1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a few revolvers from a private entity. One is a S&W Model 63 (22lr) that I can use for classes, and that one is not a question as far as value. The other is a S&W 27-2 in very nice shape - I don't know what the relative value is on those these days in general, so looking to get a ball park figure. What say you gents?

Reactions: Old Fart

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
Sorry, I can’t help with value as it would just be a W.A.G. but it would be a great pick up for you.(y)

·
Registered
416 Posts
27-2 depending on condition and barrel length, can be going from the $500.00 to 1K <> check GB to give you and ball park idea

·
Registered
15,751 Posts
Personally I think paying the current price for a .357 in an N frame (around 800 to 1000 bucks) around here is silly when you can get a .357 in an K or L frame for less money (cause there's more of them). Unless you have huge hands the N frame is harder to shoot in double action than a K/L frame and is really unnecessary for the .357. I competed with N frames for years and the first time I shot an L frame I was astounded at how much easier it was for double action work.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Model 63 I gifted with its box & papers to my grandson 2 years ago is probably worth in the $600 - $700 neighborhood. Maybe more, but I haven’t kept up with that market lately...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This is wild. Might be a lot of differences between regions- I'm in the northeast and I would expect to see a 27-2 for at least $800 now on a shelf-AT LEAST. They tend to get less desirable as the barrels get longer. What barrel length are we talking about? They're also more desirable (although possibly warrantless) with the S serial number as opposed to N.

As previously stated by DR505- any N frame that is mechanically good is worth $500.

The other bonus of a vintage model is that there is no ugly lock on the side. They aren't making 27-2s anymore so it'll only go up in value. My 27-2 is my most favorite revolver. Hands down.

·
Registered
24,913 Posts
If the price was right I would likely jump on the model 63. A lot of good points have been made about the model 27. So I do not really have anything significant to add concerning that gun. While I do like my model 28s. I like my models 586, 686, 19, and 66 better.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
We seem to get our share of Model 27's in our shop. Most seem to be 27-2's and the worst of them sold for just over 800. The better ones around 1200 with boxes etc. On the internet gun sale sites it seems the 3 1/2" brings a slight premium, but here it seems condition brings the premium. Would sure like to see a photo of the one you are considering.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
At the Tulsa Gun Show back in April a gun with holster wear and honest use regardless of Frame N,K,L, $900 was the starting figure, Guns with original box, tools oiled paper in near new condition were priced at $1500. So the range would be from $900-$1500 depending on condition and accessories. I have not seen a S&W M-27 in nice condition for less than $1000 in the last 5 years.. Maybe a 28 for $800 but sure haven't seen any 27s for that money

·
Super Moderator
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen! I hope to get a chance to look at both guns this weekend, and I don't have any pics yet. I like the N frame guns, and have a 24-3 from years ago that is a dream to shoot, so I suspect the 27 will be just as nice. The person selling these knows guns and is trustworthy, so if he says nice condition, it is likely that they are. Hopefully I will find out in a few days.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Considering NIB model 27 go for about $900, a fine condition 27-2 with no "lock" and forged parts rather than MIM, and real bluing, and viintage cocobolo wood stocks should go for >$1000. JMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
990 Posts
We have always had a weakness for kit guns and the models 63, 651 and 631 are favorites. The 2" versions bring the biggest money now but the 4" are better if you are going to shoot them a lot.

Model 27-2 .357 mags are all great guns and they don't make them like that anymore IMHO.

Buy them both and let us see them. Good luck.

Reactions: Idahoser

·
Registered
874 Posts
Can't really add much to what has already been said, but I think many of the estimates are a bit "light". S&W's, and especially N-frames, have been trending upwards for the last year. As has been said, depends on condition, barrel length, originality, accessories and age (-2 span the S & N serial prefixes). I most recently bought an S serial number, 6", gun only in VG condition for $1295. That is what the dealer thought it was worth. They overlooked the fact that it was adorned with a set of "Cokes", which, by themselves, are worth $500 - $800 - so that one was a bargain.

Good luck with your purchases.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 - 20 of 53 Posts