1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to find some windage adjustable, tactical (at least two holes per side of ring), extended (at least one ring extended) scope rings. I found some on the Millet site, but they're back ordered, and I was hoping someone might know where I could get some ASAP.

I've checked all the usual suspects with no results (except for Millet). I've done Google searches and have only come up with the Millet rings (which are not tactical - they only have one screw hole per side of ring). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

[edit] ... for Weaver/Picatinny rail mount...

·
Registered
8,012 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never seen windage adjustable rings. Usually, the adjustments are made with the scope, and you want the rings to be mounted rock solid.

I'm a fan of US Optics rings. http://www.usoptics.com/catalog/category/view/s/rings-and-mounts/id/33/
Windage adjustable rings are just as "solid" as normal ones. The method of attaching to the mount is where the windage adjustment is. When they're adjusted to where you need them, windage-wise, the should be tight to the mount, if done correctly.

I've known they made them for quite a while, I just didn't know they made them with extended rings. It'll probably make them a little more easily "broken" (more leverage to screw things up), but I really would like to have closer eye relief. My new stock is longer (per the needs of my pull length) and it offsets my scope to an uncomfortable distance where I have to almost stretch my neck to get a clean scope picture. :(

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
OK, you understand that the "windage" adjustment for those is not used to adjust the zero on your scope, right? They are made that way to adjust themselves to each other. This ensures that they are perfectly straight. I would only buy these if I had a gun where the scope mounts weren't aligned already.

These would be good for a gun like the Ruger Mini-14 that has mounts milled into the receiver to get the rings aligned properly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
... but I really would like to have closer eye relief. My new stock is longer (per the needs of my pull length) and it offsets my scope to an uncomfortable distance where I have to almost stretch my neck to get a clean scope picture. :(
So, you can't move your scope backwards in your cuurent rings to shorten the eye relief?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, you understand that the "windage" adjustment for those is not used to adjust the zero on your scope, right? They are made that way to adjust themselves to each other. This ensures that they are perfectly straight. I would only buy these if I had a gun where the scope mounts weren't aligned already.

These would be good for a gun like the Ruger Mini-14 that has mounts milled into the receiver to get the rings aligned properly.
This ^^ coming from someone who didn't even know this type of rings existed before I posted that link...?

That's exactly what that adjustment is for - windage in centering your scope. No, it isn't for fine-tuning the crosshairs; that's what the turret adjustments are for. But for scopes that have fine adjustment (1/8 inch @ 100 yds per click or finer) and the mount isn't exactly centered/aligned, you need that gross adjustment to get enough leeway in your fine adjustment.

Which is why I asked if anyone knew where I could find some. Which is why I DIDN'T ask what that adjustment is for; I already know what it's for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, you can't move your scope backwards in your cuurent rings to shorten the eye relief?
No, it's at its farthest position to the rear already. I could live with it without extended rings, but I'd like it to be right - to fit me comfortably.

I may end up having to get some that aren't extended. I've lived with it this long having to stretch a little.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts

Sounds authoritative, all right, but patently fallacious. ;) Windage-adjustable rings ARE used for zeroing the scope! Duh!! Why do you think they call it "windage adjustable?" :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds authoritative, all right, but patently fallacious. ;) Windage-adjustable rings ARE used for zeroing the scope! Duh!! Why do you think they call it "windage adjustable?" :)
Yeah, right? My first clue was the person didn't even know windage adjustable rings existed before finding this thread.

Meh, it's the internet, where everyone's an authority on any subject just because they say they are. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Lol.. how does the number of screws used to hold down the cap determine tactical-ness? :rofl:

My friend's friend's Burris rings have 3 holes per side... my TPS only have 2.... does that make his 50% more tactical?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol.. how does the number of screws used to hold down the cap determine tactical-ness? :rofl:

My friend's friend's Burris rings have 3 holes per side... my TPS only have 2.... does that make his 50% more tactical?
Who said the number of holes dictated "tactical-ness"?

Tactical scope rings have two or more holes to stabilize the rings - make them stronger so they withstand more abuse (from recoil or impact), and they're usually made thicker.

Standard rings have one or two holes and are usually made thinner to reduce weight rather than absorb damage.

Did you have a link to some rings like what I'm looking for, or were you just looking for someone to relieve you of your ignorance?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I've been trying to find some windage adjustable, tactical (at least two holes per side of ring), extended (at least one ring extended) scope rings. I found some on the Millet site, but they're back ordered, and I was hoping someone might know where I could get some ASAP.

I've checked all the usual suspects with no results (except for Millet). I've done Google searches and have only come up with the Millet rings (which are not tactical - they only have one screw hole per side of ring). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

[edit] ... for Weaver/Picatinny rail mount...

Who said the number of holes dictated "tactical-ness"?
You did.

By the way... your rail is incorrect, weaver and picatinny are not the same thing. Weaver rings will fit on a MIL-STD-1913 rail, but "picatinny rings" will not fit a weaver rail. I would get a MIL-STD-1913 rail, that's more tactical. Pardon the ignorance.

EDIT... since I'm such a nice guy... I've had a few sets of TPS rings for my scopes... well built, hold tight, and they do a good job of aligning the scope in the rings.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Well, I have heard of rings like this before, I'd just never heard of anyone using them for actually zeroing their scope. My comment was based on this from the manufacturer:
Angle-Loc™ Windage Adjustable Extension Rings are the most ruggedly durable way to precisely align your scope with your receiver.
They are the ones that say it is used to align the scope with the receiver.

But, you're the authority. I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Well, I have heard of rings like this before, I'd just never heard of anyone using them for actually zeroing their scope. My comment was based on this from the manufacturer:They are the ones that say it is used to align the scope with the receiver.

But, you're the authority. I guess I was wrong.
The "windage-adjustable" rings do permit some latitude in aligning the scope with the receiver. "Aligning the scope with the receiver" also gives you more latitude in gross windage adjustment before using the scope's turrets for more finely adjusting windage. If one would only read the instructions that come with windage-adjustable rings, one would realize that, that information is included in the instructions. ;)

Sorry that my previous response was a little acerbic...probably heard the word, "Obama" on the tube as I was keyboarding. Makes me gag every time I hear it. :barf:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You did.

By the way... your rail is incorrect, weaver and picatinny are not the same thing. Weaver rings will fit on a MIL-STD-1913 rail, but "picatinny rings" will not fit a weaver rail. I would get a MIL-STD-1913 rail, that's more tactical. Pardon the ignorance.

EDIT... since I'm such a nice guy... I've had a few sets of TPS rings for my scopes... well built, hold tight, and they do a good job of aligning the scope in the rings.
The number of holes is only one factor. They do not dictate whether a set of rings is tactical or not; they only help identify them (as I mentioned in a previous comment).

There's nothing wrong with my rail. I mentioned Weaver/Picatinny as opposed to the proprietary mounts.

For example, the mounts that I have in the link above will fit either Weaver or Picatinny. The only difference between Weaver and Picatinny is that Weaver rails are not a standard distance between slots, while Picatinny is. Rings with one ridge on the bottom (that fits into the slot on the mount) will most definitely fit Weaver or Picatinny as all other dimensions are the same. You might also have noticed that I'm not looking for a mount. Please read my original post and refresh your memory as to why I started this thread.

And, of course I'll pardon your ignorance. After all, the ignorant person simply does not know that what he's doing is undesirable/counterproductive. The stupid person, however, knows and continues to do it regardless of that knowledge. Stupidity is hardly forgivable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I have heard of rings like this before...
I've never seen rings that were adjustable in any direction.
Those were your words.

As far as the function of the windage adjustment on the rings, "aligning the scope with the receiver" IS zeroing the scope, just on a grosser scale (as I mentioned above).

If you want to continue your monolithic display of trollery, please do it somewhere else. However, if you actually have something useful to add, please do so. I could understand if you were just typing all this other stuff to warm yourself up for the "moment of truth" or whatever, but the juvenile banter is doing nothing more than causing me to check this thread repeatedly... and find nothing more helpful than school kids throwing rocks. In other words, I think I hear your mother calling you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts