1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one care to give me feedback on these guns? Looking at buying one in 98% for 450 nice flat black, great bore, and very nice fit on the slide and barrel lock up. Comes with box and goodies, Green light? Looking at it for a trail gun.

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Thanks for answering my question about date of manufacture of my Commander. I thought stainless came out in 1998 or 1999.

As far as the gun itself, it is my most accurate piece. You will not believe it, but I can put 5 shots into 1" at 25 yds. from a rest! (consistently).

It has over 5000 rds. thru it, with a total of 4 jams. It is a well fitted gun. I have added Novak sights, replaced the extractor with Wilson Bulletproof, and put in a 20 lb. Wolff recoil spring and Wilson shok-buff. All other parts are factory Colt (except Wilson mags).

I'm a Para guy by choice, but I have nothing but good things to say about my Commander.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ty,,
I prefer the Commander over the GM for every day use. I have carried one on duty for many years both uniform and plain clothes. I like the way it carries and the smooth transition when shooting multiple targets. To me the Commander is better balanced than the GM and the 3/4 inch loss in barrel/slide length still allows for a good sight radius. Basically anything that can be done with the GM can be done with the Commander.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Shane and Ken,
Thanks sounds like glowing recommendations to me. I have a CPL so this sounds like this might serve me well on weekend trips too...

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello Ty,

I have the Colt Series 80 Combat Commander in Stainless Steel.

Pistolsmith Terry Tussey gave the Commander a reliability package (I hear that the current 1991-A1 Colts do not need this) and a trigger job.

The Commander is now 100% reliable with factory JHP and ball ammo and the Videki trigger breaks very crisply at 3.5 lbs.

No other gunsmithing was needed. The stock Colt barrel is very accurate.

The Combat Commander balances in my hand better than the standard Government Model.

I can't see how you could go wrong paying $450 for a clean, slightly used, 1991 Commander.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
286 Posts
$450 is a very fair price for this piece. I think that you would be very happy with it, though I prefer the GM if I am going to have full frame. I am however, a bit larger than the average bear (just a bit though!). Buy it.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Yeah a hair trigger(3.5pounds) on a carry gun. I would say get an Officers series 80. Trigger is'nt so hairy and its smaller yet. And they can be found easy enough. Even get a 1991 S/S officer length. You want a heavy pull on a carry gun. Because hair triggers are for target pistols or hunting rifles. Don't belong on a carry piece at all. For the reason that it could be a warning gone bad. Or blowing one in your own leg or middle section.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, agree on the trigger pull, but that can be tuned with out a smith, I setup my own guns for 3.5 and 4 pound pulls. To me trigger pull is not an issue as I only touch it when I want to pull it. As they say it aint a finger rest.
Cheers
ty

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys picked it up and took it to the range this AM, just as accurate as a full size, the colt mag kept FTF the spring was too weak. Used a Chip mag and ran perfect through three boxes. Only thing is it bites me on the web, might have to tinker with that or change my grip.
Thanks for all the Feedback!

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Yeah the 1991s are all great guns. I have an Officer 1991 I am probably going to try to deal on this friday maybe. Really you like a light pull on a carry piece? I think that is a mistake. But good choice of firearms Ty. Rich

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Red,
Its not that I like a light pull, its just to me 2.5-3 is light 4 is normal and 6 is excessive. Just what I have gotten use to over the years
. Its just like setting up the shifter, brakes, and clutch in a street car, I would configure my street cars the same way I did my race cars. No transistions, no surprises!

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the feedback, as far as the length I have a Ultra CDP that shoots ver nice at 40 FT if not better then the commander. Like them all from 3" Ultras to 6" inch Trophy Matches.

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
generally if your gonna have problems with a 1911 pattern pistol it will be with one of the sub 4" barreled pistols. Its a dwell time thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts