1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Best bet would be a Glock 30 or 36. EAA also sells a Witness Compact in 45 ACP and I have heard good things about it. For my money though I would get a Glock.:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be nice...

I've been trying to find some pics online. I must say, I really like the Taurus pt 145. Very small, very lite, 10 rounds. :D

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Re: That would be nice...

Mister Ron E. G said:
I've been trying to find some pics online. I must say, I really like the Taurus pt 145. Very small, very lite, 10 rounds. :D
Yes, but have they got their frame cracking problem fixed? Hairline cracks were known to develop at the rear of the frame on the PT-145s.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
972 Posts
Mr Ron,

The Taurus may "look" good but every one of the "PT" series I have seen in my CCW classes has had a terrible trigger, and I mean TERRIBLE! A good trigger (smooth, clean, crisp let off) may be the single most important factor contributing to shootability (hitting intended target).

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll second Richard,I've heard nothing but praise on the Thunder .45 Bersas and they aren't expensive.
Another possibility in the revolver route is the Taurus 455 snubby in .45acp.:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
While not especially compact, the lightweight, 8-round HK USP Compact .45 is very accurate and has all the controls in the right places, and a correct grip angle, much like a 1911 except for the (improved IMHO) mag release.

In Variant One (of about nine available) it is perfectly safe to carry in Condition One, cocked and locked, or if desired, decocked in Condition Two with a long heavy self-cocking pull.

It also can be had in a variant that behaves exclusively like a 1911, with no decock.

One advantage of this pistol is that one need not drop the thumb safety to manipulate the slide (as in a press check). The lack of a grip safety is nice too.

The trigger is rather poor compared to a 1911 but in single action is adequate, somewhat like a SIG-Sauer in single action. The DA pull is atrocious, but one need not use that mode.

The HK is a good alternative to a non Government size 1911, except for the lack of 1911 flatness.

This pistol is much more reliable than the usual 1911 variants made smaller than a Commander, and in my experience is at least as reliable as the finest 5 inch 1911s with 7 round mags. It will run longer without maintenance or parts changes than any small format 1911.

Cleaning and lubrication is much easier to accomplish than for a 1911 as well.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Glock 36 for true maximum "compactness", Glock 30 for a slightly thicker gun and higher mag capacity.
Same trigger pull every time is a good thing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
jacketch said:
Witness Compact .45

Even better would be the 10mm version:D
Got to disagree with ya there. Haven't yet found anything from EAA that was reliable. I had a witness and after having to send it back due to feeding problems (incidently, problem not solved), I traded it for a Colt. I'd go with the sig or the Glock. If you're gonna carry, you need to be confident that it'll work when/if you need it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cobra (formerly Republic) Patriot.

20 ounces, 6" x 4.75" x 1", 3" barrel, 6+1 capacity, takes Officer's mags, big enough grip to get all the fingers on. Mine has been very reliable. My only complaint is that the trigger - a full DAO - is very heavy.

(The Patriot .45 is unrelated to the "Patriot" 9 and 380, formerly made by Talon, though Cobra did replace the zinc slide of the Talon with stainless steel.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts