1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Although I am new to the list, I am not new to the wonderful 1911 style .45 handgun. After going through various Glocks, Sigs, Berettas attempting to find the perfect gun to fit my hand and allow me to shoot fast and steady, I always end up back at the 1911 family, and a 1911 pistol remains my favorite style and first choice. Regardless to say, I think I am a 1911 fan for life.
I currently own a Kimber Pro-Carry, and use this gun primarily for concealed carry when travelling in not-so-friendly neighborhoods. It is stock, except for the slim-line Wilson grips I have installed on it. I would like to get this gun customized someday, perhaps with a trigger job, reliability package, a teflon finish and some Novak night sights. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I can depend on to do these modifications well and in a timely manner? I'd also like to have this thing sighted in, since I have not a clue how to do this myself, or what tools i need to move sights around.

Secondly, I am interested in purchasing a new 1911 full-size all-steel pistol. I want to be able to shoot this pistol in IDPA and bowling pin competitions, and also carry it for self protection of myself and my girlfriend. I am right handed, use Wilson 8-round mags, and would like to be able to press-check this pistol. I have pretty good eyesight, and like to try and shoot tight groups at long distances, thus I'd like to get something very accurate (something I can use to shoot an acorn out of a squirrel's grasp at 25 yards with..etc). I also tend to love those Novak 3-dot tritium sights. I use 230gr Federal Hydra-shok JHP and would like to use this load in the new gun.

I am willing to spend up to $2,000 for a great gun, and would like to know if anyone has any comments or suggestions that could help me choose what to invest in. I don't know much about the market of 1911s, but I am seeing here on these forums that Les Baer and Wilson make great guns.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
For the first part of your question, we have some very good gunsmiths on the Custom Parts and Gunsmithing forum. They can give you a more detailed answer than I can.

For the second part, I think you'd be satisfied with a Wilson Classic. The Classic's slightly more accurate (1MOA at 25yds) than the Protector and it's in your price range.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are two Wilsons I think you would be happy with. The first is a CQB. I have one of these and I must say it is a fine pistol. The second is the Millennium Protector. Both you can press check as both have the standard guide rod.

Differences

CQB
has a green armor tuff frame and black slide
has diamond wood grips
has 1" at 25 yd guarantee
has a #463 3 dot tritium Tactical Combat Sights
has 30 LPI checkering

Millennium Protector
has all black armor tuff
has rubber grips
has a 1.5" guarantee at 25 yds
has 20 LPI serrations
has #367 nite eyes or a #367 non tritium sight

Terry Peters has a Millenium Protector with the Tactical Combat sights. I believe that this may be the best deal on the market today. For a working gun, checkering is really not worth the money as the fine checkering can be damaged. Also I think 1.5" guarantee is plenty. I do think the sights are worth the upgrade. The Tactical Combat setup with the green front and two yellow dots for the rear is nice. Contact Terry Peters at www.pt-partners.com or Allan Yoast (you can find Allan's number at www.wilsoncombat.com and look under the Master Dealers). Both are very knowledgable, professional and friendly.
Hope this helps

Edwin

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
Moving to General Discussion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.