1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. This is my first post. So bear with me. I recently acquired my first ever 1911. It is a 1972 colt combat commander. LOVE it so far, except that I only got to put 14 rounds through it before the extractor broke on me. Those 14 rounds felt dang good though and impressed with the accuracy and easy of function. The colt just feels good. Anyways I was wondering who I should get a new extractor from. Any suggestions? Also if y'all have any tips on spare parts I should keep handy I'd appreciate it. Like I said I'm a newb to the 1911 platform.

P.s. I would also appreciate it if could get some info on the different finishes out there. The colt looks like it's about 41 years old. About right. It's blued now.
Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome to the forum oregongunner. You could post an ad in the parts section of his forum for parts. You could also check at coltsmfg.com and some auction sites like gunbroker. Hope you get it fixed soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The colt website is out of stock. I will have to look into the wilson. But I've heard there good to. I was also curious if I got a good deal on the colt. I picked it up for $650 with 2 mags, 100 rounds of fmj and the guy said he will pay for the cost of the extractor. I got it from a match shooter. The colt has had work done by a well known gunsmith in my area. Trigger work, feed ramp has been polished and worked on, fiber optic sights, and an oversized mag release. But it has seen some use. Look good still, it's just time for a new finish.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I'd go with Wilson or Ed Brown or Les Baer if it' a pain to deal with Colt. Brownell's should have any ya want.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I agree with Kevyn - a Wilson Combat extractor is the way to go if you can't get a genuine Colt part. I have had a very bad experience with another name brand extractor.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first 1911. Be careful though, they ARE addictive. :)

Got a pic of your new blaster?

I think your price paid, depending on condition and the quality of the mods you listed, is either just about right to outstanding. It's just hard, in my neck of the swamp, to find Colt 1911's for less than $700 or so, that that would be lower G to VG conditions. There are folks who frown on ANY mods, or many mods and prefer "their" `1911 Colts to be 100% original from the factory. Then there are those who are not so inclined. To each their own but a pic (or four) would be helpful in giving you a thumb's up on your purchase with regard to what you paid.

Hope this helps, again...welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Colt uses a few Wilson parts on their top of the line Government Models...Case closed for me. The internal extractor in my opinion is one of the weakest points on the gun but take heart...The weak point can run 30,000 rds if installed and tuned correctly. never drop the slide with a rd in the tube. In fact, never drop the slide w/o feeding a rd to the tube from the magazine. And since you are possibly new to S/A automatic never lower the hammer on a live rd. Rack the slide to eject the rd. first with no magazine then lower the hammer on an empty tube. The half cock position is NOT a safe condition to carry a live Rd in the tube either...that's why the safety won't engage. there's more of course but experiment with live ammo somewhere that's okay to shoot.

The best reason to own a 1911 platform is the trigger...you can set em up like wheel guns...not to mention a 1911 is less complex than a revolver.

You said you were new...so just some tips....A most enjoyable firearm...you love 'em or hate 'em in general...Every handgun firearm I own has a freaking hammer--that I can see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input... I was a LITTLE IMPATIENT and bought the only extractor I could find in the area. It is a Mathews. Put it in and adjusted it myself. Went right up the mountain to give her a workout and I'm happy to say she sent all 100 or so cases flying. Although I decided that the way she's setup now the triggers to sensitive for a carry gun. I'm going to try and get some pics of the colt on here next. I'm not very computer savvy. Also still wondering about good finishes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts