1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the best deal on surplus barrel right now? I'm trying to build a plinker 1911. I know about the Brazillian slides, but is there any other choices out there? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just realize my mistake!

I'm actually looking for both slide and barrel! I apologize if I've confuse anyone. :eek:
Is gun parts also known as Numrich? I've seen their add in Shotgun News for an ODI slide for $50, I'll give them a call tomorrow! Thanks! Anyone else?

·
Registered
691 Posts
The ODI slide Gun Parts (Numrich Arms) sells is a commander length slide, not a 5" government length.

Look in Shotgun News at Sarco's add, they not only sell the Brazilian slide, but an unmarked surplus one as well. A friend bought one of those for a project, and it looked new, but was scuffed from handling. It did build up into a decent gun though. We sandblasted and reparked it when it was done.

I bought a Brazilian slide last year for a project (never again) I draw filed the Spanish markins off it, peened the rails of the frame, squeezed the slide and lapped it together. It was a lot of work to get it presentable!

Sportsmans Guide also sells aftermarket slides for about $100 I think.

Byrd

·
Registered
191 Posts
labuyo said:
Will a commander slide fit a goverment frame? Thanks again!

kABAYAN......yes it will fit on a government frame. Check also E-bay I got one a couple of weeks ago for $35.00 its a Brazilian though. I will basically use it for practice in my milling machine, like installing rear/front sight and other custom work:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
A Commander slide MAY fit on the gun but it probably won't be reliable. A Commander has the frame rails a slight bit shorter and the recoil spring area is set back a bit. Chuck Rogers can cut your Government frame to Commander specs.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all!
I found one at the show today (yes, some gunshows here starts on friday's :)), a Colt slide for $50. Needless to say I'm happy!
Thanks again!

Snipe,
Tell me when you're ready for some serious work! I got a couple of project for you! :D
Mabuhay!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well folks, I'm happy to report that everything fit nicely (very little play on the slide/frame area :)), except the dustcover being a little long, but I can deal with it.
I'll gonna function test it tomorow or Monday. ' hope everything works right.
Its just kinda odd to look at, 'coz its a LLama frame and an all Colt upper. :eek: I think I'll just buy a Caspian frame for it in the future. For now, this will do.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It worked flawless, 600 rds no jam. This thing just cost me $185, ' sure beats the hell out of buying a Hi-point! :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts