1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the board experts

I currently carry a full size 1911A1 with GI sights (1980's Auto Ordnance) in an IWB holster and am thinking of upgrading.

I plan to stick with the 1911 platform but with a slightly shorter barrel and maybe a slightly shorter frame.

I was considering a Colt Commander, but after looking a bit, noted that the Sig 1911 Carry Stainless was similar size but $150 less with a lot more upgrades (Novak/Trijicon sights, steel main spring housing, etc). I assume that the Sig 1911 Compact is same as the Carry but with just a slightly shortened frame.

From a search of the internet (it must be true if it is on the internet:rolleyes:), I am a bit confused as to whether or not the recent production Sig 1911 Carry Stainless (1911CA45SSS) and Sig 1911 Compact (1911CO-45-SSS) has a forged frame or a cast frame.

Any negatives on the Sig Carry or Compact that I am missing? And any feedback on whether the Sig frame is forged would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Sig RCS Sport, which is a compact model. It has the commander slide on an a lightweight aluminum officer's frame.

I wouldn't recommend new production Sig 1911s until they get their act together. Right out of the box I had extractor issues and still have failure to return to battery issues. I solved the extractor problem by installing an aftermarket part but the guns should be good to go right out of the box for as much as they cost. They are not.

I suggest you read the first couple topics on this subforum.

Anyhow, I've heard good things about Ruger's 1911 Commander so I'd give that a look if I were you. It's stainless, made in America, and seems to have a lot of good reviews.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My Nightmare Carry has been great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also have a Nightmare Carry. It's an excellent pistol - wouldn't trade it for anything. It is accurate (and in my opinion more accurate than a 3") - one doesn't want to hit anyone but the bad guy and accuracy in a carry is paramount.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have both an RCS Stainless and the Traditional TacOps. They have functioned flawlessly for me. My RCS has accuracy out of the box that I have never seen on any other gun. It's hard to beat the features, finish and function of these guns in the $800-900 range.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Sig 1911 Carry Nitron and the Sig 1911 RCS two-tone and they are both accurate and I have had no FTFs. Both are 12-18 months old and purchased new. Get a Sig and don't look back!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2011 built SIG C3. Commander barrel length with officers grip. I think it's the perfect size 1911 for carry, and with the aluminum frame it's quite a bit lighter. It's basically the same as the RCS except the RCS is melted.

My C3 is reliable, accurate, and concealable.

Fitch

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a SIG P220R (Carry). It is a bit heavy to carry but it is also a .45 acp. I am very pleased with my 220, but recently bought a P232 (.380), in SS trim. Although not as substantial as the .45 acp, it is a lot lighter than the 220 in the CCW mode. As a CCW it is not the ideal caliber, but it is better than empty hands. I like how it shoots--great fit and finish. It is also accurate in the self-defense mode 7-10 yards. I will start carrying the 232 in summer when wearing lighter clothes. In winter and wearing heavier clothes, I will continue to carry the P220. Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a traditional compact stainless 1911tco-45-sss and my son in law has the 1911co-45-sss. They are basically the same with his having the Sig profile slide. They are stainless steel (no alloys) so they have some "heft" to them. I come from a Marine Corps background with the "if you run out of bullets you still have a club" mentality. So I like the weight. Some people don't. If I were to do it all over again, I would buy the same model as it suits MY needs. I carry it in a summer special ll and in a Kelly C-Flex w/ thumb break, on a Bissel belt, depending upon my activities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2011 built SIG C3. Commander barrel length with officers grip. I think it's the perfect size 1911 for carry, and with the aluminum frame it's quite a bit lighter. It's basically the same as the RCS except the RCS is melted.

My C3 is reliable, accurate, and concealable.

Fitch
What do you mean "melted"?

·
Registered
804 Posts
What do you mean "melted"?
This is another term for "smoothing" or "dehorning" the sharp edges out of the gun. It can help with preventing snags on the draw / presentation from it's holster. Some folks also find the look more visually appealing. The SIG RCS is one of the models that features dehorning.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I also have a Nightmare Carry. It's an excellent pistol - wouldn't trade it for anything. It is accurate (and in my opinion more accurate than a 3") - one doesn't want to hit anyone but the bad guy and accuracy in a carry is paramount.
+1 on this.

The 3" guns always feel like they want to jump out of my hands. The Nightmare Carry is now spending more time strapped to my hip than my M&P45 compact.

·
Registered
259 Posts
C3 for me as well; however, I added a S&A magwell/MSH to it. That little extra on the grip made it perfect for my big paw. Shoots flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts