1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Stoeger Silverado 12 gauge Coach Gun and a Winchester .30-30 Trapper and I'd like to get a sixgun which will match the looks of my other two guns and could also be used for defensive purposes.
Any suggestions on which make/model?

·
Banned
91 Posts
Are you looking for a "cowboy" look wheelgun? If so, then I would not recommend any single action revolver for home defense. A modern revolver is much easier to use and load in a defensive situation.

If you want a companion piece for the field, Ruger makes some good single action revolvers. Others may know of other single actions that are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically, a sidearm which will compliment my other two guns in looks and also as a defensive firearm, even a 1911 if that's possible.

·
Banned
91 Posts
A 1911 might look a little out of place. A little too modern looking. Am I correct, the Silverado is a side by side, right? A Smith Model 10 is based on an early design. With +P's it is a good defense piece. Both the Ruger GP-100 and S&W L frames are newer looks, but they are good guns. One note, it seems that S&W only is making stainless revolvers now, you would have to find a used L frame.

Go to the gun shop and look, see what catches your eye. IF you like it, it is the correct gun for you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Aries68 said:
I have a Stoeger Silverado 12 gauge Coach Gun and a Winchester .30-30 Trapper and I'd like to get a sixgun which will match the looks of my other two guns and could also be used for defensive purposes.
Any suggestions on which make/model?

Barretta, Taurus and Ruger all make single action revolvers in the style that you are looking for in the $400 and up price range. Prices may vary in your part of the country.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What About a Colt?

How about an SAA?

It looks old fashion and is quality made......

Lee

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you're set on a single action, check out USFA. Technically they're Colt replicas (I believe they took over the old Colt factory) but they're better finished, fitted and more accurate than the current crop of Colt SAAs (cheaper too for most models). If funds are tighter check out the "New Vaquero" by Ruger. As opposed to the original Vaquero, it's closer in size to the original Colt yet still has the modern lockwork & is safe to carry w/6 rds. They seem to run around $430 new in my area Also Cimarron offers some really nice models (diff. era of frames, finishes-the "antiqued" is really cool) for great copies of the Colt at great prices if you want the "real" deal. Obviously lots to choose from. Have fun.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Ruger Vaquaro single action.

That said, I have a Uberti Cattleman case hardened frame 4 3/4" 45 long colt that I really like. Butter smooth action and accuracy was great right out of the box and it is about $100 cheaper than a Ruger. It also feels like a natural extension of my hand when I hold it, there is alot of good things to be said about the ergonomics of the old SAA Colt design.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When you talk about matching the looks of the coach gun & the M94, one immediately thinks SAA Peacemaker, but as MikeC noted, a DA would be a better choice for defensive use. A Model 10, or even better, an early M&P would work. A Model 3 .44 DA or a .38 topbreak would be perfect if replicas were available, but the originals are gonna be better suited for collecting than for serious social situations.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pistol

Yeah, I like the Ruger when you compare "bang for the buck".

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
which gun

Ruger Vaquero with the color case hardened finish. Or one of my true favorites the Super Blackhawk.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Schofield

Reddogge took the words right outta my mouth. The Schofield would look right with the other guns plus it is much more useful in a HD situation. Personally my HD gun would be that Stoeger Coach Gun. Load that little gun up with some 2 3/4" #4 Buck and you're good to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Heck, with the coach gun, your one third the way to SASS if you ever decide to go that direction. I would back it up with a couple of Ruger Varquero SA's. Lots of fun and as
stnguishdR1586 said use the Stoeger for HD. Lastly, if you put featherlites thru the Steoeger, you can shoot all day....
Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would go with a Ruger Blackhawk. Vaqueros are really cool, but I like adjustable sights. We have the 50th Anniversary flattop and it is great shooter. If you think six .45 LCs or .357s are not enough to defend the castle, lead with the 94 Winchester.

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would go with the Ruger. With it's transfer bar safety. You can carry six rounds. It would make a good home defense gun. Statistics show that the odds of you having to reload during an attack are rare. I would grab the shotgun first if I heard a bump in the night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts