1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a day where the net nules and gun rags are lacking I thought this might jar yuor memory to get out an old magazine and read what the real gun men had to say about our BHP or other favorite. The photo is of a Shooting Times, April 72 and a October 83. Would you beleive that the old BHP received hi marks? One article mentioned how the BHP was being used in 68 countries. The other said that if Mr. Browning had brought out the BHP in .45 that we may have never seen the day of US troups toting 9mm. I am not a debate starter but I think the BHP is the most underated handgun of our US history. Oh well they are just thoughts you know. To each of my shooting friends Happy New Year and may GOD keep you and your family in his right front pocket throughout 2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
plastic said:
I am not a debate starter but I think the BHP is the most underated handgun of our US history.
Why "our US" History? The BHP has a very limited US history as opposed to it's use/acceptance elsewhere in the world.

Ed

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts were that we should have BHP's in 75% of law holsters, and be having whole popular web sites with thousands of members bragging on their BHP. I reckon I see us, USA, as having been around the world looking for an answer to a problem we have had the answer to for 60 years. I am at most to blame I have owned and shot handguns for 24 years and I have just recently discovered the BHP. One range trip changed my mind. It was and is one of the most easy shooting, accurate, and dependable handguns I have ever fired. I was thinking here we sit with a handgun design, in use around the world, shooting the caliber our gov has decided we will carry in combat, working on the same principle we(troups) had been accustomed to for decades and we go and reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I kinda like the fact that as Americans , we are a 'niche' group of shooters who enjoy this fine pistol in all of its forms. The 1911 is SOOOOOO much overexposed. It is nice that we have not joined a trend. I hate seeing 1911 in gun rags, i would love to see a few more p-35's and a bunch of Makarovs, but its the 1911 that gets soo much press.

We like this pistol, and a lot of people want to 'dog' us for not getting on the 1911 bandwagon. Not saying that the 1911 is a bad pistol, its great, but there are sooo many other fun choices out there that keep this shooting sport diverse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to go on record as being the Skeeter Skelton groupie. I have both his books, the book his wife put together, both magazine type books, they had hard bound edges and were a collection of only his work, and many old Shooting Times magazines. I have also collected up numerous books he refered to in his writings. Possibly all this means nothing to most but I would not sell all the above at any reasonable cost. To me he was the MAN of gun writers. I have and continue to read others, I have a notion that Mr. Camp is badly underated. But when its all said and done I would rather have 5 of skeeters favorite pistols than hunt anywhere in the world or own any other 5 firearms I could possibly imagine. I was reading his work when I was not quite old enough to purchase what I wanted and boy did he have a way of telling tales. There was one about a Horsethief N.M. gun show that I have read at least 10 times, it is so funny and graphic you can feel yourself sitting there laughing along with ole Skeet. I am sure saddened that I see a generation comming along that knows nothing of the great 60's and 70's era gun writers. so long for now........ you know that is how us gun lovers found out about stuff, we didn't have the net. , makes me stop and think just how importiant there work was back then.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought last month's Guns & Ammo, it had an article that was pened by Elmer Keith from the '60's. It was like talking to an ol' friend. Brought back memories from a gentler time. Would like to see the same in ST. Skeeter had an old ppk/s .22 with mmc sights. thought long and hard at trying to buy it when he passed. had more want than cash, seems like I do that a lot. i've picked up some of the gun rags over the last couple a years, they just aren't the same. do a lot more memory thinkin' now-a-days. what was done, not to much what to do... ,Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts