1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I have recently become interested in the IPSC style of pistol competition, but "may" have a problem that could prevent me from progressing very much. I am right handed and have a left dominate eye (cross-dominate). I have been told that that would be a problem in shooting a pistol as I would not be able to sight properly. However in practicing at the range, I find that I can line up the sights quite readily under my left eye. From my point of view, if the front and rear sight are aligned on the target (regardless of which eye your sighting with), you're going to hit your target. Does anyone here have a similar eye dominance problem and, if so, how do you handle it. Thanks to all for any advice.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
394 Posts
crawdad,I have the same condition but it ain't no problem.I turn my head slightly to the right to use my left eye. Just keep practicing the fundementals,lack of that WILL hold you back,not some eye condition.Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by et45 (edited 11-25-2001).]

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm not cross dominate but my son is. I discovered it early in him and he has always used a firearm left handed. Shooting is something fairly easy to learn to do with either hand.

If you are already a practiced shooter and don't want to switch, I don't think it will pose a big problem for pistol shooting but it can be a huge problem with long guns depending on how dominate your right eye is. Point being, if you are just getting started in IPSC and you think you might want to progress to 3-gun, you might want to make the switch now and put in the extra practice before you get dialed in as a righty.

Only one man's opinion, just trying to help...

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited 11-25-2001).]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Having a cross dominate eye is no problem. As long as you know what your sighting off, you'll be fine. I've managed to make B class in a little over a year being cross-eye dominate. Three gun wise, simply shoot the long arms left handed. I shoot my handguns righty and longarms lefty. After a while, it isn't something you think about. Most of all though, shoot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Since I've been shooting right handed for so long, I don't think I'll try to change over at this point. I'll continue to shoot with my left eye like I've been doing and like several of you have suggested. Putting a lot of practice time into technique and fundamentals seems like good advice also. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here. I only have to slightly turn my head (hardly any at all). I'm able to shoot with both eyes open this way. Feels very natural to me even if it is a little unorthodox. Of course, being cross-dominant is unorthodox in itself, not to mention a royal pain in the fourth point of contact.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am cross eye dominant and I shoot with my left eye closed,(I know,its a no no). But I have been doing it for so long I'm not going to change now. I tried to shoot both eyes for a while,turning my head and just about everything else. I almost went crazy,after talking to a few people I went back to the old way. Has been working out OK and as long as I keep a regular practice schedule I keep moving up. I'm in B now seem to be improving.
Steve

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
As a personal decision I corrected my problem with plenty of practice, taped up lense on my glasses, more practice, and then a bit more practice.

I simply didn't want to give up the advantage of being able to point shoot easily. Using the "wrong" eye, I found myself hitting way to the left. I also believe that using the "wrong" eye magnifies minor sighting errors, which comes into play as the ranges increase. I also feel that controlled speed is easier with the gun not held in the cocked position necessary for the "wrong" eye.

I never saw it as a problem shooting until I started competing, and it was fairly easy to fix in about 6 months. Once I started gripping the gun properly for my "correct" eye, if the other eye tried to take over I found myself looking at the side of the gun instead of the sights.

I went from "C" class to overall match winner immediately once I got control over my eyes.

Of course this applies only to me, but I'd try to correct the situation if possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As others have mentioned, there are a few choices, which I list in order of "do-ability"

close the eye that you don't want to use

place scotch tape on the lens of your shooting glasses to inhibit the eye you don't want to use

learn to shoot with your non-dominant hand

At least with a handgun you have some options . . . unlike a long-gun.

SF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts