1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Academy Sports has a 23" long by 11 by 11 range bag that I looked at anyone know if they are good in the long run?
Second choise I had was a S&W one {made for them by someone else} Smith & Wesson XL Pro shooters range bag
http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!B(wOgz!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1Ej9BKd5oW0-Sw~~_35.JPG
I would like some opinions on they or a recomendation for another.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
The Midwayusa.com bag for about $40 is pretty hard to beat for the price. If anything its a little too big and will hold enough stuff to be pretty heavy.
The local gun club sells what appears to be the same bag with their logo for $100.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
The Midwayusa.com bag for about $40 is pretty hard to beat for the price. If anything its a little too big and will hold enough stuff to be pretty heavy.
The local gun club sells what appears to be the same bag with their logo for $100.

x2. I have the Midway bag and love it. I use the included stage bag more than the full bag, it's perfect for taking one or two pistols to the range or for competition use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was issued the big 5.11 range bag. Its really nice with an insert that is removal. It has Mag holders, Water bottle holder, multiple pockets, etc. Seems to be well made. Not sure how expensive they are but I am sure they arent cheap due to the branding.

·
Registered
752 Posts
+1 on the Midway bag!! My wife bought me one for my birthday. After transferring all my stuff from my old bag to the Midway bag, I told I needed to buy more "stuff" to fill up the new bag. It's a bag you'll grow into.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I just bought the Midway bag on sale. It is great. Lots of space, built in mag holders, two removable pistol pouches, brass holder, etc. Lots of features. Check it out on the Midway web site. I can't see how you could get a better bag at the same price ($39.99).

·
Registered
921 Posts
+1 on the shooters connection.
I have the smaller one, my CED had the whole bottom rip out with 2 guns and 800 rounds of ammo all over my garage floor.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got my "range bag" at Home Depot in the Tool Storage bag section... I got one on sale: 24x12x12 with tonnnns of pockets - about 20+ pockets & pouches (sized PERFECT for magazines, oil, etc...) Both internal and external. I got it on sale for $16.00 And it rivals and $50-$70 range bag I've seen. You will pay triple the price if it is "firearm specific". You really should check out Home Depot or Lowes. :rock:

I think I STOLE my bag. I'll try to get a pic up later.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
The first one looks like the one at Academy Sports is $59.00 If it is not it is a good copy of it?
Don't know the one at Academy Sports, but the Midway bag is excellent IMO. Exactly as described, much more room than I thought it would have. In fact, to fill it I may have to start hauling more stuff around :biglaugh:. Can't go wrong for the price.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I got my "range bag" at Home Depot in the Tool Storage bag section... I got one on sale: 24x12x12 with tonnnns of pockets - about 20+ pockets & pouches (sized PERFECT for magazines, oil, etc...) Both internal and external. I got it on sale for $16.00 And it rivals and $50-$70 range bag I've seen. You will pay triple the price if it is "firearm specific". You really should check out Home Depot or Lowes. :rock:

I think I STOLE my bag. I'll try to get a pic up later.
Good idea on the tool bag. Great price also.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've been using a Dillon bag for last 10yrs or so / and its holding up real well ...but I think a little more expensive ( maybe $ 80 or so ).... not sure.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Some of my local shops carry a bag "Michaels of Oregon" deluxe range bag - and I see a lot of them around - they seem to be ok for around $ 50.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I got my "range bag" at Home Depot in the Tool Storage bag section..
One of my range bags is this same "work around." A $15 husky tool bag and then all the guns inside in individual zippered padded pockets like from Midway, etc. You need these anyway for each gun in the bag. I have another bag that is Midway-like and the cheap tool bag is in some ways easier to use - it has many more elastic "keepers" stitched along the interior walls so sorting eyes, ears, ammo, mags, etc. is easier in it than the dedicated range bags.

In the past I also had one of the Dillon bags and it was excellent, too. It was blue and more attractively priced as I recall a few years back, but this seems like the bag I had:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25346/catid/26/Dillon_Modular_Range_Bag

Whatever way you go, get a padded pistol pouch for each gun you intend to put in the bag. This usually means buying extra as they generally don't come with any or only one or two.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is also very amazing what one can find at a decent size Goodwill Store.

Sometimes there is positively GREAT bags for $4-5!! You have to be lucky, but checking a couple out during other errands generally will provide a real deal. Last time I went I found a great full leather briefcase with just the right small pockets for a host of range gear....it just LOOKS something like a brief case....perfectly functional for gear bag.

Before that, I found a most excellent small canvas style, that carries 1/2 doz magazines, 3 50-round ammo boxes, the gun-de-jour, a small tool kit and magazine reload tool. Brand new, never used, $2.00!!! Strap, 3 zippered compartments. Doesn't speak of "gun stuff" either.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't know the one at Academy Sports, but the Midway bag is excellent IMO. Exactly as described, much more room than I thought it would have. In fact, to fill it I may have to start hauling more stuff around :biglaugh:. Can't go wrong for the price.
I have one of the Midway bags I bought when they had a real good sale price. I have seen the Academy bag for $59. I have also seen the 5.11 bag at a local police supply store. They are all virutally the same bag.

Midway runs various sales and I've seen their bag for as low as $29, however, I haven't seen it that low in a while. The Academy bag is $59, and the 5.11 is over $100. I don't know if they are all made by the same back-end company somewhere, so the construction quality may not be the same. They look the same to my untrained eyes. My Midway bag seems very well made though. As another post said, they will encourage you to put too much and end up being heavy.

I also have a Green Mountain Sports range bag that I love, but it cost quite a bit more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts