1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. Have several full size 1911s but no Commander style or Officer's style pistols. Am seeking input, opinions, and advice on the options currently on the market today. Really leaning towards the OACP because of the size and concealability. And I don't have one. Have read that the smaller platform is not as reliable, but have no firsthand experience. So, what brand would you guys suggest? Colt, Springfield, Kimber, or any other maufacturer? I am very open minded. And thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would put a vote in for Dan Wesson. If you don't mind waiting and searching for one the DW CCO is an excellent pisola. Commander slide with officer frame for great conceal ability. Slide to frame fit is bank vault tight. No MIM parts in the 2009 models. Basically what you would expect from a $2,000+ pistol for $600+ less.

If you don't feel like waiting then a DW CBOB might be more up your alley. Commander slide and frame bobbed for conceal ability. High quality. Available in 10mm or 45acp. All for around $1,000.

Dan Wesson is known for high quality for low prices, but not much custom stuff can be done to it from factory unlike Les Baers, Wilsons and the likes. They also use high grade parts in their manufacturing process. Extremely pleased with the CCO that I got.

Just my .02 though. And I realize there are plenty of other very fine manufacturers out there.

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
Officer's ACPs CAN be reliable but in my experience you will have a much greater chance of getting one that is not. And they can be a bear to get running right. The cycling takes place faster and in less space than a 5 in. They are somewhat harder to shoot well for most people. I don't think that concealing a 4 or 5 in. is that much harder for most people. The only part that really shows is the grip. At least give a full size a try sometime. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
At least give a full size a try sometime. You might be surprised.
Uhhh, he clearly stated he has several full size models.:confused:
I don't have a pure "officer's model" but I carry daily a Wilson CQB Compact. Utterly reliable and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: frame size

Recently I traded into a well-used all steel Combat Commander. Haven't had one this size for 30 years. Forgot how GOOD they feel!!

I had been looking for the 'LW' version or really the OM when this one fell into my hands. I'm entirely pleased with it; it's not too light for recoil/steadiness of aim, yet has the comfort of the longer barrels only 3/4" shorter....until I can compare side by side, the LW version is no longer calling to me.

I'm not familiar with DW products first hand. Recent experience with Charles Daly and PT1911 makes me lean ever more toward what I've shot extensively, which is full size Colt and Kimber.

A buddy has an Officer Model. Always having trouble keeping it functional. Then again, he has trouble keeping his Harley and his Nissan pick up running too.

Pretty much an individual thing, which is why there are so many choices.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I haven't had any problems out of my Kimber Ultra CDP...I know people who love their Springfield Armory compact too.

It has to do with the engineering and design and the cyclic rate (timing)

Good luck,

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will have to look at the Dan Wesson. That is one that hadn't crossed my mind. Looking at the shorter barrel for a Jackass Leather Co. shoulder rig. On the full size 1911s, the barrel sticks out about an inch too far. And the lighter weight of an OACP type pistol would be a plus. All my 1911s are 100% reliable (to date), reliability is my top concern. Can't carry in Illinois, but can on your own property. Carrying on the side is a pain when working in the yard. Not that I am paranoid, just better safe than sorry. Short story. Neighbor is a neat freak. Tools always cleaned when done, but back into original cartons, stored neatly on bench, blah, blah, blah. Goes out to do some woodworking, grabs a box, EMPTY. Checks another box, EMPTY. Yep, they stole all his tools and but all the cartons back on the bench. Was not happy. Thanks for the replies, great forum.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good luck with your decision making and sorting through all the suggestions. I happen to be partial to the 1911 and own an ample collection in different sizes, but all in .45 ACP.

For CCW, I use a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry. I have a Colt Officer's ACP that I carry every once in a while. Also have a S & W 1911 with a 4" barrel as well as a Sig. In my opinion, this size weapon is a nice combination of size and performance. I don't seem to have the problems that other people seem to be plagued with when it comes to these size weapons. Religiously, I field strip and clean them after each and every trip to the range. The recoil springs get changed on a schedule as do a full and complete disassembly for a good cleaning.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recently acquired a Kimber Ultra Carry in stainless. I have only put about 150 rounds thru it but it ran great with three different kinds of HP's and most of my 20year old reloads. It is accurate for me but does shoot a bit to the left at 7 yards, might be my grip. I have to go back to the range and shoot some more.
Stainless, alloy frame, excellent carry gun.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Although not technically an Officer's sized pistol, I've heard nothing but good things about the Dan Wesson CCO. Unfortunately, the CCO is way out of my price range at this time, or I would have one already.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How 'bout a Kimber CDPII Compact?
Officer frame, commander slide, all for about a grand.
I carry a Kimber CDPII Ultra, very happy with it, only wish I had bought a Compact.
Now I'm contemplating a LB Stinger or a DW CCO.
Both are hard to find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dan Wesson CBOB. It also comes with the Ed Brown bobtail which will make a big difference in carry. Very reliable and within that price range. I suggest you check it out if you're interested. They are manufactured by CZ.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Kimber Compact that I really like. Officer sized with shorter barrel, 4", and grip. For me the grip is the more important factor in CCW as for me it prints less. The Commander is a short barrel standard grip. For me it does not meet my goals of a smaller CCW piece.

·
Registered
598 Posts
some people say the smaller 1911's are less reliable. i wonder how much of this information is first hand and how much is just repeating what they have heard or read somewhere else. i have both a springfield micro and champion and have never had a problem with either. also because of the huge amount of aftermarket accessories i wonder how many good guns have been ruined by shade tree gunsmiths or some guy that sits behind a bench in a gun shop with some mail order certificate. anyway i am very happy with my springers and i am sure there are some other brands that are reliable too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dan Wesson or perhaps Fusion

I would agree with what everyone is saying about DW. They make a great product and IMO is an exceptional value. If you are looking for more "custom" features than I would check out fusion firearms. They do full custom builds and have a great following. Check out both the DW and Fusion subforums here on this sight in the manufacturers section. You will find very loyal and happy customers. IMO you won't be disappointed in either a DW or a Fusion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts