1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the gun club today, and there was a gent with his son on the 25' range with me shooting a colt .22, Then he pulled out this 38 super, I had to take a look at it, and he let me take a couple of pics of it, As near as I can date it is 1931, the serial # is 730*, The condition was 99%
and it belonged to a woman somewhere down the family tree who got it new! She was a target shooter way back when,,,, I asked if he would concider selling it for 1K, He said, no, it is part of our familt history,,,,,,, I would also agree, and I would not sell it period, As near as I can tell, It was the third year colt made the 38 super, The MSH was arched and checkered,
WOW what a beauty!
Just thought I'de share a most exciting Colt
PB

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think you offered about 3K under market. If you would have offered 4K he may have listened! Nice gun it is. Only thing that could make it better would be 1929 production!

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
This was when Colt was truly at the top of their game. Simply fantastic!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The Depression Era Government Models are some of the nicest Colt ever made IMO. I recently saw one like that go on AA for over $5K sold by jackthedog.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy has no idea what he is sitting on, It is just an old family gun to him. I personally at the time had no idea that it was that old, The 4 digit serial # kind of thrilled me though,,, It seemed to go bang real nice, When I was done at the 50 yd ramge I went back looking for him, He was gone,
I can always check the sign in sheets to find out who he is,
I think I am still drooling a bit, I guess that there are not many of those still around in that condition.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
No, not something you see everyday. It really shouldn't be shot, it's a collectible pistol. Every little scratch or bit of wear will only hurt it's value.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
..it would be nice if you told him what he had so someone in his family doesn't get taken when he is gone...

A LNIB NM just sold for $6K+ on Gunbroker...

Bob

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Oh Man, that gun gives me the sweats

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I think you offered about 3K under market. If you would have offered 4K he may have listened! Nice gun it is. Only thing that could make it better would be 1929 production!
Absolutely! Hey....maybe he knows what he has and you incredibly insulted him by offering to steal it from him!!! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
If it has the original stock barrel the "target shooter" was probably pretty disappointed with the thing.
The original headspace was on the semi rim on the barrel hood only.
Normal tolerance could allow the round to 'cock' in the chamber and many had poor accuracy.
Around the 1960s headspacing on the case mouth became standard might even be early 1970 for colt production guns) and accuracy was greatly improved.

It has way too much collectors value for any changes to be made now.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
..you are a little off on your timing. George Nonte came up with the idea of headspacing the Super on the case mouth to try and improve accuracy...this was in the late 70s. BarSto I believe made the first barrels so headspaced. Colt's first headspaced on the case mouth barrel was the 1986 Super Elite and it was not until 1989 or 90 that it became standard production.

Bob

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Bob, believe it or not Colt must have had some idea about the headspacing and accuracy long before that. A friend here has a circa 1935 (?) 'Super Match' in .38 super. Looked it over closely one day and found that its barrel chamber was headspaced for the case mouth! (Yes, it's the original barrel.)

Turns out the gun was made especially for the owner of a store in our area that lead the nation in Colt sales at that time. The gun is in maybe 98% condition, so the current owner shoots it a little bit, and I've run a couple of magazines worth through it too. You don't need a garbage can lid to cover the groups, it'll do 3" or so at 25 yards with ball or handloaded lead.

Interesting, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If they did they didn't tell anybody about or make any attemt to correct the problem....

In 1982 or 83 I was at the SHOT Show in Dallas and stopped by the Colt booth. While there I spoke to the reps about my experience with the two Supers I had, a 1952 Commander and 1969 GM. The GM was shooting 3' groups at 50 yards before the BarSto barrel was put in...3" after.

They told me to write the company... I only wish I had kept the condesending "our barrels are within SAMI specs.." letter I had gotten for a reply. I was so pissed I ripped it and threw it in the trash...

Funny but at the same show I believe it was Springfield Armory was there and I talked to them about the new GMs that there were showing...and they were going to be in Super. The reps there took notes...and when their guns came out gee if they were not headspaced on the case mouth... And it's funny I never saw any announcment about the change in chambering when Colt finally did change almost 12 years after the SA guns hit the market and whiped Colt's A$$ accuracy wise. One of my best friend bought a SA Factory Comp in 1989 and it ws a one holer right from the box...

If your friend barrel is an original Colt that would be interesting to have inspected and documented...

Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One last picture

This is sure one fine drooler, I would need a bib if I owned it!
I will go through the paper work for the club next week, and find the owner and let him know what he has!
I wish I took a pic of the holster it had with it, It was sheep skin turned inside out with soft fluffy on the inside,,,,, Vintage to the gun!
What a drooler!
:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts