1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am looking at a Springfield Mil-Spec as my everyday carry. How does everyone like there's?

·
Registered
46 Posts
dont own one i have a loaded model.. but i have shot them many times and love them.. for the price you cant beat it and all the upgrades you can put on it its really worth the money..

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Mine is 6 years old with about 6,500 rounds through. No issues what so ever. I shoot IDPA once a month and its my nightstand gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are they for after market accessories?? Triggers, springs, bushings, slides, etc?

·
Registered
762 Posts
How are they for after market accessories?? Triggers, springs, bushings, slides, etc?
They are fine for mods but no real need to change the slide. :biglaugh:

STI titanium/carbon fiber trigger
Wilson Combat sear
Wilson Combat hammer
Wolff sear spring
Storm Lake barrel
Colt factory hammer strut
Colt factory thumb safety
Ed Brown firing pin
EGW barrel bushing
EGW firing pin stop
ISMI 16-lb. recoil spring
10-8 NM rear sight
Nighthawk bar stock plunger tube
Ed Brown hex-head magazine catch lock
Colt factory slide stop
Ed Brown tactical mag catch, cut down .020"/serrated 20LPI
Wilson Combat 'Commander' grip safety
Polished feedramp, barrel, breechface, firing pin tunnel
Wolff plunger spring
Caspian SS pin set
4.25-lb. trigger pull

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I will say it again. The Milspec is what we used to do to a Colt Gov't model to get it carry worthy. I am old fashioned and like it as is. I might add night sights since it will be used for home defense and one can not pick the time of day when one will need the gun. I like the short trigger, don't get hammer bite and the arched mainspring housing makes the gun a natural pointer for me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have a Mil-spec. Don't like the short trigger. Don't like the arched mainspring housing. Don't like the heavy trigger pull. Don't like the jam-o-matic feature.

I do like that it can all be changed. I am soon to find out about the great Springfield customer service I hear about.

I debated if I was going to buy a Mil-Spec or a Series 70 repro, and chose the cheaper alternative. Perhaps I made a mistake?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wanted a WWII era looking pistol and bought a Mil-Spec because of SA's lifetime warranty and great customer service I'd read about. Not to mention price...

It was quickly clear to me that in order for me to enjoy shooting the pistol I was going to need an extended beaver tail installed, as my hand was bloody after every range visit from hammer bite.

Here's where I made MY mistake: I sent the pistol to SA for upgrades SEVERAL TIMES. If I had taken a moment longer to research what I wanted, I would have sent it in once for the loaded package.

All said and done, I'm COMPLETELY satisfied with what I have.

From the SA Custom Shop:
A SA Mil-Spec with defense package, extended beaver tail grip safety, Novak style nights, semi-fitted bushing, MSH replaced with non-ILS version.

Drake did the melonite finishing for me. I LOVE it.

From the pictures I've seen and the Loaded Compact I own, I can attest to the quality of the Custom Shop's work versus production line "Loaded" quality in all regards. The Custom Shop does FANTASTIC work!

Gallery link:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The Mil-Spec is one really nice plain jane 1911. IMO, its got just enough features to be carry ready right out of the box. Mine has over 4000 trouble free rounds through it.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I will say it again. The Milspec is what we used to do to a Colt Gov't model to get it carry worthy.
I had a Colt Gov't that I did that way too.

Today I went to the shop to decide what SA I was getting. The Milspec is a great starting platform.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Have a Mil-spec. Don't like the short trigger. Don't like the arched mainspring housing. Don't like the heavy trigger pull. Don't like the jam-o-matic feature.

I do like that it can all be changed. I am soon to find out about the great Springfield customer service I hear about.

I debated if I was going to buy a Mil-Spec or a Series 70 repro, and chose the cheaper alternative. Perhaps I made a mistake?

bought my SA GI back in January....i've since replaced ILS MSH with a smooth/flat lanyard loop MSH, installed commander hammer/Pachmayr grip safety for obvious reasons, had short GI trigger replaced, DIY trigger job to reduce extra heavy factory trigger pull, ejection port had to be lowered to achieve 100% ejection reliability, extended Fusion ejector installed/tuned and Fusion extractor fitted. Kimber match barrel/Baer bushing replaced the questionable SA two piece GI barrel. Now i got one sweet reliable shooter.:)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
From the pictures I've seen and the Loaded Compact I own, I can attest to the quality of the Custom Shop's work versus production line "Loaded" quality in all regards. The Custom Shop does FANTASTIC work!
I completely agree with you. In 2006 I was on the hunt for a Mil-Spec, an "NM" prefix one ot be exact. Found in a shop, NIB for $369. I snagged it. After shooting it a bit, I sent it in to the SA Custom SHop for a beavertail, single sided extended thumb safety, 10-8 Performance rear sight and long trigger, and 4# action job. They did an incredible job on it. People that have seen this pistol and shot it can not believe this started out as a Mil-Spec. Total amount into it, $769. :rock:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm not the type to buy several identical platforms, but the mil-specs are a great value and aside from the sights, they're "good to go" as is. Only one of three required a real break in period.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love mine

Only pistol I have and I carry it everyday. 1200 rounds and never a hiccup. Only modification was shortening the hammer spur about an eighth of an inch with a file. Didn't change the "look" but eliminated the hammer bite.
Wooly

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm an idiot!

I sold mine to help raise money for a motor cycle! I love the bike, but now I need another Mil-Spec. I'm carrying my Springfield SS Loaded that I use for IDPA, and it is a fine pistol, but the Mil-Spec gun is better for daily carry. To make matters even worse I can't find a decent deal on a Springfield now that I have cash in hand! Oh, I wish I had not sold that gun!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I Am looking at a Springfield Mil-Spec as my everyday carry. How does everyone like there's?
I like mine very much its a keeper. I've sent mine in to SA's custom shop for the " Armory Kote " and bought the " US " grips. Gun came back better than when new. I replaced the arch MSH with Flat and elected to keep the short trigger it initally came with.

I only wish Springfield will market the Mil-Spec with the vertical rear grooves instead of the slanted, then I think it will outsell most everything they have in their catalog.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've had mine for just a few days short of one year now.
I've done a few changes, some for visual reasons only.
SS Recoil Spring Plug
Solid Aluminum Medium Length Greider Match Trigger
DIY Trigger Job
Wide Spur Hammer
Non-ILS Serrated MSH and all the internals
Ivory Grips
S&A Engraved Grip Screws

I've had a Kimber Compact CDP for close to nine years that was my first 1911 and it has been my daily carry gun until I got the Mil-Spec. The Mil-Spec has replaced it more often than not as my CCW weapon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts