1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a slightly used (and I mean slightly) TM longslide. Been flawless for about 200 rounds...very accurate, but sure loves 200gr SWC behind 5.0grs of Bullseye - lights out with that load...

Don't see many of these in the used gun cases, so I just had to add her to the collection. If you ever see one, don't hesitate...

Dead
:cool:

· Banned
170 Posts
I have one as well...

and love it. My only complaint is that it's a PITA to disassemble/reassemble for cleaning. Accurate, moreso that I am, and reliable thus far. Don't see very many of these around. I understand that SA no longer makes them.

· Registered
47 Posts
Reassembly is the problem

Dissassembly is very easy. Just follow the owners manual. Reassembly is a pain because there are no directions. It is nearly impossible to get the slide on the frame without the spring popping out. I made a jig out of a 1"x3' with 1"x2"s on either side and the top and lined it with felt. The idea is you put the slide with the spring upside down in the jig and side the frame on with your right hand and hold the spring with your left. Line up the slide with the semi-circle notch on the slide and insert the pin. The pin is tricky to insert as you have to have the toggle moved toward the muzzle. Best thing is to gently tap the muzzle on the felt of the jig so you can see the holes line up. You might need an awl or pin to give the toggle a little push forward and line up the holes. Insert the pin to the bottom of the retaining pin and push in and up. I will post a photo of the jig if needed.

· Registered
3,612 Posts
We could start our own little club :rock: . I have the Longslide TM also, and agree, it's a tackdriver with my 200g LSWC/5.3 W231 load. I'm glad I have tough hands because that checkering is sharp on mine.

Regarding reassembly. Here's the easy way (at least for me). Holding the slide upside down I insert the barrel - then spring retainer goes into it's hole in the slide. Now here come the tricky part - I insert the rear of the guide rod with spring attached into the spring retainer, compressing the spring until I can get the back of the guide rod to slip into it's place in the frame (right on top of the barrel). I then grasp the slide with one hand (making sure the spring is straight and under control). Finally I insert the front of the guide rod into the spring , and wiggle it into the spring until the two parts meet. Then screw the rod together. I have a complete top end ready to slide onto the frame.

It's harder to explain than to show you, I hope you can picture in your mind what I have tried to explain.

I'll be shooting my Longslide tomorrow :cool: .

· Registered
180 Posts
Assembly

Thanks all for the come back.

I shoot 185 gr lead SWC on 4.5 gr of Bullseye. Never fails to feed and groups about 4 inches at 25 yards handheld. This SA is a Gucci compared to the 7 inch AMT Hardballer I had years ago. It rubbed itself apart after a few thousand rounds since the slide and housing were the same grade of stainless.

FL Panhandle

· Registered
47 Posts
More than one way to assemble a Longslide

Primersinmyshoe's way should work as well as mine. Just a little different method. Be sure to wear safety glass when assembling. That spring can really shoot parts at you. Wish I was going shooting. Maybe I'll go to the indoor range. I tried the Magtech 200 gr. SWC and they worked well for me. Glad to see other people have had no problems with the SWC feeding. I am going to try the SWC at the 2"x4" cutting match in April. Can't wait. Check out the web site http://www.woodworking101.org/.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments...

as for the fellow who thought the checkering was very sharp -- easy fix. File and emery cloth. Work to your desired feel. That's one of the first things I did after getting this TMLS...good luck

Dead
:p

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Got a SA Longslide, but it was before they came out with the Loaded or Trophy Match. Accuracy was ok, but had a Storm Lake Machine Co. 6 1/2" comped barrel fitted and is and absolute joy to shoot. 45 Supers are what I call my "Smile Bullets" Every time you pull the trigger you can't help but smile. Tracy

· Registered
81 Posts
TSP,

Can you tell me what weight recoil spring you are using in your 45 Super gun? I have a compensated Nowlin 6" 1911 that will supposedly shoot 45 super if I upgrade the spring, but I have not found out what weight to purchase to do so.

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Ockenfuss,

I switch back and forth between a 20 & 24#. The 24 drops the brass about 4-6' away and the 20 throws them about 15-18' Depends on how far I want to chase them and if I'm in a spot where retrieveal could be a prob. Haven't had any malfunctions with the 24 being too strong, but for my particular setup (sounds like yours is extremely similar) I think a 22# would be perfect, brass not too far or spring too strong. 24 is a PITA to get in, that's why I tried a 20. Don't have a 22 yet or that would be my 1st choice. I use ISMI springs exclusively. Not saying that Wolf or Wilson are bad, I just personally like the mileage I get from ISMI's. YMMV, but try heavy first and then move lighter. A spring is cheap insurance, so don't under-spring to start out.

Check out the mods that are recommended before shooting alot. EGW flat bottom firing pin stop and extra heavy duty firing pin spring. There are other things, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. They've been discussed at length here so do a Google and you'll be OK.

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Pretty much, if you use a FLGR in a 6", it has to be a 2-piece. I don't know how you can get a 1-piece in with the longer dustcover. Tracy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.