1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently phased out Blue Dot in favor of Longshot for use in the bigger calibers like .357, .44 and .45 Colt. I'd grown weary of Blue Dot's inconsistency in metering, and I was looking for a replacement that was less troublesome. I don't load at the bottom for "plinking" loads, but I don't exceed published maximums, either. I like to use each caliber to its potential, and I must admit that I like the recoil push from upper middle range loads.

I recently put up 100 .45 Colt 255 grain Keith LSWC on top of 12.3 grains of Longshot. In their online loading data, Hodgdon lists loads from 12 to 13.4 grains. From a 7.5" barrel, they list velocities between 1129 and 1252fps. I was interested in getting about 1050fps out of this combo, and my Blackhawk has a 5.5" barrel. So, I estimated that 12.3 grains would be somewhere in this range. Although I have a chrony, I don't have anywhere that I can use it these days. :(

During loading, I noticed that the Longshot filled maybe 1/3 of the .45 Colt's case. So, I wasn't expecting that recoil would be any different from any of the other loads that I've tried in this caliber using powders like Blue Dot, #7 and even HS7. WOW, was I wrong!

I have never been recoil shy, but when I touched off the 1st round of this load, I got slapped like I had never felt before. Recoil was significantly greater than any .357 or .44 load I've ever put up. I immediately looked at the primers, and, to my surprise, although they were somewhat flattened, they were not a cause for alarm. Starline cases looked no worse for wear.

I wear a leather batting glove to keep perspiration off my guns, and it also tends to help me get a stickier grip on the guns. But, this thing would twist in my hand and pull my arm up to almost 45 degrees, and slam the back of the trigger guard into my right hand middle finger. The twist of the grip dug into my left support hand palm. I seriously wondered if I'd be able to make it through the 100 rounds that I'd loaded. I cannot imagine what this load must feel like with 13.4 grains of powder in it.

In the end, I was able to get a better grip on the gun and it wasn't so bad for the last 50 rounds or so, but I very nearly reached the limit of my endurance for recoil with this load. The holes in my target left by the SWC's were a clean cut circle, so I know that the bullets had to be smoking as they passed through. The load itself burned very clean, and there was very little unburnt powder remaining in the cases. Accuracy was great. If not for the recoil, this load would be a sure winner.

Has anyone else tried Longshot with the .45 Colt? Have you had a similar experience? It certainly took me by surprise.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes.
It will run right on the heels of H-110/296- if Velocity is what you're after.
John Linebaugh has online articles covering handloading +P .45 Colt that's informative.

I've found a Keith type, or WFNGC of 250-265 grs., at 1100 fps will put down deer and hogs like a .30-06 at handgun range.

These loads usually shoot through whatever game I'm after.
Guess I see no need for the monster loads I used to shoot when I was younger.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Heavy recoil with Longshot in .45 Colt.....

A steady diet of shooting heavy recoiling handguns can cause a flinch.....it happens. Best to work up a light load for practice, and adjust the sights if needed when shooting the more powerful loads that produce the stout recoil.
You don't need to shoot heavy loads on a continuous basis, it may damage the joints in your shooting arms.....and more than likely will cause a flinch which will detract from your ability to hit where you aim.....

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes.
It will run right on the heels of H-110/296- if Velocity is what you're after.
John Linebaugh has online articles covering handloading +P .45 Colt that's informative.

I've found a Keith type, or WFNGC of 250-265 grs., at 1100 fps will put down deer and hogs like a .30-06 at handgun range.

These loads usually shoot through whatever game I'm after.
Guess I see no need for the monster loads I used to shoot when I was younger.
Not really after velocity, but think of the big boost you would get from a 20in rifle barrel.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I don't often see Longshot mentioned in here, and I can't recall that I've ever seen anyone mention using it in the .45 Colt. So, I was curious.

I've been shooting these larger calibers and magnums since 1976. I'm not afraid of the recoil. By the same token, I have no interest in being silly and reckless. Although I don't have any arthritis or other joint problems to contend with, and flinching has never been a problem, I don't want to tempt fate.

That's what prompted my question. I know that the 255 LSWC .45 Colt can be loaded to +1000fps very safely in the Blackhawk. Longshot's specs seemed to be a great match for loads in that range, and the performance of the load was really good. It's just that in comparison to other loads that I've regularly used in the .45 Colt, using relatively slow burning powders, the recoil associated with Longshot seemed to be noticeably more heavy.

Longshot is a new powder for me; but, I doubt that I'll be shooting it very much in the .45 Colt. I've also put up some Longshot loads in .357 and .44 Mag, and I'm more interested now in seeing how those do.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Longshot is a good powder for full-power loads and works well in .40S&W.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Longshot is probably tied for my favorite powder with AA#5. Two different powders with different strengths. Longshot works for all kind of lower pressure fast pistol cartridges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.