1911Forum banner

Looking for My First .45 ACP or .45 GAP

2579 Views 34 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  kwt
I am looking for my first .45 acp or gap. I have been looking for a little while and I am really having a hard time deciding on one. I like the Kimber 1911,
Glocks, H&Ks, Sigs and Springfield XDs. All are very nice in the hand, but I'm really not too sure about the polymer vs alloy vs Stainless Steel.

I have seen a few (Glocks) that are 'ported. How would or does this affect the .45 cal acp or gap in performance? Would it be a good idea to port Kimber, Colt, or Springfield 1911's?

I have spent some time at the range with Glocks and have never had any problem with fit or shooting and the second shoot on a double tap was very quick but i am uncomfortable with the trigger safety I under stand that Glocks have three safeties but i am just not sure of them.

The Kimber I had time to shoot was the Kimber Pro Carry two and was very impressed with it's fit to the hand, and was great shooting. It had a nice push with a little rise, Double taps were a little hard to get back on target quickly in the same area. This could be me and my inexperience. This is all the real semi auto hand gun experience I have at this time as most of my experience is with rifles, shot guns, and wheel guns (do not like for carry).

Any advice, tips, comments to help me in this endevour would be great.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
How are you unsure about the performance of the various frame materials?
Are you concerned that a Glock or other Teutontic Tupperware can be worn out more quickly than steel? The opposite is probably the case.

Porting affects muzzle velocity a little. A handgun is a tradeoff between power and size, heavily biased toward size. If you can't handle an unported variant of a pistol you might want to consider a smaller caliber or larger pistol.
Porting is icing on the cake, not a solution.
It only takes the edge off of the flip and recoil, especially in a low pressure round like .45 ACP.
It's a free country so if you want ports then I'm sure you can find a ported Springfield Armory or send a 1911 off to Magna-Port.

If you are uncomfortable with a Glock are you uncomfortable with a DA revolver?
There are a lot of negligent discharges with Glocks. I've seen a couple myself.
I think that if you consider your index finger and brain to be the only safeties then a Glock is as safe a choice as anything.
Follow normal gun safety rules and a Glock is as safe as any other pistol.

The Kimber you shot was only 4" long and probably had an aluminum frame. An all steel 5" 1911 has less muzzle flip and slightly softer recoil.

ADDED:
I'm thinking of getting a Glock 38. I like the Glock in the 19 size but in a large round. I'm not a huge .40 fan so the .45 GAP in a plastic pistol is a good thing in my opinion.

· Registered
180 Posts
GAP --- Not !

All the pieces you mention are fine. All comes down to what you like. Would not recommend porting since the benefit is minimal and may impact resale value. Jury is still out on the .45 GAP. It does not seem to be catching on, and in time, may be discontinued. Very few wildcat rounds go on to great success - probably .40 S&W is the only notable exception in recent history. The GAP may enjoy a limited but dedicated following much like the 10mm, .38 Super, or .357 Sig. Also might dissappear like the .38/.45 Clark, .357 Maximum, and .45 Win Mag. If you are new to .45 ACP, recommend you consider an all-steel 1911 style first as a baseline for comparison.

Good Luck,
FL Panhandle

· Registered
281 Posts
Do not buy a pistol in GAP my buddy has a glock in 45 GAP and he never shoots it because ammo is hard to find and expensive. He also owns a kimber 45 that he shoots all the time.

· Registered
101 Posts
Don't get GAP. You'll regret it unless you specifically want to collect a pistol in a somewhat rare caliber. Even .357 Sig and 10 mm are more popular, in my opinion. (No, I don't have a case study, but I've met several folks that have owned/carried .357 Sig/10 mm, but no GAPpers.)

Not trying to start a caliber war, just being realistic about getting your first .45 pistol.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eckerph said:
Do not buy a pistol in GAP my buddy has a glock in 45 GAP and he never shoots it because ammo is hard to find and expensive. He also owns a kimber 45 that he shoots all the time.
I have heard that the gap ammo is hard to find and then gains are not worth the money.

Over Christmas and New Years I had time to really sit down and get some range time in (at home, I have 27 acres) with the 1911 platform and a wide choice of manufacturers from Colt to C Daily, 4 and 5 inch and I have become very found of the kimber pro carry 2 or i should say all of the pro 2's they feel lite when carried (chamber empty but full mag)(Yes It was carried openly pre State law) really did not seem to notice them doing daily things around the house I felt very comfortable with it around my kids (had kid duty for a day).

When i carried the kimber (on loan from my uncle) we went out back and did some runs on drawing from concealment and putting double taps on target at 10, 25 yards. At first i was all over and as i got use to what i was doing and learned how to draw i started getting better fast and buy the end of the week i was very comfortable carrying the pro 2 but i also know i need a lot more time on the rang and a few training classes before i would try for a ccw.

· Registered
532 Posts
As stated above, ammo can be difficult to find. My buddy bought a Gap not realizing at the time that it wasn't acp. He has a hard time finding ammo. At least more than a couple of boxes here and there.

· Registered
46 Posts
No Gap For Me !

The GAP(no matter what the hype may be)is no more powerful than a .45ACP +P. To me,the GAP's that I have delt with are no more reliable than a ACP. Even the ACP's in the shorter bbls. GAP's are EXPENSIVE to shoot(compaired to an ACP). Storebought ammo for the GAP is scarce. Walk into the bigger retailers and ask for GAP. Actually,I've found that most gunshops either don't carry it or carry just one loading of it. As said above,don't try to reinvent the wheel. IMO,go with an ACP,you'll be happier in the longrun. ---- Also,if considering this weapon for concealed carry... NO PORTS ! They will either blind you or burn you,or both. IMO they don't do much to tame recoil/muzzle flip and,as stated,are very loud. I tell people coming through my class,"if you feel that you need a ported weapon for CC then go to a less powerful caliber". These are just my opinions. I'm sure there are others. ---------

· Registered
28 Posts
different purpose, 1. 1911 is a enthusiast and bragging gun, hence .45 acp been around long as 1911 soooo your going to get a little biased response here. 2. .45 gap is a combat round in my opinuion, i own a glock 37 of course gap and think about it same 230 grain, same .45 cal, same pressure if not more, smaller grip, holds 10 rounds, what more do you want in a round????? i know the 45acp RULES the 1911 but in my house i reach for the glock 37 with night sights cause i know i handle that 9mm/40 sized frame with a .45 slide like a porsche. i am soooo accuarate with my glock 37 .45gap thats the round i trust my life to for now. i would probably NEVER buy a 45gap 1911 but i would probably not trust my life to a 1911 either, there are just more reliable designs id rather use. 1911's are beutifull glocks are undeniably reliable. what do you want your gun to serve as, defense, go with gap and night sights, target/bragging 1911 steel sights. heres an idea get a glock 37 with night sights and get a kimber gold match II SS with adjustable sights that my combo haha

· Registered
532 Posts
:rofl: I used to have a Glock 23. It was great for a while. No problems at first. Then it got to where all my mags, even new mags, would lock the slide back on the 9th round and leave the 10 round still in the mag. Tried buying new mags. Still had the problem 4 out of 10 times, atleast. Tried replaceing the recoil spring. Didn't help. So yeah, Glocks malfuntion too.;)

"1. 1911 is a enthusiast and bragging gun".....:scratch: :rofl: ...ok

The 45 GAP may be great. I don't know Don't really care. All I know is that my buddy I work with has a Springfield XD in .45 GAP and he has a hard time finding ammo. It is WAY easier to buy 1000 rounds of ACP than it is GAP. Sure you may find 1 place to 1000 rounds of the gap but you really can't shop and price compare like with the ACP. Not to mention a higher cost for the same performance.

· Registered
30 Posts
reflections on initial .45 choices....a year's worth!!.Long post!!

Dark Wolf said:
I am looking for my first .45 acp or gap. I have been looking for a little while and I am really having a hard time deciding on one. I like the Kimber 1911, Glocks, H&Ks, Sigs and Springfield XDs. All are very nice in the hand, but I'm really not too sure about the polymer vs alloy vs Stainless Steel....
Any advice, tips, comments to help me in this endevour would be great.
<Since I was cruising around, actually looking for inspiration on when, after 25 years away from a trigger, should I consider my skills good enough for competition...I thought you might be interested in the year-long process I went through prior to purchase of my current, only .45 1911...I have a lot of past decades in machinist and toolroom inspection-type activity, manufacturing engineering and such, but had only recently been released from 'gunlessness furlough' by my wife, misguided as she was for the time our kids were at home...I am just grateful for the momentary ***** in her armor that got her to agree!!....but I digress...knowing a bunch of metallurgy and composite technology can get one in tremendous trouble with the current crop of 1911 'clones', if you can excuse that term...mostly because, with the long-time gunsmiths, each technology has had huge experience, and has been honed(pun fully intended) to a high state of reliability, strength, blah, blah...my choices depended on several considerations, the most important of which was a self-analysis of the shootist behind the trigger...was this a plinker, a defender or dual-purpose(admittedly like a one-size-fits-nobody concept) desire...was I going to be carrying initially or later, was I likely to be cleaning every couple hundred rounds or abusing it...was I going to throw the gun around in a drawer, or keep it 'papoosed',... did I wish to re-load...was I thinking about shooting competitively if I could keep my wobble even on the paper after 25 years...ammo expense per cartridge...ability to upgrade a base weapon as it wore or as my desire to increase reliability, accuracy and rapid-fire escalated...500 rounds a week or 500 rounds a month...and that important one, with 3 in college...total price of admission with bags, cleaner, break-in ammo, extra mags........and others I have not recalled or that entered either longer ago, or at the time of this typing I have neglected as either obvious or obscure(!!)....Sooooo........

I went looking with a magnifier and a Helios high precision calipers, and found that all the top manufacturers made what I would call 'entry level' 1911s that were both credible and had individual manufacturing weaknesses...but after narrowing things down to Colt, SA, Kimber, a couple of 'higher end' sidearms for a reality check..WC, LB, and STI...random exams of three of each manufacturer led me to choose the Kimber as most consistent, gun to gun...not necessarily the visually best looker, nor certainly shiniest...but just on exam had less part to part variability in construction and execution...which for me, meant easier and more reliable parts interchangeability...and it didn't hurt for it to have a reputation for accuracy without further 'accurizing' hone work, etc....was I put off a bit by reports of FTF/FTL/FTE here and elsewhere?....after examining the guns, it was clear that all the entry guns needed either lots and lots of rounds to smooth things in the ramp and barrel verge or polishing work or both, and that there were as many opinions about extractors and springs, etc., as there were models of 1911!!....Soooo....new Kimber Custom II, with immediate Pachmayr American Legends grips for the front strap finger scallops, and McC Shooting Star 8-rounders times 4, a Boyt range bag and individual pistol bag, 10 boxes of Magtech 230gr FMC for break-in, a clean kit with lots of patches and plenty of gunk, my eyewear is already safety glass, my ear protection from drag racing tuning is fine also, and the entire budget came in at just under $800, from two separate sources, and I am not LEO, so yes, I think I bought OK for pricing!!...So........

Now it is 350 rounds later, about 2/3 into break-in, with no FTEs, no FTFs, and 4 FTL first rounds, all of which occurred in the first 6 mags worth or so, and all were accompanied by what I would call overly cautious chambering...did I use the slidestop method as recommended, or slingshot?....I started with the slidestop, as the factory recommends it, and immediately had the first 3 mags FTL...changed to slingshot, and after 1 because I did it slowly, I let 'er rip on loading, and every single round went without a hitch...cleaned after 150, cleaned after 350, will clean at 500, and then every 500 or so, unless I see problems.....which I predict will come from the MIM pieces, which will slowly be replaced with billet or forged, at low cost...I expect to change the barrel when I 'deserve it', as a milestone when and if I get all 'in the black' at 50 ft. slow fire #2s.....So.....

My first 334 rounds I considered to be sub-optimal for the usual reasons, all of which had to do with the fact that I had a very rigid plan about learning how to handle this gun after a long lay-off, etc....then I got a timely and very appropriate tip from a deadly accurate octagenarian who was a lane away, who told me it was time for me to start thinking less, pausing a bit
longer after exhale, and get my supporting hand away from my safety thumb
so that I could do things without changing my grip...and then he handed me a 25 ft. #2 and told me to just do my last two clips into it, without examining the target between.....my entire wobble area was 1 3/4" x 4", perfectly vertically in the long dimension, and about exactly half of the black was obliterated....his slow exam and comment to me, as I handed it to him was...
"Well, sonny, you may wish to give some thought to signing up for a match in a short while, as this would be about a 6th place finish here, locally"....

Notwithstanding his friendly exaggeration, I have to admit that with a relatively fuzzy view of my front sight, poor upper extremity strength, and no
prior two-handed shooting experience(I was taught by my WWII vet dad, decades ago, one-handed)...I was fairly satisfied with my choice, not to mention encouraged somewhat that I might get more accurate with experience...

The post-350 round exam of the sidearm....there is already signs of slight eccentric link hole wear, not measurable but visible, the extractor will obviously need replacing or tweaking pretty quickly or it will stovepipe sooner or later without a few quick caresses with stoning...the barrel interior shows mild coking after cleaning, so I need to do that a bit better...the barrel hood had a small burr or 'dink' from slider slamming, and the cause appears to be the outer final barrel grinding chatter in about a quadrant of the barrel....that will remain untouched, as it is polishing out and should seat, I would think, just looking how the gun works...the ramp clearly would benefit from polishing as well as the bore chamfer at the verge, but I will be patient with this and see if loading goes OK, now that I am pulling the slide back more definitively, etc....the black oxide finish on this gun is suspect for long term wear, with a higher amount of scratching than I would have anticipated from the extremely gentle care it has gotten(I am using the Boyt rugs during reloading as well as for bench use)...I can't wait to get back and try some real shooting, when I am well rested, and the gun a bit 'looser', and my early caution tempered by some more experience handling her...and I will definitely be going from my current eyewear to my contact lenses plus safety shooting glasses, to attempt a clearer front sight view...>

<I don't know if this is any assistance to you, but I had the opportunity to examine and help clean a similarly brand new GSR Revolution while I was doing my Kimber, the price point of which is about $200 more, and I think my choice was vindicated...the GSR looked prettier, but rougher machine work, and took dirt in places the Kimber didn't seem to collect...but that could easily have been the ammo choice, his being WWB, same strength as mine...I will be interested in your choice, and early results as well...I don't know how to post my first 'real' target shots, that 25 footer, but if I learn I will do so...I look forward to improving with time, concentration, and experience...>

· Registered
46 Posts
G37.... Or...?

For me----I would buy a G36 before I'd own a G37.Limited mag space...? So what,it's still an ACP. Just one opinion,no insult intended. Now,if G-lock came out with a mid size,single stack,in 10mm. WHOA !! I just might have one. ---------

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Gunmetal said:
45 GAP was created for guys with midget sized hands:D

If you can't get your claws around a 1911 with slim grips, get yourself another hobby....
Grip size is great on the 1911's single stack. The only problem is the different frames used on the 1911s steel, Alloy. What is lighter? What offers less recoil or more controllability....I have found the kimber pro 2 to offer a lightweight for carry and good controllability for a second shot.

Glocks a little chunky but still very easy to shoot and be comfortable with. Double taps are very easy with both the full size and compact.

Springfield XD...I like kind of the best of both worlds, I like the grip safety. It is very controllability for double taps.

Shot groups for all .45s i have had time with so far are a little off 2 to 3 inch groups but I believe that to be me not the weapons.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.