1911Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I have a chance to pick up a few revolvers from a private entity. One is a S&W Model 63 (22lr) that I can use for classes, and that one is not a question as far as value. The other is a S&W 27-2 in very nice shape - I don't know what the relative value is on those these days in general, so looking to get a ball park figure. What say you gents?
What I do is look at all the gunbroker sales of the model. Then use my estimate of condition to place the value within the GB range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd buy the N-frame. Traditionally, they have appreciated more and are more collectible. If the M27 is really nice, shoot light loads and preserve the top strap. It will do better than your 401K as far as increasing in value.

I've attached the most recent (online today) from the Blue Book of Gun Values for both. I've found that BBGV is a bit lower than actual retail, more of a wholesale guide. A 100% M27-2, P&R, 6" is well into four figures.

M63.jpg
M27.jpg

Reactions: muzzleblast...

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I will try to get some pictures up in the next day or two, but the 27-2 was already sold. What I ended up with is the model 63 with what looks to be a 4" barrel, but is probably a 5" (definitely too long for a 3"), so must have been made before 2009. The other one I was able to procure was a model 66 with what appears to be a 5" barrel, but I haven't measure either one yet. They are in excellent condition, in the original boxes, with the original grips (they are wearing some custom grips that are very nice). I picked both of them up for $1500 total for the two. They both have sweet single action triggers, and the double action trigger is a little heavy but smooth all the way back. No frame locks on either one.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I will try to get some pictures up in the next day or two, but the 27-2 was already sold. What I ended up with is the model 63 with what looks to be a 4" barrel, but is probably a 5" (definitely too long for a 3"), so must have been made before 2009. The other one I was able to procure was a model 66 with what appears to be a 5" barrel, but I haven't measure either one yet. They are in excellent condition, in the original boxes, with the original grips (they are wearing some custom grips that are very nice). I picked both of them up for $1500 total for the two. They both have sweet single action triggers, and the double action trigger is a little heavy but smooth all the way back. No frame locks on either one.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If they are both in their respective original boxes the barrel length will be on the end label.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If they are both in their respective original boxes the barrel length will be on the end label.
I looked today while cleaning the Model 63. They are both 4 in. barrels. Cloudy outside and not enough light to get good pictures, so no pics yet. While cleaning the Model 63, I took the crane off and found semi-solidified oil on the barrel of the crane, so it hasn't been shot in a while. It got a good cleaning. Tomorrow will be cleaning day for the Model 66. Maybe it will be light enough to get a few pics of each.

ETA - The Model 63 is a six shot, while their website shows it to be a 8 shot, so not sure when this one was made.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I collect a few things as we all probably do.I have found that the various auction cites are often a good guide. Example , been looking for a Springfield V-16 for a long time.Prices ranges are fairly wide.MTC

·
Registered
82 Posts
I understand that the 27-2 was sold. For future reference: In 2008, I paid $650 for a new looking Blue 8 3/8". Last weekend in Slidell, LA, a friend paid $720 for a Blue 8 3/8". I thought that that was a great deal. A few years ago I sold NIB 8 3/8" with box and all papers for $1200. Other parts of the country may vary.

Here is a photo of the one that I sold. Notice no turn ring or other wear.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Pristine Joe, great gun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a chance to pick up a few revolvers from a private entity. One is a S&W Model 63 (22lr) that I can use for classes, and that one is not a question as far as value. The other is a S&W 27-2 in very nice shape - I don't know what the relative value is on those these days in general, so looking to get a ball park figure. What say you gents?
I know the model 63 is selling for about. $1 000 on gunbroker. I would check gunbroker to see what the model 27 is selling for and it will give you a close selling value is for one. Don't go with the prices the guns are not selling for on gunbroker but the prices the guns are actually selling for. You also have to compare the shape the gun is in with the one you have. The other problem with gun prices right now is defund the police, riotors , and Biden the ass clown. All these factors are driving prices up on the high end right now and who knows if they will ever come down. I can tell you I purchased a model 63 for $249 back in the late 1970's and you can't find one for that price anymore. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
According to the research by a very generous member, Pizza Bob, the serial number on the model 66 dates to 1976, while the serial number on the model 63 dates to 1981. I will try to get some pictures posted this evening.

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
According to the research by a very generous member, Pizza Bob, the serial number on the model 66 dates to 1976, while the serial number on the model 63 dates to 1981. I will try to get some pictures posted this evening.
For what you describe you did well. I would rather have a model 66 over a model 27 anyway. You kind of made me jump when you originally stated that it had a five inch barrel though. I did not think that they ever made them like that. I do not think that you would have any difficulty turning both guns over for a grand a piece if you wanted to. Just sayin. Clean revolvers in general are hard to come by these days.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts