1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to add a machete to my kit. I'm not wanting a "zombie slayer" anything "tacticool" I just want a quality USA made machete for making paths through the woods, for using as a tool

My search turned up an overwhelming number of choices. So help me narrow it down. I'm not wanting to spend over $75, and I want something American made.

·
Registered
23,522 Posts
The only outfit I know of.

That makes them here is Ontario knife works. But they want 140$ for them which is ridiculous for a Machete. I would get one of the ones made by Tramontina. This a Brazilian outfit that has been making machetes about forever. They perform well and are generally pretty easy to find for about twenty bucks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes them here is Ontario knife works. But they want 140$ for them which is ridiculous for a Machete. I would get one of the ones made by Tramontina. This a Brazilian outfit that has been making machetes about forever. They perform well and are generally pretty easy to find for about twenty bucks.
I looked up Ontario Knife Company and they make "mil-spec" machetes for around $35 for a saw back which will work great in my pack. http://ontarioknife.com/tools/machetes2013-09-03-16-51-11/1-18sbk-machete-sawback-detail

Made in America and to military specifications sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, when I searched on Amazon I got way to many results and they bury place of manufacturer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've stood behind a machette for litteraly thousands of miles. Only two US brands worth having. Ontario Knife and Barteaux. 22" blade is best, 24" is prone to bending. I prefer the one with a hand guard, but some of my more limp writed compadres complain about busted knuckles. There is a trick to using one effectively. Physics is your friend.

·
Banned
967 Posts
Ive had great luck over the Years with all of my Cold Steel products.?No matter where they were made.? They served me well.? And they stand behind all of their products etc.?

·
Registered
23,522 Posts
I am glad that you got hooked up.

I looked up Ontario Knife Company and they make "mil-spec" machetes for around $35 for a saw back which will work great in my pack. http://ontarioknife.com/tools/machetes2013-09-03-16-51-11/1-18sbk-machete-sawback-detail

Made in America and to military specifications sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, when I searched on Amazon I got way to many results and they bury place of manufacturer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
I thought that 140$ was ridiculous. I must have gotten connected to some kind of bogus retailer web site. I have one of the Ontario Machetes, and it performs well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've stood behind a machette for litteraly thousands of miles. Only two US brands worth having. Ontario Knife and Barteaux. 22" blade is best, 24" is prone to bending. I prefer the one with a hand guard, but some of my more limp writed compadres complain about busted knuckles. There is a trick to using one effectively. Physics is your friend.

I have a Barteaux as well. I do not use it often, but it works very well when I do. The Barteauxs that I've seen all have a very thin, light-weight blade, if that is what you're looking for. Your local hardware store may have them, but in any case, you should be able to find them online.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a Barteaux as well. I do not use it often, but it works very well when I do. The Barteauxs that I've seen all have a very thin, light-weight blade, if that is what you're looking for. Your local hardware store may have them, but in any case, you should be able to find them online.
Maybe they have changed..
The Barteauxs I used to use where all heavy, solid units...but that was back in the 90's

·
Registered
794 Posts
Maybe they have changed..
The Barteauxs I used to use where all heavy, solid units...but that was back in the 90's

More likely they have different types of machete, for different types of vegetation.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have an ontario military surplus special and a esee. Let me tell you the grip and thinner blade make the esee worth the additional $40.00 unless you like blisters.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
The best 'machete' I ever had was a bolo made by Negrito's out of a jeep spring with 155m howitzer brass made into a hilt and a water buffalo horn handle.

Wish I still had it.

Jeep springs hold an edge.

Still have a small knife made the same way.

It'll hold and edge for decades.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not exactly a machete, but one of the Woodsman's Pal products might be something to consider. Made in the US since 1941. Right at the limit of your budget, although they do go on sale occasionally. I got my Classic last Christmas right from the mfr. for under $60 as I recall. They're solid and well-made.

Only minor complaint is that the very nice hardwood handle is a bit slippery but some fabric (hockey) tape solved that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I find the cheap ontario modwls to be as good as any..But find the saw back model to be of little value. Crappy saw imho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts