1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not much of a knife guy, but frequently use a tool for garden stuff like opening fertilizer bags and cutting zip ties, and also for breaking down cardboard boxes.

The current tools I'm using are either a Japanese Garden Knife ( 5 of the Best Hori Hori Knives | A Gardener’s Path Product Guide ), which is a great gardening tool, but a little big and cumbersome for the other uses I'm looking for, or a Buck-Lite folder, that is a good size, but really a two handed opener, and often tough to clean fertilizer and other grit out of the handle.

I've thought a short fixed blade may be a better tool for my needs. I don't need a defensive weapon, but something more along the lines of a heavy duty box cutter.

I've been thinking of something along the lines of the ESEE 3 ( ESEE-3 ), Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter ( PENDLETON HUNTER ), which may both be more knife than I need, or the Wilson/Boker COP Tool ( https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO...functional-knife-bead-blast-blade-g10-handles ) (interestingly, I couldn't find it at Wilson's site - it was there a couple of weeks ago) which seems like it may be closer to what I need.

Any other recommendations or experiences with these tools are appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I carry an Izula II made by ESEE when deer hunting. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge pretty well and, for me, the prefect size for breaking down an Axis.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’m not a knife expert but I have a few esee knives. But the price point, I can’t think of anyone else out there with more value.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
For the gardening purposes, I would use a box cutter with replaceable blades. You should not use a good knife to cut up cardboard boxes, as that is very hard on a good edge. And box cutters are cheap.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Take a look at the new knife maker thread here....North mountain Knives.....Small fixed blade has become our daily winter carry alternative and may carry over to the non-wool vest months. And yep, we cut cardboard with it and the edge holds up well requiring only a quick touch up on a ceramic stick sharpener.

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good recommendations. I had forgot about the Izula II, that looks good, and is probably closer in size to what I was thinking of than the ESEE 3.

Markwell, thanks for that recommendation too. I remembered that thread RickyT had started for you. I went to the North Mountain Knives website ( North Mountain Knives ). Good looking stuff, but a little less convenient for me to order from them than some of my other options. If he was local to me, I'd seriously consider going that route.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I’m not a knife expert but I have a few esee knives. But the price point, I can’t think of anyone else out there with more value.
I like the ESEE knives, but even the little Izula would be a bit pricey for the garden.

One of the old wood handled Mora blades with the ugly plastic sheaths...oh, wait-they've gotten more expensive but Mora is probably still the value leader in carbon steel blades...as a matter of fact I've used one of the old wood handled models in the garden for exactly what you are talking about and it works wonderfully-they are true utility blades!

You'll need to wash, dry and oil it on a regular basis but for what you want one of the little Mora blades is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
13,495 Posts
Markwell, thanks for that recommendation too. I remembered that thread RickyT had started for you. I went to the North Mountain Knives website ( North Mountain Knives ). Good looking stuff, but a little less convenient for me to order from them than some of my other options. If he was local to me, I'd seriously consider going that route.
Oh come on jtq. Do it, North Mountain is good people. Just like a good leather holster, you have to be a little patience with the process. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Knives are tools. Use the right tool for the right job. Box cutters are named that for a reason. A pack of blades cost very little.
I use to carry a Busse Leaner Meaner when I did construction and it came in handy but now I have box cutters laying around in drawers as that's what I use most around the house.
Of course I also carry a Benchmade auto I got in Iraq as an EDC which is just a part of me now.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Mora knives stainless companion. Still under $20.00 on eBay. Used mine on a Caribou hunt a year and a half ago. It was the only knife of the three we used that didn't need sharpening when we were done. My son and his fellow soldier with us on the hunt were so impressed with that little knife, they each since have purchased one.

Reactions: Flatlander11b

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh come on jtq. Do it, North Mountain is good people. Just like a good leather holster, you have to be a little patience with the process. :)
A valuable point, and while I'm a pretty patient guy, I'm a little more of a log on to my account at Top Gun Supply, make a few clicks and order a Ritchie holster, rather than get on the list at Del Fatti and wait.

I understand the difference between the products, but I'm not that particular. Also, while I don't need immediate gratification, I do like convenience.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check out Michael Morris knives...Michael Morris Knives I own 3 of his handmade knives. He uses old metal working files for his knives. Very sharp and hold a good edge for a long time.

·
Registered
23,526 Posts
I like the ESEE knives, but even the little Izula would be a bit pricey for the garden.

One of the old wood handled Mora blades with the ugly plastic sheaths...oh, wait-they've gotten more expensive but Mora is probably still the value leader in carbon steel blades...as a matter of fact I've used one of the old wood handled models in the garden for exactly what you are talking about and it works wonderfully-they are true utility blades!

You'll need to wash, dry and oil it on a regular basis but for what you want one of the little Mora blades is perfect.
Plus one on the Moras! for a really good buy on a utilitarian knife of very good quality, they are hard to beat. Shop around though, prices are all over going from one vendor to another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts