, Letham, etc. are shooting - not even extended dustcovers.

But... They all cite slower index times with the longer gun and if I recall my physics and you look at race cars, they're right. However, I don't think saving a couple hundredths from target to target is the biggest concern for shooters below Master class. Heck, below B class, just getting hits is a priority, that's where I think the longer sight radius has value.

Let us know what you think of it after a couple matches. Benny makes good guns so it ought to work well regardless but I'd like to hear your opinion of the long gun after a few months.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kbear38S:

I agree with all of what you said. Remember that I have only been shooting IPSC for 6 months and I am 45 years old. I recently visited my optometrist and he tells me I’ll be in bifocals within a year and my lenses are hardening, meaning it takes more time to shift focus from far to near. I bought the longer pistol for the visual aspect of the game, but from the 500 or so rounds I have fired, I think there are some mechanical and physical advantages as well.

Before I bought the pistol, I spoke with several big name pistolsmiths such as Dawson and they all advised to go with a 5-inch like the Edge. They all advised against the 6-inch gun. I then spoke with the folks at STI about the 6-inch Eagle and they advised against it for IPSC saying it was for slower matches with par times like NRA Action Pistol. The folks at STI then turned me on to Benny Hill, saying that he had designed a 6 inch with a lightened slide that seemed to overcome the inherent disadvantages of their slower pistol. That's pretty high praise coming right from STI.

Benny’s pistol has several cuts to lighten the slide, including milling out the bottom where the reverse plug is housed as well as milling the sides in a fashion very similar to a Browning Hi-Power. The entire pistol weighs 38 ounces and that is less than the 5-inch Edge or 5-inch Infinity. I took a ball point pen and moved it along the bottom of the pistol searching for the balance point. The pistol (less magazine) balances right in front of the trigger. Trying to get a pistol to balance directly in front of the trigger is kind of like searching for the Holy Grail, but Benny did it, probably by trial and error or just dumb luck.

I haven’t weighed the slide, but my guess is that it weighs the same or even less than the slide off of a fat 5-inch. This pistol leaves the shooter with no sensation of the slide cycling at all. Things happen very fast with this pistol. In short, it is lighter than the 5-inch Edge, cycles as fast or faster, balances better, and has a longer sighting radius. I am sure there are disadvantages as well, but I don’t know what they would be. I can tell you that the RO who ran me through the 4 stages Sunday told me that he watched the pistol very closely and he was impressed with how quickly the muzzle returned to where it started from.

On one stage we had 8 pepper poppers set up in kind of a U-shaped arrangement. The closest target was 10 yards and the furthest was 14 yards. I am very slow on the draw and my first shot broke at 1.6 seconds, but I had all 8 targets down (falling) in 4.9 seconds. On the second run I hit the first target in 1.3 seconds and had the last target hit in 4.3 seconds. Eight pieces of steel in 4.3 seconds is faster than I have ever gone, and I was just delighted at how the pistol handled.

Time will tell, but the only thing I have to compare to is my Les Baer and that’s apples and oranges. I do know that the nicest handling pistol I have shot, prior to this one, is a standard 5-inch gun built by Benny Hill on a short dust cover STI frame. That pistol weighed 34.5 ounces so I know Benny is (was) a big fan of the lighter race guns.

I think I am the first IPSC newcomer to buy one of Benny’s 6-inch guns. Benny told me he is having a hard time keeping up with production and he is making a lot of the longer guns. Most of the guys buying his longer pistol are M and GM shooters in search of the competitive advantage and that's pretty typical of IPSC. Benny told me that most of the GM and M shooters are shaving off a little time, and having an easier go at tight shots with the longer pistol. I can see making tight shots easier, but racing faster with a longer gun does kind of fly in the face of common sense.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That was a quick turn around time, glad your up and shooting, and shooting well with the new heater. I really don't think the extra length will hurt anything. I know the extra sight length will help, or at least it did for me when I had a front sight on the end of a compensator. Sounds like the 6" is also light, lighter than your old pistol, so I'd bet the new one will also swing and stop quicker.

Ankeny, Can you compare your times with your old limited pistol vs. the 6" one in some standard drills, i.e. Bill drill, and El Pres. etc..

Maybe in the future we will see some of the big dogs going to the 6" pistol. Change takes time. Barnhart went to a dot, and it took a while for the idea to take hold. Some big name shooters tried the dot and switched bact to irons, until they saw the match results, and they knew they had to switch to keep up. My guess is that we will see more of the 6" pistols, but I've been wrong before.

We'll have to keep an eye on Ankeny, he's probably the man to beat in Wyoming, and he'll be hard to beat if your behind the technolgy curve.

Good day

Brad

·
Registered
263 Posts
barnhart took fourth in the open nationals with open sights this year!!! which convinced me not to go with a red dot since i would have to spend more money instead i am just dropping a comped bbl in my glock.

i like my G24 even with the 6" bbl i don't think it slows me down too much.

i am very interested in the findings on the STI 6"

------------------
Any gun will do if You will do.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Hello Ankeny,

Your new blaster looks great. Where in WY do you shoot. Do you ever get to any matches along the front range? I'd love to see you gone in person.

Back before dots...Chip McCormick used a very comp gun (7" sight radius) at the steel challenge saying the longer sight radius was more advantage to him than a shorter faster moving gun. I think it depends on the course design what will be a better gun, short vs long, heavy vs light, dots vs iron sights. Kind of like setting a car for the type of track it will run on.

Anyway, glad you happy with your gun and it sounds like it is running well for you. If you ever come into the front range, love to see your gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts