1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to here and 1911's in general. I know enough to get my way around
What I am looking for is to find a price (or estimate) on what I would have to spend on an original 1911A1 (by that meaning one that was issued during WW2). I would love to have one. It is realistic? Are they to be found or is noone selling them due to sentiment/collectability? Thanks for any help on this matter

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
They are found for sale all the time, I'd say at least two or three a month on each online auction site alone. Problem is, there they usually fetch more than top dollar because so many folks are bidding on them at once. A typical WW2 Colt M1911A1 will bring as much as $1400, even more if it's a rare bird of some sort.

BTW I'm moving this thread to the USGI forum.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. Also Admin sorry for the post on wrong forum.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Lupey, welcome to the USGI forum. Since you have not bought one yet there are a couple places you can go on the web to do research and make sure you get a good one at a good price.

Check out these links and feel free to post any questions you might have as myself, DSL and a few of the others around here a big GI gun nuts and are happy to help out: Here are the links:
DSKs 1911 Site: http://www.geocities.com/m1911_m1911a1/index.html

My 1911 Site: www.CoolGunSite.com

Cheers
Ty

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
"DSL"???

Ditto what Ty said. Get edumacated on GI guns before you buy, so you don't end up spending $1,000 on a refinished shooter. Either of our two Web sites should be a help to you.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the info. Very Very informative board here. On the issue of a WWII 1911 how do I tell if it is an orginal? I would like one that has not been rebuilt (if that is possible) meaning all original. Is that to much to ask for?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Lupey,
No its not impossible there are plenty out there but you need to look close. When looking at a 1911 need to make sure you understand which stamps are applied after the finish was applied. These stamps are the best way to tell if a gun has been refinished. When applied after finish you will see bare metal and burnishing around the impacted area. To really see this you need a magnifying glass, there are some real good refinish jobs out there so take a mag and look close, dont be shy its your hard earned money.

other sources include Gun and Knives web site it has a 1911 forum that has some of the greatest collectors in the field (link is on my site) if you find something our group cant help with (we got some 1911 hardcore junkies ourselves) they will be able to help you.

Take your time do your research, ask lots of questions, dont buy a gun because of the story someone might tell you (this one belonged to Adm. Nimitz himself) unless they have real good documentation, even then ask the forums about the docs.

Net: There are plenty of good examples, but are enough bad ones you have to look close. 1 out of 3 I see our wrong parts, refinshed, or mix masters.

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
Originally posted by Lupey:
On the issue of a WWII 1911 how do I tell if it is an orginal? I would like one that has not been rebuilt (if that is possible) meaning all original. Is that to much to ask for?
Lupey, my site goes into great detail about determining original finish. Granted it takes a trained eye in many cases, but a casual refinish job (meaning not a deliberate attempt to make it look original) can be detected by even a novice if you follow a few simple points. Just look at the pictures on my Website that show you what an original finish looks like (i.e. follow the link on the main page).

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definately use all the sites plus all the knowledge here when I come across one that peaks my interest. Unfortunately my Grandmother sold my Grandfathers when he passed away a few years ago (along with his M1) Really upset about it and I havent been able to track down the buyer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Lupey,
I just went to a gunshow in Bozeman(small town by most folks stds.) There were no less than five U.S.G.I.s there. There was everything from a very good 1911 Army (1914 1ssue for $1200, a 1919 that had been completely butchered for comp. shooting for $695, A 1943 Rem-Rand with no bore left, arsenal refinish with some exterior pits for $695, a 1943 Ithaca that had been de-milled by cutting the frame in half, then re-welded at a later date and re parked, $600 and he was willing to negotiate. And lastly an absolutely honest late 43/early 44 Colt. 98% old dark parkerizing for $750. By reading DSK's and Ty's webpages I was able to correctly assertain that the weapon had not been refinished( correct burnishing on cartouches), had the correct slide to frame markings and inspectors cartouches, correct grips, proper blued barrel( unfortunately the bore only rates a "very good" from some corrosive ammo), with correct Colt markings. The weapon is basically pristine and tight, only showing slight holster wear. By reading the info on those two web-sites, I was able to correctly identify all those items. The magazine was an old polished blue commercial job, so I was able to talk the dealer down $30, and ended up with the gun at $720. These sites are a fabulous wealth of hard bought info. I stripped the weapon today and spent 3+ hours lovingly removing WWII cosmoline from the internals ( my wife calls it "bonding time"). I would guess the weapon has less than 100 rds through it as the finish on the breech-face and on the rails is just about perfect. I own quite a few 1911 style pistols, but this is my first U.S.G.I.. Thanks to Ty and DSK, this wont be my last. Good luck and good hunting for your USGI, I'll be looking for your story
Montana

·
Registered
131 Posts
Montana Cop

I agree 100%, Ty's and dsk's sites are outstanding, and have been a B I G help in identifying USGI Models.

Sounds like you picked up a great pistol and for an excellent price. Those guns go for WAY MORE out here in Connecticut and I often have to wade through a lot of worn out, faked/dummied-up, redone examples before finding a keeper.

Happy hunting and I look foward to hearing about the next find.

Regards,

Roger D

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
As always, Ty and I are glad to help. Those websites are a labor of love, and we don't profit at all from them. Mine was simply the net result of a very boring winter and wet early spring.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website

1 - 14 of 14 Posts