1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I'm thinking about adding to my 1911 'collection', which consists of 1 Kimber Custom TLE II, government length, at the present. I like the Kimber just fine, but I am looking to upgrade and go with a commander length for easier concealed carry. Right now, I'm looking at the Ed Brown Kobra Carry, the Wilson Combat Professional, and the Baer Monolith Commanche.

So the question for you Ed Brown guys is why I should go with the Kobra Carry over the other two?

I'll be posting the same question in the other two forums. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Try your best to personally handle all the weapons you are thinking about buying. None are cheap, so get what fits you the best. That means fits you the best physically, features, money wise, etc. Yes, I had to drive over an hour one way to do this myself; it was more than worth the time. If I wouldn't have done this, I'd have made the wrong choice in my selection.

I picked the Kobra Carry over several other makers. Bottom line for me, I wanted a no nonsense, mostly traditional looking pistol. I also liked the fact the EB makes the frames, slides, parts, etc. himself in house. The fact that other pistol makers used his parts told me something about their quality. There were other things considered, but these were the basics for me.

Loved the Wilson, but to me, was not worth the several hundred dollars it costs over the KC. You are going to find that most of the guys that own each model are going to be loyal; which is why you need to try them all yourself.

So personally, I say get the EB; all things considered, it's the best of the bunch; good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Browns and Wilsons are much more alike than Baers. Baer has a philosophy of using very tight fits to achieve accuracy. Which they succeed in doing. But the down side is a very tight pistol.

Wilson offers more options and finishes and calibers and sizes.

Brown makes one pistol. The only differences are cosmetic.

The OP will have to handle them to perceive his personal likes and dislikes. we can't help you. In the Brown forum you will hear Brown! In the Wilson and Baer you will hear each respectively.

Each is a fine maker. None are crap.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have handled a Baer and found it to be overly tight - so tight that I could not rack the slide unless the hammer was cocked, and even then with a considerable amount of force to get it started. I ultimately chose the Brown over the Wilson mainly because of the traditional 4.25 inch barrel with the standard bushing, and also price. I liked the feel and the aesthetics of the bobtail as well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
For me it came down to looks, since all are quality weapons. The Brown was just way better looking. Still is, IMNSHO. :)

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Got 2 LB's,got 1 EB KC.Next comes another EB.Totally different 1911's.Both FAR beyond my abilities as a shooter But that just makes me try harder to run them to their max!:)
DAT85

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Monolith would be off the list as a carry gun for me due to the extra weight and the limited holster makers.

I carry a Baer Custom Carry Commanche that I can operate just fine, but I have seen some Baers that would be difficult to run things like one hand/weak hand re-loads and malfunction drills. An overly tight gun would not be in consideration for a self defense pistol for me.

Of your list I would go with the Kobra Carry, but would seriously re-think the Executive Carry sans the bob-tail.

Wilsons are not worth the extra money to me, and I dislike painted 1911s.

Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I appreciate the quality responses and advice. I do intend to try to handle each of these fine guns before making a decision. Although, I don't expect that to be very easy to do. I've only seen one or two EBs and WCs in the local shops that I frequent, and never a Baer.

I got some comments in one of the other forums about posting the same question in each. But the results have been interesting and I think that it's working for me, as I wanted to try to get some technical insight from the shooters of each gun. I'm getting that from the EB and WC forums. So far all I've seen in the Baer forum are variations of "get a Baer because they're cool", which doesn't help me much.

moyler - why do you suggest the Executive Carry without the bobtail over the Kobra Carry?

·
Registered
502 Posts
So far all I've seen in the Baer forum are variations of "get a Baer because they're cool", which doesn't help me much.

moyler - why do you suggest the Executive Carry without the bobtail over the Kobra Carry?
Baer pistols are beyond cool, I have a couple. However, I wouldn't buy one for concealed carry, unless I could inspect it first, AND it had a loose enough fit for practical work.

Regarding the Executive Carry, 2 reasons mainly:

1. When training in heat (sweat) or rain, the snakeskin treatment left me wanting a little more 'grippiness'. (I carried a wonderful Kobra Carry for years, my Father is now the proud owner via Father's day gift, and he couldn't be happier). The 25 LPI checkering works better for ME on a CCW.

2. Grip. I prefer a standard grip slightly, compared to the bob-tail. The bob conceals slightly better, but with a quality rig, I can carry a standard frame 1911 just about as easily. If I am doing the shorts and a T-shirt thing, I generally carry a GLOCK 19.

As CB and mil spec said, if you can handle, or better, shoot the guns prior to purchase, it might save you some $$ down the semi-custom 1911 road. Preference is subject to the individual. If you get to my locale, hit me up.

If I had to start from scratch and get a carry 1911, it is a Brown Executive Carry, slightly customized for my needs/wants.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got to Handle Some

Well I found a dealer closer in to Houston that carries all three of the makes I mentioned, and also Nighthawk Custom. So I got to handle guns in the length that I am looking for from all four of these builders.

All were impressive in their own right, and the craftsmenship is evident in all of them. But in my opinion the Ed Brown stood above the others. It just felt 'right' in my hands. Well balanced and very stable. Truly a beautiful piece.

I did experience what some of you have mentioned with the Baer. The slide on the one that I looked at was very tight - almost difficult to rack. I can't see getting very comfortable with it as a carry piece. The Wilson just didn't seem to have the balance that the Brown has. The Nighthawk was closer, but the slide was a little tight on this gun, as well. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying here - the Brown had a nice slide-to-frame fit, no side-to-side slop or anything, but the action felt much smoother.

This was the first time I had held a pistol with a bobtail MSH. I had switched out the stock plastic (!) MSH on my Kimber for an arched one, and I really like the feel of it. So I suspected that I would like the feel of the bobtail, and I was right. It felt real good in my hand.

So I'm set on the Ed Brown. The thing is, this shop I visited certainly wasn't taking anything off the price. In fact, I'll have to go back to the Ed Brown site and check, but I'm pretty sure they were pricing above list. So where can I get the best price on this gun?

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
FWIW - I dont believe the Baer slide to frame fit is all that tight. They do fit barrels tightly.

I have several examples of each. Each has a different personality, or style. Let the style be your deciding factor.

That said, I'm getting a new WC CQB Elite soon.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Sounds to me like you went to Collectors Firearms. Nice place to browse, but yes they ask for more than MSRP on their "nice" guns. Do your buying online.
I strongly recomend against that. I dont promote higher than MSRP, but an online purchase of a $2k pistol? Seems like asking for grief. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I strongly recomend against that. I dont promote higher than MSRP, but an online purchase of a $2k pistol? Seems like asking for grief. :confused:
I wasn't thinking so much about shopping online. I was thinking along the lines of reliable dealers that some of you might recommend, that have a brick-and-mortar location and a website at which I can search available inventory, will ship to a local FFL, and can do better on price.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Hmm well the last time I checked this is the modern world, but of course what other folks pay for their pistols is their business. I would find an online retailer, pay with my credit card and save some money. But whatever floats your boat :)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm well the last time I checked this is the modern world, but of course what other folks pay for their pistols is their business. I would find an online retailer, pay with my credit card and save some money. But whatever floats your boat :)
Have you got any recommendations? By the way, I did go back to the Brown site, and the shop I was at this morning was definitely asking more than list, by about 10%.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Everyone here seems to love George at Gunslingers and I ordered a pistol with him last week. Seems like a nice guy and he has a sharp pencil.

http://www.migunslingers.com/
Many, many, of us have bought from George; including myself of course. I can't stress enough that you should call him. Not only does he have great prices, he's excellent to work with.

If you only take one piece of advice, take this one. He also deals with Wilson and other high end pistols; not just Brown.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I definitely will contact george at Gunslingers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts