1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm currently using bullseye. for both with very good results....

Even the mail order places are short. And i'd have to spend a good wad to justify hazmat.

And a local source is getting $33/# for bullseye.....

I'm looking for other options for powder +1 for being able to use same powder for both 9mm and .45

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
You have limited choices. Spend whatever it costs at your local store, or buy mail order.

Open up your loading manual to see what powders are used, then check to see what's available at the LGS and internet. We're all in the same boat. Yeah, it sucks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You won't find a better powder for the 9mm and the 45acp than Bullseye.
For the last 40 years I've wandered away from Bullseye several times in search of a better powder.
I've spent hundreds of dollars looking for that Holy Grail of handgun powders.
But I always come back to Bullseye.

Pay whatever your gun store charges and buy all the Bullseye you can afford.
One day very soon it's going to cost a lot more than 33.00 dollars a pound, if you can even find it.

You can thank me later.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try BE-86.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
http://www.expansion-industries.com/ETR7-PISTOL-POWDER-p/etr7-1lb.htm

Give this stuff a look. I have been using it exclusively this year because it is available and affordable I like it and will continue to use it as long as it remains available. I use 4.2gr and a 125gr Hi-Tek coated lead bullet for 9mm and use 5.5gr in a Hi-Tek coated 200gr LSWC for .45.

Looks interesting and economical, but I'd like to see some velocities and pressure listings too. Is it a dirty powder like Bullseye and Unique.....or a cleaner powder like American Select and Power Pistol?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm looking for other options for powder +1 for being able to use same powder for both 9mm and .45
First choice, Silhouette, a very close second is Accurate #5. Both outstanding in the 9mm and 45acp, both available mail order. Two more very good choice for both calibers are HS-6 and Red Dot. Red Dot is very similar to Bullseye but with a narrower range of charges. HS-6 just plain works in everything. If you want a low recoil alternative use Competition. It also works great.

I have personally used each of these powders in both calibers. You've got some very good choices in powders.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
AA#5 is my first choice for 9mm and .45acp reloading; however, #5 is pretty scarce these days. Just bought 16# of HP38 @ about $20 per #. Not appropriate for some 9mm bullet weights, but works fine for others.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
For 9, I used Titegroup for awhile with great results but recently bought 8lbs of VV N320 for about $20 per pound. If you can find fellow reloaders in your area, do a small group buy on powder from places like powdervalley or wideners. That's what I did. I have power pistol and bullseye on hand but save that for my tokarev loads and light 357 mag and 44 mag loads.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've used TiteGroup, VV N320 and Clays, but I've standardized on Winchester WST. It's a very fast burning, low temp, low flash powder that's a breeze to clean up after, even with extended shooting sessions. It works well with lead, plated and jacketed bullets, but works best with heavy bullets and lighter loads.

I know quite a few competition shooters using it with good results.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've been using Titegroup, and very pleased with it. Meters well, and works great for my loads.

We all need to be flexible, and willing to try different powder brands that are available in your area. The Hodgdon web sight is a good source for load data.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I use tightgroup for 9 and 45 to 130 and 170 PF's. I have been happy with it and it's nice not to have to mess with the powder hoppers once it's set...

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
For 9, I used Titegroup for awhile with great results but recently bought 8lbs of VV N320 for about $20 per pound. If you can find fellow reloaders in your area, do a small group buy on powder from places like powdervalley or wideners. That's what I did. I have power pistol and bullseye on hand but save that for my tokarev loads and light 357 mag and 44 mag loads.
Where did you find N320 for $20 a pound?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've not heard of this powder. What/where is the load data for this powder?
There is some load data listed on website. I have heard a couple of different versions of where the powder comes from: 1. an imported shotgun powder, 2. it is a proprietary blend made for these guys from the Rio plant in Spain. I don't know for sure but that is what I have heard. Supposedly they had to do all of their own independent pressure testing and load development so more of that technical information is on the way. I am in no way affiliated with them, I just use the stuff because I can get it, it is affordable and it works. A good number of the local USPSA/IDPA shooters in my area use it as well and we are all experiencing similar results/satisfaction.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Even the mail order places are short. And i'd have to spend a good wad to justify hazmat.

And a local source is getting $33/# for bullseye.....

You've been given a lot of great variety of powder for your purpose. Aren't you in FL? We have bass pro shop that often have powders in stock or ship to store for free w no hazmat fee.

Gooluck out there :rock:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Where did you find N320 for $20 a pound?
My bad I should have been more clear. Actually $25 per pound it cost me - my math was a little off. I bought (4) 4lb jugs (from powdervalley) and resold two of them for $20 more per jug to some fellow reloaders in my area.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts