1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came over from the Sig Forum and have been a Sig fan for several years. Now that their version of 1911 has been introduced, I am obviously very interested in 1911s. I have a medium sized hand. A large palm with short fingers. I am thinking along the line of a compact model similar to my Sig P225. This is where I need your infinite wisdom. For under $1000 which brand/model do you feel would accomodate my needs for accuracy and feel? Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
96 Posts
Being that you "just came over from the Sig Forum and have been a Sig fan for several years", you probably wouldn't be happy wth anything less than a Sig GSR. .:D

Otherwise, I'd look into a Para Ordnance if the concept of a high-capacity .45 pistol appeals to you, or a Colt, because as a lot of our fellow 1911 fans on the Colt section proclaim, "anything else is just a copy".:)

In any event, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of ol' slabside.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You will probably be happy with any of the major brands.. COLT, Kimber, Springfield, etc... Get out to to stores and hold them all.. Only you will know what suits you.. Enjoy the heck outa what ever you choose, the only bad choice is the one not made.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you're thinking about something in the area size wise of a P225, you should take a close look at a Colt Defender.

·
Registered
21,773 Posts
Unlike SIG-Sauer, all single stack 1911 derivatives have about the same size grip. You can tinker with it by changing from arched to flat mainspring housing; or picking standard, thick, or slimline grips, but the frames are pretty much the same width and thickness. Some older S/A and Caspian frontstraps are less rounded, but that is about it.

The extra compact guns are just shorter in the butt.

Suggest you hang on for a GSR and change grips if necessary.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I love my 225. Sizewize, I agree with the above.. if you are looking for something the size of a 225, you are talking compact or ultra compact (3.5 to 3 inch). But I will warn you that on 1911' s when you shorten the slide, they sometime become flaky. Shop with care and use the search here to do some research.

Good shopping!

·
Registered
113 Posts
As Jim Watson said you can change the mainspring housing from arched to flat and go for slim grips and you can also get a short trigger which should help also. You might talk with your local gunsmith and let him help you decide what mods will give you the best grip for your particular hand size. That's the nice thing about these days. Technology has made fitting a gun to your particular needs much easier that in days of yore. So go and try all the guns you think you'd like and then see what mods will make it fit you like a glove.

·
Banned
256 Posts
I'd suggest a used Colt Commander, or Officer's model if you want the short grip. You can probably get a good one for under $500, and it will give you a chance to try out the classic 1911 feel. Then, if you like the 1911, it's onward and upward. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts