1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I am not but my shooting bud and best friend is. Keeping it under $1500 mods will come later looking for 20 plus inch barrel it will be set up for long range. As its stands the RRA or DPMS looks like the choice. I hear RRA is on back order. Any other suggestions. Would like to hear what you all think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
rra

I have a Rock River Arms ar 15 & a dpms ar 15 . The quality compared with the two I have, the rra is made with higher quality parts & an accuracy guarantee The dpms barrel came with a note (like an acurracy waiver) that states that they will not guarantee goup sizer as their barrels are not custom made . So for a few extra $ and the wait. I would go rra periode it will be worth it, well to me it is. I have not handeld or even seen a dpms in 308 just the 5.56.
go get 2 of 'em
Curt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Armalite AR10

I have an Armalite AR10A4, purchased before the ban ended, with a fixed stock and a brake instead of flash hider. The rifle is very well made, has never failed to operate properly, and the accuracy has been totally dependent on me. I think it should definitely be included in the comparison shopping.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I really wanted the RRA LAR-8 in the Varmint version but they had been dragging their feet for so long that when a used DPMS LR-308 came up in my area last year that only had 18 rounds through it I grabbed it.

The DPMS is very accurate and the quality is very good. This is not one of their cheaper rifles and new I think they go for under $1000. My best group so far is under 1" at 200 yards.

My next upgrade is a good trigger, this is something that will come standard on the RRA.

FYI, RRA is still not shipping the LAR-8. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=155970&page=12

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can only get an AR-10 from Armalite.
If he wants long range, the AR-10T is the way to go.

I plan on building an AR-10 in 20" through this year.

·
Registered
678 Posts
you can get Ar-10's from John Noveske too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I also vote for the DPMS rifles. IMO, they are the best bang for your buck ARs on the market. I only own one in .308, a LR308 - that came out of the box shooting a hair under one MOA, grouping around .90" @ 100yds. Extremely accurate rifle. Right now, I've added a Magpul stock (PSG-1/SASS style), an adjustable gas block, Badger Ordinance aluminum free float handguard, and 2 stage match trigger. Now, it prints .55" w/ 168gr. BH Match ammo. I bought mine new for right around 1K, and it's been flawless. Lower and upper are rock solid, no play, and so far, the 1044 rounds that have been through it have never caused a FTF or FTE.
I wanted an Armalite Super SASS or DPMS LRT-SASS, but didn't have $2000+ to shell out for one, so I bought this one, and am turning it into a SASS type marksman's rifle. I have shot the Armalite Super SASS quite a bit, one of my buddies owns one, and it's sweet, but now, I'm glad I chose to get the rifle I did and upgrade.
The Armalite AR-10T rifles are good choices also, but they are more plain M16/Ar-15 lookalikes with normal handguards w/ delta rings, A2 style stocks, and tall post front sights, which can easily get in the way of certain optics. The DPMS comes as a flat top and no sights, which makes it more versatile, since you can add on flip up sights or just stick with optics.
Either way, I think you'll be very satisfied with the big AR. It's what America's battle rifle SHOULD have been, IMHO.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Snip It's what America's battle rifle SHOULD have been, IMHO.
So you willing to run a few miles with me carrying 10 mags or roughly 300 rounds of ammo?

Americas rifle is what it is for a reason. The SR 25 is in service use though,Only for DM use though.

Rob

·
Registered
633 Posts
As a matter of fact, I would. Wouldn't bother me to have the extra range and firepower over the 5.56 if all it costs me is a few extra pounds. Some people might not agree and like the lighter rifle/ammo, but unfortunately, we have to accept what we're issued.
And yes, I am a veteran, so I'm not just talking out of my ass either ;)
Either way, both rifles have their place, I just think full sized rifles like the M16A1/A2 should have been in 7.62 - and lighter weapon needs could've been fulfilled with the CAR/M4.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A little more then a few extra pounds. I carry 120 rounds of 5.56 on my thigh alone. Id hate to be hauling around 2 mags for the AR10 on my thigh. the 762x51 in all reality as very little advantage till 600 yards. I was shooting the other day with my LMT with a Eotech 551 at 700 yards and hitting steel easily. Ammo was M855 and 75 grain TAP.

Granted past 600 yards the 7.62x51 has a very big advantage.

On a side note bob, I finally put up the money and purchased a Noveske N4. Also switched from the Eotech to the Aimpoint. Another discussion for another day though.

Rob

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dude,
4 mags on your thigh? I'd seriously re-think that. It will suck when you start movin'.

I've got a Noeveske stripped upper and lower, when I get the money, I'll build it inot something.

Damascus,
When you say Vet, I'll take it a recent combat vet, so at least your not one of those arm chair commandos talking out his a**. I still disagree though.

Bob

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, recent. U.S. Army Infantryman, 504th PIR, Ft. Bragg, NC, 1999-2003.
I know it's heavier, and the performance is negligible on an unarmored human target at short to medium ranges, I just said that it's a personal preference.
My opinion is solely based on the 2 rounds' performance on armored combatants, and light barriers. It doesn't take much cover to protect yourself from a 5.56 round, a whole lot more to deflect a 7.62, and even if your trauma plate can stop one to the chest, your most likely suffering from broken ribs and/or internal bleeding. Most baddies from any country these days are at least lightly armored. I'm not knocking the .223, I still like them and own 3, it's again just personal opinion and preference, just as some people believe the military should have stuck with the .45 rather than going to the 9mm.
Didn't want to start anything, just stating my opinion, whether anyone agrees, I just think the AR10 makes a more well-rounded all around battle rifle in most conventional battlefield environments.

And to stay on subject, you all keep mentioning Noeveske - I've never had any experience with anything from them, what's some pro's to their products? (also looking into buying another AR10 much lighter than what I already have for whitetail hunting).

·
Registered
678 Posts
You bring up a good point about armor. I would like to see the Military start studying a round between the 5.56 and the 7.62.

Noveske is well known among the AR community for his tight tolerances, incredibly great accuracy and most important extreme reliability. Basically John knows what hes doing.

I have experience with John and His stuff, I have a complete Noveske N4 Built by him.

Pro's To Noveske (in my opinion)
Super accurate most are known for Sub MOA accuracy. Even my N4 which has a Very Thick Chrome lining is MOA accurate.

Reliability for the Direct Impingement system is as good as it gets, I would put noveske Above Colt and LMT. I own 1 Noveske 4 Colts and 2 LMT's.

His trigger out of the box felt like my LMT after 6K rounds, There polished and cleaned up. Mine has no gritty feeling what so ever.

Magwell is to spec and accepts Pmags along with USGI and Hk mags all functioning as expected.

My N4 has a pinned and welded FH, its very clean and well done.

He himself testfires each one bare hand.

Most important John believes in a strong owner to customer relationship.

Cons
Price and availibilty most guns are custom built with the exception of his one and only line of production guns, the N4's.

Hes worth checking out,

www.NoveskeRifleWorks.com.

Rob

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Damascus,
Hey "Devil" I was 1/504 in 97/98, 1/325 87-93 with a year at Advanced Airborne, small world.

While I don't think the 5.56 is perfect, I think its a better answer then the 7.62, but we've had this argument before on this board.

Noveskes are good guns, most of the money is in the barrel, and may be lost on some shooters. They make an "Ar10" type also. IIRC they can build it on either the Armalite recever or the DPMS.

Heres where I see a problem with "AR10's"...

The Armalite uses a modded M14 mag, which must remain useable in an M14, so its a compromise, and will be less then a good solution.

The SR25 uses a purpose built mag, designed from the get go for the SR25, but they are expensive, and from what I understand not all that succesfull in the feild.

The DPMS uses the same style mag as the SR25, supposedlly interchangeable, but....well, its a DPMS.

I beleive GA Precision will build an AR10 on the Armalite or DPMS receviers also.

They are all something of a compromise, trying to use as many 5.56 parts as possible. They all seem to suffer from reliability problems.

Perhaps had we adopted it back in the day, instead of the M14, and it was allowed to mature as much as the 5.56 Ar has, we'd have a different situation, and the fact that its 7.62 could be almost overlooked.

As a disclaimer, I will say my opinion on the above manufactures of AR 10 types was/is based on research, which has prevented me from getting one, I wouldn't feel confident with any of them, that and well, I never really wanted one anyway.

Now an LWRC in 6.8,.....

Bob

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mus

PM in bound.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Been checking around about these Noveskes - looks like what I've been looking for. Yeah, I wish they could find a good alternative between 5.56 and 7.62 - the 6.8SPC isn't getting very good reviews, and it still hard to find cheap ammo for. I'd like to buy a .260 Rem upper and try that, when I get a little more money, but that wouldn't really save any weight, I believe those have to go into AR10 lowers anyhow.
Have you all seen the new Magpul Masada?? This thing looks AWESOME. The perfect combat rifle. Comes in 2 styles of lowers, one styled after an AR, with the mag release and mag well AR style, and the other AK style, with the mag release on the back of the mag well like an AK. You're supposed to be able to convert your current AR into one of these, I'm just looking through a Guns&Ammo 2008 Annual, has a Masada on the cover. It also is a PISTON system, so should be extremely reliable. So far, according to this article, it's only going to be available initially in 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39, and 6.8SPC. MSRP is claiming to be $1,400, supposedly available Spring 08'. I'm going to start saving for one ;)
@R.Moran - Killer! One year before I joined, you got out, I almost re-enlisted as a 19D, Cav Scout, but decided I better stay home with the wife n' kids :)

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WE check out the Noveske web site left by Gunlovintexan. Looks great but way out of price range:bawling: Anyways thanks for the info keep it coming as of now the RRA looks like the one. But i know my buddie if the RRA takes too long DPMS will be bought home soon. And far as or VETERANS lets keep the war over seas and I THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS:rock:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts